ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2015, 08:18 PM   #1
MTNRiderAB OP
Information Sponge

Oddometer: 47
V-Strom Education please

My wife is looking for a dual sport bike and likes the V-strom.

There is a used one for sale locally on Kajiji right now, could use some advice on it.

It's a 2005, 1000cc.

Was ABS available back then? If not, is it possible to retrfit ABS onto this bike? Any idea on cost to retrofit ABS?

Also any other things to watch out for?

The bike has about 67000 km's on it, and the guy is asking $4000 (CDN), I'm thinking I should be able to get it for about 3500. Sound about right?

appreciate it.
MTNRiderAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 09:35 PM   #2
mach1mustang351
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 437
I think 2007 was the first year for ABS on any VStrom and that was on the 650 model. As far as retrofitting it will be far more trouble than buying a newer bike with abs equipped. It will require the pumps valves, sensors, and modules to work properly. Probably not worth the hassle, in my opinion.
mach1mustang351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 11:47 PM   #3
M700
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 424
Also - has she ridden both the 1000 and the 650?

They're a bit different. Some strongly prefer one over the other.

Regards, Guy
M700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:36 AM   #4
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,889
If you want ABS, get a DL650 2007 or newer. Retrofitting it, while may be possible, and has been done too, is a lot of work. And costs.
Countries ridden • FIN • SWE • NOR • DK • EE • LV • LT • POL • SK • HU • RO • BG • GR • IT • AT • DE • CZ • CH • SMR • LIE • NL • BE • FR • AND • ES • GBR • LUX • SI • HR • BIH • SRB • MK • TR • IR • PAK • IND • TH • KH • LA • MY • ID • AUS • CR • USA • ZA • LS • SWZ • MZ • NA • BW • ZM • ZW
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:02 AM   #5
cycleman2
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 533
It wouldn't be worth your trouble or money to try and install ABS on the DL1000, if it could be done. I don't know your wife's inseam but the 1000 weight about 40-50 lbs more than the 650, which for many years did have ABS. So many to choose from.

The 650's outsell the 1000 by about 3 to 1. Some years of DL1000 had surging/hesitation issues. So do your homework.

Power wise for solo use the 650 is more than adequate. I currently have a 2013 DL650A and my wife and I went to Tofino and back last summer with no issues.

Check around and don't buy the first one you are looking at. Possibly also post a wanted ad on Kijiji in Calgary and see what happens. With the current economic conditions in Alberta there are going to be lots of toys coming up for sale.

As to price it all depends about condition, equipment and maintenance history. Good luck.
Old Yesterday, 08:04 AM   #6
MTNRiderAB OP
Information Sponge

Thanks for the replies

She has not ridden either yet, she is a fairly new rider. We are going to head down to the local shop and sit on both. I just saw this one for sale and thought it might be a good fit.
She has tried riding my R1200GS but finds it a bit too tall (also a new rider thing I think, as she isn't short). Perhaps the 650 might be a better fit, I just worry that once she has some experience on it she will be missing the extra power.
Old Yesterday, 08:06 AM   #7
MTNRiderAB OP
Information Sponge

Thanks Cycleman, good advice.
Old Yesterday, 09:21 AM   #8
BikeMan
smoke, drink, screw, ride

Oddometer: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTNRiderAB View Post
... ... things to watch out for?
no abs. sounds like a ok deal. i have 117k miles showing on the clock of my 05 DL1 and have had no problems so far.
Old Yesterday, 10:42 AM   #9
Motomantra
Registered Lurker

Oddometer: 1,273
You used the word "Dual sport". Unless the rider has skills/experience I wouldn't go any farther than dirt roads.
I researched for a couple years before deciding on a DL. This will be my second year with it & I'm still happy with it. NO PERFECT BIKE. DAMIT.
Old Yesterday, 02:39 PM   #10
CRNHSKR1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
1000 vs 650

I can't speak directly about the 1000 Vstrom, but i did have a Super Tenere which is a similar bike, perhaps a bit taller and heavier. I was not comfortable on the Tenere off-road at all ( I consider myself at the advanced beginner to low intermediate in the off-road skill area ). The bike was just too big for me, and I am 5' 10" 200lb male.

I traded down to the 650 Vstrom, and I couldn't be happier, it is absolutely the perfect balance of weight/power/comfort. It isn't perhaps ideal off-road, but has no problem with fire trails, gravel roads, etc, what most of us actually end up riding...

I have never felt like it was short on power, perhaps because of the weight difference. I do not ride 2 up so YMMV...the only place the 1200 made a difference for me was top-end roll on speed, and maybe a bit off the launch if you are really wrapping it up. But I don't spend much time in the "above legal speed range". It is easier for me to mount/dismount with my stubby legs. I just feel a lot more in control of the bike.

I agree with the others, don't rush into it, if ABS is a desired feature, best to purchase a bike that already has it.