ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-24-2012, 08:09 PM   #2206
Reverend12
Well there it is..
 
Reverend12's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Maylene, Alabami
Oddometer: 1,432
The Super Tenere is much better off road than most people give it credit. It is easy to ride this bike off road, it handles wonderfully!
Reverend12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:34 PM   #2207
Geology Rocks
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Geology Rocks's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Out looking for Bigfoot
Oddometer: 485
Hey anti i am surprised you made it that far! I heard the drain plugs rip out and the S10 isnt as good as the bmw or tiger explorer. Well...thats what MCN told me!

Joe
Geology Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:47 PM   #2208
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less
 
Anticyclone's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: In Transit
Oddometer: 5,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
I was really impressed at how it felt on those surfaces as well. After the Strom it was amazing how easy it was. It was so easy ion fact that I was getting a bit stupid after a while.
My previous big ADV bike was a 650 Strom. There is no comparison between the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostedxt View Post
Hey anti i am surprised you made it that far! I heard the drain plugs rip out and the S10 isnt as good as the bmw or tiger explorer. Well...thats what MCN told me!

Joe
We don't have rocks in MS. A skid plate will be the next purchase. It would have been the first, but I use the bike to commute and needed hard bags first. The Jesse's should be in the mail.

There aren't many places around here you need a skid plate, and nowhere that I can't avoid until I get one. It's not like I'm some magazine test rider with an agenda and KTM lust.
__________________
Later,
Michael
"If I can't pass at a reasonable speed I do it unreasonably." - jdmetzger
Anticyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:21 PM   #2209
protondecay123
Gnarly Adventurer
 
protondecay123's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Northwest Arkansas
Oddometer: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by anticyclone View Post
it's not like i'm some magazine test rider with an agenda and ktm lust.
+1
__________________
Sometimes the Lights are all Shinin' on Me
Other times I can barely see
Lately It Occurs to Me
What a Long, Strange Trip it's Been!
protondecay123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:45 PM   #2210
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Columbus, OH
Oddometer: 2,030
I really have to tone it down till I get a skid plate and D/S tires. I (mistakenly) got onto a couple roads today that were very challenging on my WR250R, let alone on this beast.

And it was inevitable, I finally dropped the thing:


It was a very steep and rocky down hill (I'm standing on the down hill side) and I actually aborted the plan and was turning around when I lost my footing. I caught the bike mid fall, but couldn't right it (as I was on the downhill side) so I gently laid it down to readjust my position. It was a pretty incredible feat of strength (think mother lifting car off of child) for my 130 pound self to lift it up when it fell towards the downhill, but I got her up, and inspected to find not a scratch. Very cool!
(Usual checks; fan spins free, shifter untouched, clutch untouched, etc)

Found a new powerline area:


And a thorough inspection upon arriving home revealed not a scratch on the plastic 'skid plate', or the sump, or anything vital, but some major dings in both the header pipes!



Like I said, I will be toning it down till I get a plate (and tires). It's so fun... but no... I shall resist.... I shall resist.... I shall resist.....
__________________
2008 990 Adventure
2008 WR250R
www.Mikef5000.com
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:25 PM   #2211
CafeRacer99
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Las Vegas
Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
I really have to tone it down till I get a skid plate and D/S tires. I (mistakenly) got onto a couple roads today that were very challenging on my WR250R, let alone on this beast.

And it was inevitable, I finally dropped the thing:


It was a very steep and rocky down hill (I'm standing on the down hill side) and I actually aborted the plan and was turning around when I lost my footing. I caught the bike mid fall, but couldn't right it (as I was on the downhill side) so I gently laid it down to readjust my position. It was a pretty incredible feat of strength (think mother lifting car off of child) for my 130 pound self to lift it up when it fell towards the downhill, but I got her up, and inspected to find not a scratch. Very cool!
(Usual checks; fan spins free, shifter untouched, clutch untouched, etc)

Found a new powerline area:


And a thorough inspection upon arriving home revealed not a scratch on the plastic 'skid plate', or the sump, or anything vital, but some major dings in both the header pipes!



Like I said, I will be toning it down till I get a plate (and tires). It's so fun... but no... I shall resist.... I shall resist.... I shall resist.....

Lol. Good for you picking it up. I've laid mine down to see how hard it would be to pick up, I don't think it's so bad.

And this is exactly why I went ahead and got crash bars and a skid plate. I'm not planning on any serious off-roading, but the couple times I've tried out dirt roads lead me to believe I won't be able to resist for long.
__________________
Ride to Coffee
Coffee to Ride
CafeRacer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:53 AM   #2212
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: On the road to South America
Oddometer: 1,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by CafeRacer99 View Post
Lol. Good for you picking it up. I've laid mine down to see how hard it would be to pick up, I don't think it's so bad.

