User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2004, 10:36 AM   #16
Jeff620RXC
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 567
I would echo the previous posts.
The KTM's are quality built and they are the most dirt oriented of their class.
They come with all the upgrades you'd have to do the jap bikes.
Jeff620RXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 10:54 AM   #17
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,397
I guess it comes down to focus. What is the focus of your riding, and what would be the best tool for that?

I've owned a lot of bikes. My last big purchase was an 1150 GS. Got a couple of other bikes, but when I moved back to Canada I re-examined what I was going to be doing with a bike. I wanted to go back to riding dirt, but I still wanted to travel. So what was out there for me?

The GS is too much work off-road. So I looked around. Owned a KLR before, so based on that. I looked at the choices. 400's are great in the woods, suck on the road, especially loaded. 600's seemed to have a better balance of abilities, anything bigger would be too much work in tight woods. So in that range there was the KLR, XR650L, DR650, XT600, Husqvarna, Husaberg, and the 640 Adv.

After multiple knee surgeries I needed something with a lot of suspension, I needed the bike to do more of the work. But I still wanted to go on trips. So the 640 Adv was the only bike that fit the bill for my needs.

Doesn't hurt that I'm 6'3", so the height was a bonus.
Old 11-11-2004, 11:08 AM   #18
dirtrider
Dusty Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,314
Let's keep this thread alive!

When I was looking to buy a dual sport, I went at it with an open mind. I wanted a bike that could excite me and handle the type of riding that I do. In my research, I rode quite a few bikes to narrow it down.

ATK 605: Very cool bike with high end components, great suspension, Rotax engine, and great looks. I almost bought one, but I was worried about getting parts if needed and lack of dealers. Also the aftermarket offered very little in racks, paniers, seats, etc.....

KLR650: Great bike for the price, but by the time I upgraded it for my aggressive riding style, I would have had almost as much money in it as my KTM with less resale value.

XR650: The L model w/ e start is cumbersome, old fashioned, and has terrible ergonomics but is bullet proof. The off road model had no e start, but otherwise was high on my list. Great engine! Both needed fuel tank upgrades.

DR650: Reliable and great value, but like the KLR, was lacking in power, brakes, and suspension but also had a small metal fuel tank. With upgrades, the DR can be a fantastic bike.

GS650 Dakar: Very cool bike, and I may own one someday, but it would be an addition to my KTM and used only when a lot of highway miles would have to be endured. If I do get one, I will have to upgrade the suspension, exhaust, bars, seat, and add Touratech tanks. If it were more off road worthy, it could possibly be my only bike. Stock it lacks ground clearance, power, and suspension. Instead, I'll probably buy a 950 Adventure and keep my 640 KTM.

640 LC4: The bike I ended up with because it had great power, stainless Supertrapp exhaust (upgraded to SXC silencer), strong Brembo brakes, 4.8 gal tank, alloy bars, e start, excellent WP suspension, stainless steel braided brake lines and oil lines, O ring chain, and great looks. The KTM only needed hand guards, knobbies, and a skid plate to be ready to rock. The bike does have more vibration than the others and lacks long distance highway comfort, but both of these problems were easy to overcome. I bought the bike new and I have just over 11K and most of those miles have been off road.

This is all opinion of course and if someone was interested in buying a dual sport, I would recommend riding as many as possible and finding the bike that fits your needs.
2001 KTM 640 LC4 Sold
I only like two kinds of women, foreign and domestic
dirtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 11:47 AM   #19
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by matey peeps
OK, here's a KTM related question, well sorta. It has gotten COLD in a big hurry here, and I'm halfways considering winterizing the bikes. Of course I'll change the oil, add fuel stabilizer etc etc, but I'm wondering, once I add the fuel stab and run it thru, should I turn off the gas and let the carby run dry? I've usually just let em sit with stabilized gas in the carbys with no ill effects.
I have had my LC4 Adv. since Sept. 2002.. I thought about winterize the bike in the past, but never did. Last winter we had a period of 21 days that temperature did not rise above 30F, and I was worried that my LC4 Adv. which had been sitting around in total of 50 somedays with the same gas in the tank would be in need of a carb rebuild or some expensive/time comsuming mechanical work before I would ever get it started again, but instead, I put the trickle charger on for a few hours and a electric heater fan below the engine case, fired it right up with the choke on, just as I would for the rest of the year. I guess there is no need to winterize my KTM.
Old 11-11-2004, 11:47 AM   #20
PASSMORE
Just the last name...

Oddometer: 4,246
Hi KLR girl...

The answer was two fold for me as to why I honed in on a 640.

First up was in initial selection I looked at the running gear between it and other large thumpers and found the brakes, suspension, and range to be superior to bikes such as the KLR (sorry! not bashing!). I tend to try to get into the best gear first off so I have less to modify as I tweak it for my needs.

The other consideration is that I have always enjoyed what I perceive to be somewhat unique machinery - this fit the bill (as evidenced by not seeing a single 640 adv in the lot at the San Mateo IMS show). Just kinda cool not to be riding something you do not see coming at you everyday...

M

Quote:
Originally Posted by azklrgirl
Okay, I have a KTM question--apologies to creeper because I'm not trying to turn his thread into KTM Stories either but you guys seem like the practical experts. I know a bunch of guys who ride KTMs (640s and 950s). A number of them rode GSs before but at least one bought a 950 as his first bike! I'm no techno wizard and all I know about DS riding is what I've learned in the last 5 months and I'm aware that we all choose our bikes for sometimes odd reasons....but I'd like to know...

