ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2014, 04:10 PM   #7396
avc8130
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
I got my Ohlins forks through Tabasco. (Jaxon)

And yes, I did have to call him to discuss it. :)

I think he got Ohlins to build 10 sets. I'm not sure if they built more. Or if they will spit more out on request. But since Jaxon got them to build mine, I suppose he would be able to answer that question. He's not hard to get a hold of.

Since it's a picture thread, here is the package as I received it. (the OEM Yamaha fork internals were returned fully assembled in those blues plastic bags)

Very blingy!

So since you spent the money, what did you get? What is that? Ohlins offers many different options for many different bikes, but doesn't list anything for the Tenere on the front end.

What did your cash get you? I SEE stock forks with Ohlins stickers...and stock cartridges in a bag.

ac
avc8130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 04:13 PM   #7397
Juan Valderrama
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNewAdventure View Post
Juan V. when I get to Colombia, we can meet-up and take a ride in.
Where in Colombia are you?
I wish you a great week. Take good care, and ride safe always.
Mike I am in Bogotá. Just send me emails and we will see what nice ride we do. Jmvalderrama@yahoo.com.

Juan Valderrama
XT1200Z
Broadcasting from Bogotá - Colombia.
Juan Valderrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 04:20 PM   #7398
snakebitten
Small Town Hick

Oddometer: 962
Since it's not listed in Ohlins catalog, and I haven't torn my forks apart to see what it looks like, and since the OEM guts were intact outside the tubes, ......

How can I say anything except Ohlins built Ohlins fork internals for my forks?

You know more about fork internals than I do. :)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 04:23 PM   #7399
avc8130
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Since it's not listed in Ohlins catalog, and I haven't torn my forks apart to see what it looks like, and since the OEM guts were intact outside the tubes, ......

How can I say anything except Ohlins built Ohlins fork internals for my forks?

You know more about fork internals than I do. :)

I know...that is why I'm so curious. I know the order of magnitude of what Jaxon charged for these special puppies...and I know what can be bought from Ohlins for that price range for other bikes...I just hope that is what you guys got from Ohlins for THIS bike.

If that is the case, this is a real "WIN".

If you got a set of 25mm carts...well...wow that is an expensive set of 25mm carts.

Even crazier, is the fact that Ohlins offers a wonderful 20mm valve kit that any competent Ohlins service center could have installed in yoru STOCK cartridges for essentially a song and a dance compared to what these mysteries cost.

ac

avc8130 screwed with this post 03-25-2014 at 04:30 PM
Old 03-25-2014, 05:01 PM   #7400
snakebitten
Small Town Hick

I bought my Tenere never having seen one or ridden one. (PDP bike) Turned out to have been an excellent gamble. Worth every cent. And I paid considerably more than what folks are paying now.

Similar situation with these Ohlins forks. They didn't exist. Couldn't exactly test them first. And yea, they have normal production kits for less $'s. But they don't have a package for the Tenere. So 10 of us forked over a little extra to get em built.

Don't know how others feel about theirs, but I'm not regretting the decision one bit. I've got about 23,000 miles on the setup and have hammered the bike pretty good. I love this fantastic bike. And the suspension is a big part of why.

Oh, I found the part number for the kit. s10w00h00 :)
Old 03-25-2014, 06:09 PM   #7401
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by avc8130 View Post
Even crazier, is the fact that Ohlins offers a wonderful 20mm valve kit that any competent Ohlins service center could have installed in yoru STOCK cartridges for essentially a song and a dance compared to what these mysteries cost.

ac
What kit is that?

Will be doing up my suspension next and weighing all the options. At least all the transparent ones....
2006 Djebel 250XC

twinrider screwed with this post 03-25-2014 at 06:18 PM
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:20 PM   #7402
snakebitten
Small Town Hick

I'm not sure what AC is referring to twinrider. I do know that when Ohlins first agreed to build the forks for us, they did underestimate the effort it was going to take them to do so. Maybe they were going to use some existing kit?

Jaxon sent his forks to Ohlins to be the guinea pig forks. From what I was told, Ohlins USA quickly realized they did NOT have off the shelf pieces that could be modified to work, so they ended up getting Mothership Ohlins to fab up some of the pieces. The effort & time to accomplish it was more than any party first thought. However, Jaxon was the only one who went without his forks for several months. The rest of us, his customers, benefitted from his and Ohlins efforts.

The only snafu I experienced is that the tech that was building my set (nice fella) got rented out to one of the GP teams at COTA, about this time last year, and I got mine the week after the races instead of the week before.

I was honored. Lol

It made a great story to add to all the amazing tales this bike has afforded.

Didn't get Jaxons fancy anodizing on the caps. Nor the DLC coating on the tubes. Didn't wanna wait. :)

snakebitten screwed with this post 03-25-2014 at 07:30 PM
Old 03-25-2014, 08:42 PM   #7403
avc8130
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
What kit is that?