I did a dry run with mine fully load in prep for my RTW trip. Load comes to 170lbs at the moment, including the weight of the bags. So not too bad I think...

Anyway, after a couple of beers (hold my beer and watch this!), and with some mates to help should I fail, I decided it would be a good time to see if I could pick it up. Laid it down on the grass then tried to lift it the "correct" way, by backing into the seat and lifting with my legs. No go... with the bike on the left side, me facing away from it with my bum on the seat, I had nowhere to get a grip with my left hand. This is with Jesses on - I could easily grip the racks with the bags off, but no way to get a bag off with the bike on its side.

Eventually I just did a brute force thing - facing the bike, squat really low, grip the crash bar with the left hand, right just bracing on the seat cos there's still nowhere to get a good grip, and shoulder into the curve of the tank. This is where I got most of the lift. Then push like buggery using my legs. Came up pretty easy, no back strain either. However I'm 200lbs - I wouldn't want to try it at Mikef5000's 130lbs. Amazing job Mike!

Next time I'm going to try attaching a strap to the pillion hanger, and use that to grab onto for the butt-in-seat technique.

Trevor
__________________
Super Tenere news and reviews
http://supertenere1200.com
dcstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:48 AM   #2213
CafeRacer99
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Las Vegas
Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrom View Post
I did a dry run with mine fully load in prep for my RTW trip. Load comes to 170lbs at the moment, including the weight of the bags. So not too bad I think...

Anyway, after a couple of beers (hold my beer and watch this!), and with some mates to help should I fail, I decided it would be a good time to see if I could pick it up. Laid it down on the grass then tried to lift it the "correct" way, by backing into the seat and lifting with my legs. No go... with the bike on the left side, me facing away from it with my bum on the seat, I had nowhere to get a grip with my left hand. This is with Jesses on - I could easily grip the racks with the bags off, but no way to get a bag off with the bike on its side.

Eventually I just did a brute force thing - facing the bike, squat really low, grip the crash bar with the left hand, right just bracing on the seat cos there's still nowhere to get a good grip, and shoulder into the curve of the tank. This is where I got most of the lift. Then push like buggery using my legs. Came up pretty easy, no back strain either. However I'm 200lbs - I wouldn't want to try it at Mikef5000's 130lbs. Amazing job Mike!

Next time I'm going to try attaching a strap to the pillion hanger, and use that to grab onto for the butt-in-seat technique.

Trevor
The strap is a good idea. Do you have the passenger grab rails off?
__________________
Ride to Coffee
Coffee to Ride
CafeRacer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:23 PM   #2214
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: On the road to South America
Oddometer: 1,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by CafeRacer99 View Post
The strap is a good idea. Do you have the passenger grab rails off?
Yes, no grab rails - Jesses are pulled in tight so they have to go...
__________________
Super Tenere news and reviews
http://supertenere1200.com
dcstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:40 PM   #2215
eakins
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 17,989
any 1200 owners who would also like to see the 660 in the US & Canada?
please help out w/ flash posting on Yamaha's facebook page!
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...641304&page=18
http://www.facebook.com/yamahamotorusa
__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
AZ map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:34 AM   #2216
bloodline
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Oddometer: 280
Engineer pass, CO. 2 up.




bloodline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:44 AM   #2217
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less
 
Anticyclone's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: In Transit
Oddometer: 5,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodline View Post
Engineer pass, CO. 2 up.
Nice!
__________________
Later,
Michael
"If I can't pass at a reasonable speed I do it unreasonably." - jdmetzger
Anticyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:51 PM   #2218
RoyQ
Beastly Adventurer
 
RoyQ's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Mississippi
Oddometer: 2,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodline View Post
Engineer pass, CO. 2 up.




In 4 1/2 weeks I hope to be taking the same pics, two up as well. Nice job!
__________________
2012 YAMAHA Super Ténéré
'11 GSXR750
'11 GSXR1000 racebike
WERA Expert #826
RoyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:18 PM   #2219
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer
 
pluric's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake
Oddometer: 16,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodline View Post
Engineer pass, CO. 2 up.




I would be more impressed if it was two feet up and two feet down, just sayn'.
pluric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:02 PM   #2220
XRWilly
Gnarly Adventurer
 
XRWilly's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Tampa Area
Oddometer: 143
Near Surprise Lake in north British Columbia...yesterday.



I think the Surprise was all the dang snow on July 1.

__________________
Bill
2012 Versys, 2006 FZ6 Fazer
Check out my Blog!
XRWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014