ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2014, 05:37 PM   #1
ghoulish OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Shinko E805 Big Block adventure tire

Looks like there are not too many reviews on this tire, so I'll post up my thoughts as I kill the miles. I am running the combo of the E805 on rear (150/70-17) and IRC TR8 Battle rally up front (3.00x21) on my Tiger 800XC. Installed them last week and with 600 miles on them so far (mainly highway) I am pleased. Fairly quiet at highway speeds, a bit growly around 45 mph. Very confident feel in corners both low and high speeds! I plan to get into the greasy stuff this weekend and will report back at how they manage and perform off road!
Name:  tiger2.jpg
Views: 3147
Size:  181.3 KB
ghoulish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 05:43 PM   #2
Crab bait
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Thanks for being the guinea pig. I've been lookin for an alternative to k60's as they are not a super rain tire for the Oregon coast. What did they run you?
Crab bait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 05:48 PM   #3
ghoulish OP
Adventurer

The 805 was $100 and the TR8 $48! I ran the first 240 miles in heavy rain
with the pressure too low at 27 psi. They felt stable but a little pushy
in corners due to low pressure. Running 32 rear and 30 front now and they
Are great so far!

ghoulish screwed with this post 11-08-2014 at 05:55 PM
Old 11-08-2014, 08:24 PM   #4
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,375
Are the sidewalls super stiff like the K60 or did you pay somebody to mount it?
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 08:03 AM   #5
ghoulish OP
Adventurer

I am lead technician for a Triumph/ Euro-bike dealer, I mounted them myself! The side walls are comparable to the Anakee 2 or the E705; fairly soft. Could be installed by tire levers with minimal... 'motivational language.'
I can say about this tire off road; during a short traffic escape (about 100 yds.) through a construction zone with mushy-wet orange sand, where I would typically get wheels spin and slide under heavy-handed throttle, they hooked up and let the front end get light and plow through all the truck tire ruts! Promising so far!
Old 11-10-2014, 09:04 AM   #6
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoulish View Post
I am lead technician for a Triumph/ Euro-bike dealer, I mounted them myself! The side walls are comparable to the Anakee 2 or the E705; fairly soft. Could be installed by tire levers with minimal... 'motivational language.'
Thank you for that valuable info. Looking forward to reading about your experience with this tire in off road situations on the Tiger. I run the TR8 front also and look forward to hearing about the the performance of the new E805.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 04:00 PM   #7
ghoulish OP
Adventurer

Just returned from about 50 miles of HEAVY off road and gravel road riding. Trail ridden was composed of rutted wet sand, large rocks, deep black mud and cow pies! The trails were tight steep and in some places, hardly visible. Tree branches were slapping my helmet and clawing at the Tiger! The E805 was fantastic! It tractored through the mud and flung all the packed in debris within 10 yards of exiting the mud holes! It handled long hill climbs of golfball- grapefruit sized rocks like a champ; the sandy bits were a breeze! Very nice controlled drifting when my throttle hand got over excited too! Love it so far!
Old 11-11-2014, 07:13 AM   #8
IdahoRenegade
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoulish View Post
Just returned from about 50 miles of HEAVY off road and gravel road riding. Trail ridden was composed of rutted wet sand, large rocks, deep black mud and cow pies! The trails were tight steep and in some places, hardly visible. Tree branches were slapping my helmet and clawing at the Tiger! The E805 was fantastic! It tractored through the mud and flung all the packed in debris within 10 yards of exiting the mud holes! It handled long hill climbs of golfball- grapefruit sized rocks like a champ; the sandy bits were a breeze! Very nice controlled drifting when my throttle hand got over excited too! Love it so far!
That's great news! Good to hear that there are some affordable 50/50 tires available. Looking forward to seeing how they hold up as you rack up the miles. Do you have any experience with K60s to compare them to? My Tiger came with K60s (bought used of course) and on wet, packed, county dirt roads I find that it spins easily-I think due to the center strip. Not that it's unbearable and leaned into a turn at all or in anything soft it seems to bite OK. Was thinking either E-07s or the 805s next time.
Old 12-06-2014, 06:57 AM   #9
Ramseybella
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Sounds fantastic, I know a few folks that feel Shinko tires are inferior is BS!!

I own a 1200 Tenere 600 pounder beast and am wondering how this will hold up for miles and another 400 pounds of me and gear on top of it?
Ramseybella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 10:34 PM   #10
robdogg
turnip truck driver

Oddometer: 1,788
The load index on those tires are 59 front and 69 rear which it sounds like your bike and load would exceed.. many of the shinko tires are on the low side for load and speed rating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramseybella View Post
Sounds fantastic, I know a few folks that feel Shinko tires are inferior is BS!!

I own a 1200 Tenere 600 pounder beast and am wondering how this will hold up for miles and another 400 pounds of me and gear on top of it?
Old 12-12-2014, 09:04 AM   #11
Norty01
RIDERCOACH

Oddometer: 252
Any new reports on tire wear as the miles accumulate?

Saw an IRC "Trail Winner" 3.00X21 at a shop ysterday. $85 and the knobbs were super soft...
Norty01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 02:39 PM   #12
Dubl-A
SuckerDucker

Oddometer: 1,808
Thanks for posting!! $100 for the rear, that's one hell of a deal!!! Any pics since...

If we continue tire reports we should include an odometer pic as well as wear shots as this is the internet
Old 12-12-2014, 04:00 PM   #13
TIGERRIDER007
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,022
So, has anyone run the front E804, and a rear E805?

The price is right, let's see about mileage....I'll keep researching...
TIGERRIDER007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 09:39 PM   #14
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Oddometer: 5,760
Shinko E805 Big Block adventure tire

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdogg View Post
The load index on those tires are 59 front and 69 rear which it sounds like your bike and load would exceed.. many of the shinko tires are on the low side for load and speed rating
Those load ratings are pretty standard for the Tenere/GS 19/17" tire sizes. 536 pounds front and 716 pounds rear. Same as most of the Conti's, Michelin's, Pirelli's, etc...

I have an 805 waiting to go on the rear of my Tenere. Just have to wear out the Karoo 3 first. I hope to instal it around New Year's Day.

Anticyclone screwed with this post 12-13-2014 at 06:05 AM
Anticyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 11:00 PM   #15
Boismj03
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGERRIDER007 View Post
So, has anyone run the front E804, and a rear E805?

The price is right, let's see about mileage....I'll keep researching...
I did the entire UTBDR on these tires including Lockhart basin...about 1900 miles over 9 days in Oct on a 12 V Strom..... Great tires. Sand they are fantastic. Road they are fantastic. Gravel they are fantastic. Not much mud on the trip but what was encountered they are fantastic. Rain they are fantastic... Felt confident the entire trip. Great tires
The front still looks new and the back is half gone. Heavy abusive riding.