User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2011, 04:31 AM   #1
PWRCRZR OP
Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer: 7,397
Acadia

My wife (Keepnup) and I do a fair amount of 1 and 2 day trips around Maine, NH and VT. Sometimes we go 2 up on the V-Strom and other times she rides her Ninja and I lead the way on the V or the KLR.

My wife and I need to learn to take a few more pics to tell a better story but for now we will go with what we have..

I am going to start with a trip we took last week from our home near Bath Maine to Acadia National Park in Bar Harbor. It was about a 270 mile round trip which is a big day for my wife on her bike..

Here is the Keepnup getting ready to head out...

Because her Ninja is lowered a bit and the roads here in Maine are a bit on the rough side we usually try to stay on the main roads when she is riding. So we headed north on 1 up to Lincolnville Beach for our first quick break. Just a great little spot to stop and smell the salt air and grab a few pics..

Keepnup always goes for an artsy shot of sorts..

Then I think we made a straight shot from Lincolnville to Acadia, traffic was light and we found a nice back way in.. Keepnup was on a mission to show me Thunderhole since I had never seen it..

view from the loop road in Acadia..

More later...got to work for a few hours.......
However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"

PWRCRZR screwed with this post 08-01-2011 at 04:23 AM
PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 03:35 PM   #2
PWRCRZR OP
Grumpy Old Bastard

So we decided to spend a few hours playing tourist and enjoying the beautiful scenery along the loop road in Acadia..

Thunder hole in all its glory..

Keepnup and I ...

then we decided enough tourist stuff it was time to ride again...

The road through Acadia is a very relaxing meandering road that Keepnup really enjoyed..

The wife asked for a lanyard for her camera so she can get a few on the fly shots as well...

So we headed out of the park and back towards home. We decided to bypass busy downtown Bar Harbor in favor of a quieter lunch spot on Trenton Island...

beings we are from Maine we went with the BBQ...Beef brisket

Then a quick stop to grab the NNE tag..

found this cool bahn" on the way south..

Then we made a bee line south on Rt 1 again to Camden where we stopped for an ice cream and a bit of pokingf around..

Camden harbor..

I found this truck to be unusual for this area...a few minutes after the pic some person from away stole the parking spot he was headed for..he gave them a piece of his mind..I figgered a push was in order..

Found this sweet little 350 behind a shop..

Ice cream..

Not many areas in Maine have MC parking...2 little spots down hill on a corner in Camden..

Then it was another bee line south back to Wiscassett to place the tag..

and then home for the evening...
However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
Old 07-30-2011, 04:11 PM   #3
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 16,204

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

ECUADOR: Maintaining Rigid Flexibility
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:00 AM   #4
PWRCRZR OP
Grumpy Old Bastard

Kennebunkport=lunch with friends

So Keepnup and I decided that we would head south along the coast for the day. We invited Evilclown and sidecarsue to meet us for lunch somewhere along the coast later in the day.

Side note..Here is the reason for keepnup's screen name. She always feels like she is

So around 8 or so we loaded up to head down to Topsham for some breakfast..

about 1/2 way there while stopped at an intersection I here a hollar and see a guy waving us over..Turns out to be a fellow rider I have talked to a lot online but had never met...he goes by Black Lab

so we spent a while chatting and looking bikes over..he has a great purpose built DL650

so after a bit more chat Keepnup let me know it was past time for breakfast so we were off to Topsham for some food..

after breakfast we tried to get Keepnup a pic for a tag game she has been trying to get into on another forum..she needed a dome.

Then it was a quick blast south to Yarmouth to stock up on new maps..

I used to just get a Northern New England map but they were all out, haven't printed any in a few years. Seems like the demand for paper maps is low these days..So I grabbed a handful of these since they were on sale for $1

More later...gotta work
Old 08-01-2011, 07:11 AM   #5
BKMLWR
Wondering around...

