ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-24-2004, 06:58 PM   #106
rapiti
IOR Veteran
 
rapiti's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: On the island
Oddometer: 1,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtrider
I've been running an E Line skid on my EXC for 2 years and I can tell you it's been through two years of bouncing off of logs and glancing off of sharp edged rocks like these

and I have not broken one yet. They are not only strong, but they are light weight and don't resonate like an aluminum skid. There must be a reason KTM uses carbon skids on their Baja and Dakar bikes?
Weight/cheaper to fab up, once the mold is made. Thick enough, you are fine.
__________________
...its the best paint scheme that has ever been or ever will be on an Adv...-AussieRob
rapiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 10:20 PM   #107
Mack
Gone, but never forgotten. RIP, Mack...
 
Mack's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: Austin, Texas USA Native Oregonian
Oddometer: 3,797
I have to agree with Rapiti, Carbon-Kevlar is the stuff? Even on Commercial aircraft, where weight is a HUGE issue, Carbon-Kevlar is the composite of choice. Personally I even think it looks better.
__________________
Österreichische Motorräder und deutsche Autos. Wie wundervoll kann das Leben sein
Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 10:45 PM   #108
dirtrider
Dusty Adventurer
 
dirtrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Kalispell, Montana
Oddometer: 3,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack
I have to agree with Rapiti, Carbon-Kevlar is the stuff? Even on Commercial aircraft, where weight is a HUGE issue, Carbon-Kevlar is the composite of choice. Personally I even think it looks better.
If you look back at my post on pg 10, you'll notice that I said that the E Lines ARE carbon/kevlar, not just straight carbon fiber. A plain carbon skid plate would not last on my EXC.
__________________
2013 Husky TE511
2014 KTM 350 XC-F
2006 KTM Adv 950
2001 KTM 640 LC4 Sold
I only like two kinds of women, foreign and domestic
dirtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 11:11 PM   #109
Mack
Gone, but never forgotten. RIP, Mack...
 
Mack's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: Austin, Texas USA Native Oregonian
Oddometer: 3,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtrider
If you look back at my post on pg 10, you'll notice that I said that the E Lines ARE carbon/kevlar, not just straight carbon fiber. A plain carbon skid plate would not last on my EXC.
O' phooey, I am actually supposed to read your posts! Happy Turkey Day everyone!
__________________
Österreichische Motorräder und deutsche Autos. Wie wundervoll kann das Leben sein
Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 11:39 PM   #110
Esteban
Banned
 
Esteban's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Above Golden
Oddometer: 5,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtrider
I've been running an E Line skid on my EXC for 2 years and I can tell you it's been through two years of bouncing off of logs and glancing off of sharp edged rocks like these and I have not broken one yet. They are not only strong, but they are light weight and don't resonate like an aluminum skid. There must be a reason KTM uses carbon skids on their Baja and Dakar bikes?
Hey DirtRider,

You keep talking like that I am going to be $150 poorer. I might have to start charging royalties for my poetry to pay for the C/K fiber skid plate.

Happy Thankgiving to y'all
from cold frigid Colorado, where my bikes been mothbald
my new Diso boots are still shiny, my front TKC's brand new
and my front rim is cracked, nearly all the way through
but ole man winter he don't care one bit
cause left up to him, we got another 5 months of this shit !

Esteban
Esteban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 03:15 AM   #111
Buckster
Banned
 
Buckster's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Atlanta GA or London UK
Oddometer: 1,003
Spring upgrades

I am going to upgrade the springs on my Adv front and rear, I am going with a 76/250 rear and 4.8 s on the front, I may increase the front pre-load by a couple of mil as well, the maximum rider weight on the rear spring as standard is 75kg, I am 90kg, it is unlikely that a 75kg rider could reach the floor, so wtf did KTM fit these springs? The springs are linear, and I intend to stay with linear, progressive would be better for the road but can bite you off road, while I have the fork caps off I will retap them for Schrader valves.
Buckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 07:42 AM   #112
Tim
Beastly Adventurer
 
Tim's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Guernsey, Channel Islands, UK
Oddometer: 2,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude
KTM'S originated from Penton's John Penton sold to the Austrian's long ago but still attends KTM functions and lives in Ohio. A very cool guy. Read John's book and you will get the whole KTM story.
The Dude
Hey Dude, I thought it was the other way round - I understood that John Penton started selling KTMs in the USA which he re-badged as Pentons.
__________________
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying........."Damn..We F*cked Up" - Anon.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 08:20 AM   #113
rapiti
IOR Veteran
 
rapiti's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: On the island
Oddometer: 1,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTiM
Hey Dude, I thought it was the other way round - I understood that John Penton started selling KTMs in the USA which he re-badged as Pentons.
I had a Penton 125 with a Sachs motor as a kid. I understand there was collaboration, but I'm not sure I give JP all the credit for KTM. Kind of like Preston Petty doesn't get all the credit for Acerbis' success.
__________________
...its the best paint scheme that has ever been or ever will be on an Adv...-AussieRob
rapiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 09:38 AM   #114
ChrisC
Amal sex?
 
