ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2004, 12:04 PM   #1
steve gs OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Smokies in Winter?

Usually too much snow(but mostly the freaking salt) in Michigan to do much riding from Jan to Mar. Just got back from Suches and Deals Gap and thought if the snow doesn't pile up too high I'd transport my dualsport (smaller one and could be using studded tires) to Robbinsville, NC and run around for a week somewhere between Jan and Mar. Do I need professional psycho help?

I realize winter in the mtns is highly variable and though I have many years of winter camping experience should I just forget about playing craps with the Smokies in the winter. Would not even mind being socked in for a couple of days or more (would be prepared for such). Plus, is salt used on the area roads in the event of ice or snow (that would nix it right there). Thanks.
steve gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 02:42 PM   #2
xtphreak
from B4 "adventure bikes"

Oddometer: 7,960
if it gets Icy

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve gs
Usually too much snow(but mostly the freaking salt) in Michigan to do much riding from Jan to Mar. Just got back from Suches and Deals Gap and thought if the snow doesn't pile up too high I'd transport my dualsport (smaller one and could be using studded tires) to Robbinsville, NC and run around for a week somewhere between Jan and Mar. Do I need professional psycho help?
can't run studded tires on pavement in NC without a chance of an LEO writing you a ticket. they's illegal here.

1) You do ride motorcycles when there's prefectly usable cars available right?
2) You even profess to ride said motorcycles OFF ROAD, right?
3) Now you're talking about doing 1 & 2 in the WINTER?

Answer: yes you do need help, join the club :uhhuh The line forms behind me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve gs
I realize winter in the mtns is highly variable and though I have many years of winter camping experience should I just forget about playing craps with the Smokies in the winter. Would not even mind being socked in for a couple of days or more (would be prepared for such). Plus, is salt used on the area roads in the event of ice or snow (that would nix it right there). Thanks.
they use some salt mixed with sand if the roads get icy (Hi Icy!!)
they are not prepared with lots of snowplows like up north, takes them a while to get mobilized sometimes.

I ride the Asheville, Lake Lure, BRP area all winter.
Robert A. Heinlen
Adventure is discomfort recounted at leisure. Flash / GSWayne
Chrome don't get ya home. Rob Nye
Stamp Out Hoplophobia in Our lifetimes.
1999 Tiger 885
1995 XT600E
xtphreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 05:22 PM   #3
Jack90210
mindful

Oddometer: 15,036
Hell yes. Ain't no cars on the BRP in February, and there certainly ain't no RVs.

I must say that my son has exposed a reservoir of love and of worry within me that I never knew existed. --nskitts, 9/2/12
Jack90210 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 05:31 PM   #4
steve gs OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Thanks for the feedback. Figured the graveled roads woud be the last to see any form of "conditioning" after snow or ice and those would be my first priority.

From the www.tailofthedragon.com site they mention several dual sport routes and I thought I would begin with them.
steve gs is offline   Reply With Quote