Oddometer: 4,391
glad you got to see Thunder Hole when it was working, very impressive when the waves are just right....
nice thread...
LifeSong
BKMLWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:16 PM   #6
PWRCRZR OP
Grumpy Old Bastard

So after the Delorme stop it was time to head south some more and make a plan for lunch..we decided to ride straight south for an hour to make some time then meander to the coast. This plan put us just North of Biddeford. So we checked in with Evilclown and made plans to meet in Kennebunkport. so we grabbed a side road over to Rt 9 and headed south to Goose Rock..nice area but hard to find parking..

so after looking around for just a minute we decided to head out again..The next sign to catch my eye was Cape Porpise...again lots of people and hard to find parking but we did manage a spot, the attendant for the pparking lot gave us 15 minutes to look around a bit even though we were not headed for the restaurant...

so after a bunch of pics we decided to head south to met the "clowns" for lunch..

so we ended up grabbing a quick drink when we got to town, then the ladies headed off to shop while EC and I took up some bench space and spent the afternoon checking out the local talent..and deciding that we are getting old..

and no we didn't take pics..of the local talent..

after the girls were shopped out we got a call to meet them for lunch..and Pie

The lovely (blurry) ladies

Keepnup telling me to hurry up and take the pic so she can try the pie..

so after lunch there was a little more shopping..

whatyathink..

Then we said our good byes and headed north..

Keepnup wanted to race these guys off the light but showed remarkable restraint

I was busy racing my shadow..

So there was one more stop to be made on the way home..

It's not a Sunday road trip without an ice cream

another great day out and about with Keepnup, and the second Sunday in a row she has done a day trip She even took her bike out this past Thursday for dinner with the gang...
Old 08-01-2011, 09:35 PM   #7
Sink
Stay Off The Slab

Oddometer: 910
Nice thread and a great idea PWR

After a ride I usually have quite a few picks, hate to post them in Maine Riders.

I'm thinkin' I need to do something like this.

Thanks for the pics.

Looking forward to seeing more.

Ride safe.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:51 AM   #8
PWRCRZR OP
Grumpy Old Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sink View Post
Nice thread and a great idea PWR

After a ride I usually have quite a few picks, hate to post them in Maine Riders.

I'm thinkin' I need to do something like this.

Thanks for the pics.

Looking forward to seeing more.

Ride safe.
Not my idea..others blazed the trail ahead of me..

Seems to work well to help motivate my wife to ride more and take more pics..It is fun to just spend the day hanging with her
Old 06-18-2012, 06:16 PM   #9
PWRCRZR OP
Grumpy Old Bastard

Finally had a chance to load up pics from our weekend ride. Ginger and I had thought about going to Conway for the weekend but EC was nice enough to remind me it was bike week. So instead we opted for the Maine coast

A quick google search netted me Searsport Shore's Ocean front campground. Since we wanted to be home early on Sunday to do chores we decided this would be a perfect spot.

So we loaded up and took the scenic route to Belfast..

Belfast Harbor..

Ginger trying out a chair by the waterfront, we have a but end of a log at camp that may work for this..

See I'm not always grumpy...

Found a nice Haddock sandwich for lunch while in Belfast..

Then it was off to Searport to set up camp and enjoy what would become a sunny warm evening ...

Can't really say I ever noticed the sign before but it's right on Rt 1 between Searsport and Belfast

The waterfront sites are across a foot bridge so everything goes in on a garden cart..

Not a bad spot..

A little R and R on the shore for the afternoon..

She loves her Kermit chair..

Then it was back to camp where Ginger tended to a fire while I cooked suppah"

Then a little relaxing for the evening...

and when in Rome..

Then I probably had one of my best nights sleep in a tent so far this season and woke to another beautiful blue sky by the shore..

nice campground, with a lot of great views and amenities...and for what it is worth it is Searsport Harbor not ocean front..but pretty darn close.

Then it was pack up and head home time...

To an afternoon of chores and a great evening suppah' on the back deck

Old 06-18-2012, 06:44 PM   #10
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 16,204
Looks like you two had an awesome weekend!

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

ECUADOR: Maintaining Rigid Flexibility
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:48 PM   #11
NHBill
Loosely Wrapped

Oddometer: 1,382
Doesn't look too shabby at all....
"There's a very fine line dividing bravery from stupidity..."
2009 F650GS
NHBill is online now   Reply With Quote