ChrisC's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: Prescott, Arizona USA Earth
Oddometer: 6,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapiti
I had a Penton 125 with a Sachs motor as a kid. I understand there was collaboration, but I'm not sure I give JP all the credit for KTM. Kind of like Preston Petty doesn't get all the credit for Acerbis' success.
KTM started in 1934 as a M/C dealer. They started building their own bikes in '53. I don't think John Penton is that old.....

CC
__________________
Chris
1974 Bultaco Sherpa T 350
1943 BSA M20WD
ChrisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 11:26 AM   #115
creeper OP
Still alive...
 
creeper's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Puget Sound
Oddometer: 10,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapiti
I had a Penton 125 with a Sachs motor as a kid. I understand there was collaboration, but I'm not sure I give JP all the credit for KTM. Kind of like Preston Petty doesn't get all the credit for Acerbis' success.
Paging rapiti... paging rapiti. Your flashback is waiting..........

__________________
So... how's tricks?
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 11:40 AM   #116
dirtrider
Dusty Adventurer
 
dirtrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Kalispell, Montana
Oddometer: 3,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack
O' phooey, I am actually supposed to read your posts! Happy Turkey Day everyone!
I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving too!

Esteban, I hope you don't mind that I borrowed your quote. I got a kick out of it and added it to my signature.

I checked E-Line to see if they made a skid for your KLR, but they don't offer it. They do, however, have it for your LC4. For anyone that may be interested in E Line skid plates, THIS is some interesting reading.
__________________
2013 Husky TE511
2014 KTM 350 XC-F
2006 KTM Adv 950
2001 KTM 640 LC4 Sold
I only like two kinds of women, foreign and domestic
dirtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 12:05 PM   #117
dirtrider
Dusty Adventurer
 
dirtrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Kalispell, Montana
Oddometer: 3,316
Ok guys, I'm not a historian so If I don't have exact facts, don't bust my balls. I've had the pleasure of meeting and talking with John Penton a couple of times. According to him, he was racing, I believe BSA's at the time and was also a dealer. After a weekend of racing and the bikes breaking or not working as John thought they should, he would call his rep and tell him what changes should be made to the line to make them more competitive and reliable. After months of hearing what was wrong with the bikes, the rep told John he should design his own damned bikes if he thought he could do it better. John took this as a challenge, and after talking to many bike companies, he ended up talking to KTM who was interested in his ideas. At the time, KTM was manufacturing small displacement street bikes and scooters. They began building John's vision and as they didn't have their own engine that would be competitive, they sourced out to Sachs for the engine in the early bikes. Although the bikes were manufactured by KTM, they bore the Penton name for a few years, then began using the KTM name in the early to mid 70's.

I believe that had it not been for John, KTM would have never grown and been successful and more than likely, would have folded like so many other small motorcycle manufacturers in the late 70's and early 80's.
__________________
2013 Husky TE511
2014 KTM 350 XC-F
2006 KTM Adv 950
2001 KTM 640 LC4 Sold
I only like two kinds of women, foreign and domestic
dirtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 12:08 PM   #118
PASSMORE
Just the last name...
 
PASSMORE's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: The Texas Embassy in Sloughhouse, CA
Oddometer: 4,250
VERY NICE! BTW, the stickers you sent me are really nice as well - fit is perfect, can't wait to show ya the final product! Thanks Matey!


M


Quote:
Originally Posted by matey peeps
Hey lookie what I made!


Now that I've got your attention please see my above post about the airbox drain.
__________________
- Michael
facebook.com/passmoreranch
PASSMORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 09:27 PM   #119
rapiti
IOR Veteran
 
rapiti's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: On the island
Oddometer: 1,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper
Paging rapiti... paging rapiti. Your flashback is waiting..........

Dude! I feel all pre-pubescent and shit looking at that photo

That's the one! It looked so...so...Maico'd out with the radial head cooling fins! Many a fond memory. Remember when bikes were expected to bottom out all the time? I put Curnett shocks on mine. Akront mud slingers and all in the pic. Damn.

That's the bike that helped me figure out that MX was not for me 'cuz I didn't like running over other people, or being run over by some freak crusading for a plastic trophy Desert & trail riding was more my speed.

Thanks for the flashback How many of those things are still around?
__________________
...its the best paint scheme that has ever been or ever will be on an Adv...-AussieRob
rapiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 12:02 AM   #120
creeper OP
Still alive...
 
creeper's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Puget Sound
Oddometer: 10,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapiti
Dude! I feel all pre-pubescent and shit looking at that photo

That's the one! It looked so...so...Maico'd out with the radial head cooling fins! Many a fond memory. Remember when bikes were expected to bottom out all the time? I put Curnett shocks on mine. Akront mud slingers and all in the pic. Damn.

That's the bike that helped me figure out that MX was not for me 'cuz I didn't like running over other people, or being run over by some freak crusading for a plastic trophy Desert & trail riding was more my speed.

Thanks for the flashback How many of those things are still around?
This one is at work.

http://creeper.smugmug.com/gallery/257160
__________________
So... how's tricks?
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014