Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2012, 08:09 PM   #2206
Reverend12
Well there it is..

Oddometer: 1,432
The Super Tenere is much better off road than most people give it credit. It is easy to ride this bike off road, it handles wonderfully!
Reverend12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:34 PM   #2207
Geology Rocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 485
Hey anti i am surprised you made it that far! I heard the drain plugs rip out and the S10 isnt as good as the bmw or tiger explorer. Well...thats what MCN told me!

Joe
Geology Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:47 PM   #2208
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Oddometer: 5,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
I was really impressed at how it felt on those surfaces as well. After the Strom it was amazing how easy it was. It was so easy ion fact that I was getting a bit stupid after a while.
My previous big ADV bike was a 650 Strom. There is no comparison between the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostedxt View Post
Hey anti i am surprised you made it that far! I heard the drain plugs rip out and the S10 isnt as good as the bmw or tiger explorer. Well...thats what MCN told me!

Joe
We don't have rocks in MS. A skid plate will be the next purchase. It would have been the first, but I use the bike to commute and needed hard bags first. The Jesse's should be in the mail.

There aren't many places around here you need a skid plate, and nowhere that I can't avoid until I get one. It's not like I'm some magazine test rider with an agenda and KTM lust.
Anticyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:21 PM   #2209
protondecay123
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by anticyclone View Post
it's not like i'm some magazine test rider with an agenda and ktm lust.
+1
What a Long, Strange Trip it's Been!
protondecay123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:45 PM   #2210
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
I really have to tone it down till I get a skid plate and D/S tires. I (mistakenly) got onto a couple roads today that were very challenging on my WR250R, let alone on this beast.

And it was inevitable, I finally dropped the thing:

It was a very steep and rocky down hill (I'm standing on the down hill side) and I actually aborted the plan and was turning around when I lost my footing. I caught the bike mid fall, but couldn't right it (as I was on the downhill side) so I gently laid it down to readjust my position. It was a pretty incredible feat of strength (think mother lifting car off of child) for my 130 pound self to lift it up when it fell towards the downhill, but I got her up, and inspected to find not a scratch. Very cool!
(Usual checks; fan spins free, shifter untouched, clutch untouched, etc)

Found a new powerline area:

And a thorough inspection upon arriving home revealed not a scratch on the plastic 'skid plate', or the sump, or anything vital, but some major dings in both the header pipes!

Like I said, I will be toning it down till I get a plate (and tires). It's so fun... but no... I shall resist.... I shall resist.... I shall resist.....
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:25 PM   #2211
CafeRacer99
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
I really have to tone it down till I get a skid plate and D/S tires. I (mistakenly) got onto a couple roads today that were very challenging on my WR250R, let alone on this beast.

And it was inevitable, I finally dropped the thing:

It was a very steep and rocky down hill (I'm standing on the down hill side) and I actually aborted the plan and was turning around when I lost my footing. I caught the bike mid fall, but couldn't right it (as I was on the downhill side) so I gently laid it down to readjust my position. It was a pretty incredible feat of strength (think mother lifting car off of child) for my 130 pound self to lift it up when it fell towards the downhill, but I got her up, and inspected to find not a scratch. Very cool!
(Usual checks; fan spins free, shifter untouched, clutch untouched, etc)

Found a new powerline area:

And a thorough inspection upon arriving home revealed not a scratch on the plastic 'skid plate', or the sump, or anything vital, but some major dings in both the header pipes!

Like I said, I will be toning it down till I get a plate (and tires). It's so fun... but no... I shall resist.... I shall resist.... I shall resist.....

Lol. Good for you picking it up. I've laid mine down to see how hard it would be to pick up, I don't think it's so bad.

And this is exactly why I went ahead and got crash bars and a skid plate. I'm not planning on any serious off-roading, but the couple times I've tried out dirt roads lead me to believe I won't be able to resist for long.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:53 AM   #2212
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by CafeRacer99 View Post
Lol. Good for you picking it up. I've laid mine down to see how hard it would be to pick up, I don't think it's so bad.

I did a dry run with mine fully load in prep for my RTW trip. Load comes to 170lbs at the moment, including the weight of the bags. So not too bad I think...

Anyway, after a couple of beers (hold my beer and watch this!), and with some mates to help should I fail, I decided it would be a good time to see if I could pick it up. Laid it down on the grass then tried to lift it the "correct" way, by backing into the seat and lifting with my legs. No go... with the bike on the left side, me facing away from it with my bum on the seat, I had nowhere to get a grip with my left hand. This is with Jesses on - I could easily grip the racks with the bags off, but no way to get a bag off with the bike on its side.

Eventually I just did a brute force thing - facing the bike, squat really low, grip the crash bar with the left hand, right just bracing on the seat cos there's still nowhere to get a good grip, and shoulder into the curve of the tank. This is where I got most of the lift. Then push like buggery using my legs. Came up pretty easy, no back strain either. However I'm 200lbs - I wouldn't want to try it at Mikef5000's 130lbs. Amazing job Mike!

Next time I'm going to try attaching a strap to the pillion hanger, and use that to grab onto for the butt-in-seat technique.

Trevor
Old 06-26-2012, 11:48 AM   #2213
CafeRacer99
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrom View Post
I did a dry run with mine fully load in prep for my RTW trip. Load comes to 170lbs at the moment, including the weight of the bags. So not too bad I think...

Anyway, after a couple of beers (hold my beer and watch this!), and with some mates to help should I fail, I decided it would be a good time to see if I could pick it up. Laid it down on the grass then tried to lift it the "correct" way, by backing into the seat and lifting with my legs. No go... with the bike on the left side, me facing away from it with my bum on the seat, I had nowhere to get a grip with my left hand. This is with Jesses on - I could easily grip the racks with the bags off, but no way to get a bag off with the bike on its side.

Eventually I just did a brute force thing - facing the bike, squat really low, grip the crash bar with the left hand, right just bracing on the seat cos there's still nowhere to get a good grip, and shoulder into the curve of the tank. This is where I got most of the lift. Then push like buggery using my legs. Came up pretty easy, no back strain either. However I'm 200lbs - I wouldn't want to try it at Mikef5000's 130lbs. Amazing job Mike!

Next time I'm going to try attaching a strap to the pillion hanger, and use that to grab onto for the butt-in-seat technique.

Trevor
The strap is a good idea. Do you have the passenger grab rails off?
Old 06-26-2012, 12:23 PM   #2214
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by CafeRacer99 View Post
The strap is a good idea. Do you have the passenger grab rails off?
Yes, no grab rails - Jesses are pulled in tight so they have to go...
Old 06-26-2012, 12:40 PM   #2215
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,989
any 1200 owners who would also like to see the 660 in the US & Canada?
please help out w/ flash posting on Yamaha's facebook page!
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...641304&page=18
http://www.facebook.com/yamahamotorusa
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:34 AM   #2216
bloodline
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Engineer pass, CO. 2 up.

bloodline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:44 AM   #2217
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Oddometer: 5,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodline View Post
Engineer pass, CO. 2 up.
Nice!
Anticyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:51 PM   #2218
RoyQ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,138
Quote:
Engineer pass, CO. 2 up.

In 4 1/2 weeks I hope to be taking the same pics, two up as well. Nice job!
WERA Expert #826
RoyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:18 PM   #2219
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,403
Quote:
Engineer pass, CO. 2 up.

I would be more impressed if it was two feet up and two feet down, just sayn'.
pluric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:02 PM   #2220
XRWilly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Near Surprise Lake in north British Columbia...yesterday.

I think the Surprise was all the dang snow on July 1.

XRWilly is offline   Reply With Quote