What is it about KTMs that makes them the bike you wanted? How are they different from other DS bikes? What can you do that you couldn't do with other bikes that you've ridden? When I last rode bikes there was no such thing as a KTM (that I know of) so where did they come from? What is the difference between a 640 and a 950 (besides the obvious)? If I wanted a KTM why or why wouldn't this be a good thing?
Old 11-11-2004, 12:04 PM   #21
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,299
The stuff that sold me on the 640 Enduro was:
Electric Start
Great Suspension
Big Brakes
Light Weight
Power
Nice Engineering
Reasonable Seat

This is my only bike, so I wanted maximum versatility, which is a different thing for everybody. For me the combination of the above features lets me do the standard ride to work, backroads hooning & adventure touring duties that all of the thumpers in it's class will do well, and also have the ability to easily ride the 4x4 roads, forest & single track encountered in the trail rides that are so frequently organised in my area.

Oh yeah, I think I have almost assimilated another inmate into the Advrider Thumper Collective - My bro in law has put his RF900 up for sale and is looking for a DR650 roll on summer!

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 12:17 PM   #22
matey peeps
Bead Buddy

Oddometer: 3,311
well i guess what sold me on the KTM was primarily the engine. puts out more ponies than any of the comparable models. big tank is almost a bigger factor than the engine, as are the top-shelf components. and the fact that it actually stops. brakes are good.

and it's goofy looking. (i have an 02 adventure) i like bikes you don't see every day. i've only seen one other in all my travels.

but most of all, it does what i do better than any other bike i've looked at or ridden.
matey peeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 01:36 PM   #23
AusieRob
Just Gas It!!

Oddometer: 377
Why KTM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by azklrgirl
Okay, I have a KTM question--What is it about KTMs that makes them the bike you wanted?
Ok, decloaking!!
Hi AZKLRGirl, Your question, sparked my imagination, so I thought I'd jump in and add my comments.
I've got a 99 640 Adv. Why? Well long history, when I was much younger, poorer, and a lot more crazy, I use to compete in national enduro championship. I ran mainly IT Yamahas (175 right though to 490's) plus a mix of many other brands. Those with the money ran KTM's, Husqvarna's and some Macio's and Bultaco's (did I say it was a while ago ). I looked longingly at those machines particularly the Husky's and KTM's. I could regularly wipe the floor with them (modest huh!!). Though this was an issue of the rider not the bike. Ie. the top 1%ers, geezz it didn't matter with those guys, put' em on 50cc kids bike, 1 gear, no clutch, flat tire, and one arm tied behind... etc, They'd still blitz the rest of us..... Anyway, I digress.

For me most bikes out there are good. Each with there own pro and cons KTM's included. But for me riding the KTM, I feel that this bike is uncompromising. I feel that this bike is not pretending to be anything else than what it is, a dirt bike designed to be quick off-road. That doesn't mean that the bike doesn't do other things good, ask my mates when I blitzed then over a tight mountain pass, and them on their mega horses sports bikes Hmm.. Digressing again...
Why 640 not 950? Weight, manovability, the fact I can mussel the bike out of tight situations. I like being able to say I wonder where that goes, what's up/down there?? Gets a bit hairy at time but that's the adventure. Also I have the luxury of having a 2 wheeled barker lounge (BM R1100RT) for touring. I've done 400+ mile days on the 640, yeah you can do it but at the end of the day you know what you did, after 3 days!! . The RT is lots nicer for that, but that's what its design for. If I had to have 1 bike? I guess a 950 or GS would look good but I like my stable of thoroughbreds...
Back to lurking and laughing at antics of you guys... Keep up the good work...
Cheers
Robert

"Locusts...." :uhhuh
AusieRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 01:48 PM   #24
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 39,537
Good replies all, keep it up. Is there anyone out there that looked at the same parameters and came to a different solution-KLR,DR,Dakar, Honda? What made you go that way? Thanks.

Jurgen

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 02:01 PM   #25
scottcolbath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,644
What sold me on the 640 Adv. was the fact that JimJib let me take is to the Burning Liberal Festival. I essentially had an all day test ride. I loved the bike. Plenty of power, the suspension was great. The vibes didn't bother me.

So........I bought it.

My only gripe was with what I can only assume is my lack of dirt riding experiecnce, or tires or both. The bike wanted to wash out in the corners. Maybe I was't sitting far enough forward. Maybe there was too much air pressure in the tires. I know I need more miles under my ass before I make any conclusions.

S.C.
scottcolbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 02:13 PM   #26
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen
Good replies all, keep it up. Is there anyone out there that looked at the same parameters and came to a different solution-KLR,DR,Dakar, Honda? What made you go that way? Thanks.

Jurgen
pssst - KTM'ers thread...

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 03:19 PM   #27
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 39,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
pssst - KTM'ers thread...
There ya go getting all denominational on me.

Jurgen
frickin orangemen

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 03:25 PM   #28
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen
There ya go getting all denominational on me.

Jurgen
frickin orangemen
It was all that talk of clicks or cliques in JM that made me start the territorial [CENSORED] urinatin'.

There are a few threads around that compare those bikes, but I can't say you will find them with the search engine: KTM, BMW, 650 etc. all no good.

Old 11-11-2004, 03:34 PM   #29
dirtrider
Dusty Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,314
I'm in the clique, but not sure I want to be there.
2001 KTM 640 LC4 Sold
I only like two kinds of women, foreign and domestic
dirtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 03:54 PM   #30
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtrider
I'm in the clique, but not sure I want to be there.
Plausible deniability

You think you are not; therefore, you are not.