Will be doing up my suspension next and weighing all the options. At least all the transparent ones....
Ohlins has a 20mm piston only kit. Fits "any" 20mm cartridge basically. In itself it is very "cheap".

HOWEVER

It is truly DIY. Good luck. As far as I know, they haven't been installed in a Tenere yet.

What does that mean? That means you'll need to develop a shim stack that works all on your own...or your tuner will need to. It MIGHT work out the first time, it might need tweaking.

My only point was that Ohlins had parts that fit the Tenere. Parts that are available right in their catalog. Parts that are MUCH cheaper than what they wound up developing and most likely pretty close for an average rider's ability.

Realistically speaking, there is very little reason to keep reinventing the wheel with Tenere suspension. There are a few very well known and highly respected shops that already have the Tenere nailed down and dialed in, for very reasonable prices.

It truly amazes me that people still wonder where they should go for suspension. Suspension work is a field where experience is king. Find out who has the most experience with the bike you want tuned. Call/email them and feel it out. If what they say jives with what you want, spend the money. Saving a few hundred gets lost fast if the results aren't good and you have to pay someone to get back in there and sort it out.

ac
Old 03-25-2014, 09:08 PM   #7404
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,939
Laugh Amen, Bruddah! Amen!

Quote:
Ohlins has a 20mm piston only kit. Fits "any" 20mm cartridge basically. In itself it is very "cheap".

HOWEVER

It is truly DIY. Good luck. As far as I know, they haven't been installed in a Tenere yet.

What does that mean? That means you'll need to develop a shim stack that works all on your own...or your tuner will need to. It MIGHT work out the first time, it might need tweaking.

My only point was that Ohlins had parts that fit the Tenere. Parts that are available right in their catalog. Parts that are MUCH cheaper than what they wound up developing and most likely pretty close for an average rider's ability.

Realistically speaking, there is very little reason to keep reinventing the wheel with Tenere suspension. There are a few very well known and highly respected shops that already have the Tenere nailed down and dialed in, for very reasonable prices.

It truly amazes me that people still wonder where they should go for suspension. Suspension work is a field where experience is king. Find out who has the most experience with the bike you want tuned. Call/email them and feel it out. If what they say jives with what you want, spend the money. Saving a few hundred gets lost fast if the results aren't good and you have to pay someone to get back in there and sort it out.

ac

Amen, Bruddah! Amen!

It's always far, far better to deal *DIRECTLY* with a suspension specialty shop that knows their stuff about the subject, and doesn't just sell the product, but also services it afterward, as well as offers to tune it and rebuild it as necessary to get it dialed in to your riding style, etc. You also want somebody that knows how to tell you to dial in the adjustments so you get the most out of what you pay for. This takes a bona fide suspension expert - not just an internet vendor.

So many places just sell shocks, or fork kits, but they don't actually do any suspension work of any kind themselves. They're just a front guy for somebody like Ohlins, just ordering your shock out of the Ohlins catalog, getting it into their own hands, then shipping it to you - do nothing more than taking a cut of your money along the way. They don't actually do any suspension building, tuning, servicing, or re-building. If you have a problem and ship it back to them they don't work on it themselves... They just send it back to where they got it.

Better to cut out the middle-man and work direct with a source that not just sells the product, but services it professionally as well. You want that kind of expertise and integrity.

Not a shop that just tells you they *know* suspension, when all they're doing is opening a web page or catalog and simply ordering from a supplier. Sometimes they even just have the product drop-shipped to you, never actually even touching the suspension components they tell you they *know* all about!

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists office. - Unknown

'Cos it's easier to try than to prove it can't be done, and it's easier to stay than to turn around and run. - Justin Hayward
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:39 PM   #7405
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:

HOWEVER

ac
Thought your prior post suggested Ohlins offered a kit for our bike that any Ohlins shop could install "for a song and a dance" but your additional explanation cleared that up....

Yes, it would be nice to pop my forks in the mail to Stoltec but being 10,000 miles away complicates matters...
2006 Djebel 250XC
Old 03-25-2014, 09:45 PM   #7406
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
I'm not sure what AC is referring to twinrider. I do know that when Ohlins first agreed to build the forks for us, they did underestimate the effort it was going to take them to do so. Maybe they were going to use some existing kit?

Jaxon sent his forks to Ohlins to be the guinea pig forks. From what I was told, Ohlins USA quickly realized they did NOT have off the shelf pieces that could be modified to work, so they ended up getting Mothership Ohlins to fab up some of the pieces. The effort & time to accomplish it was more than any party first thought. However, Jaxon was the only one who went without his forks for several months. The rest of us, his customers, benefitted from his and Ohlins efforts.

The only snafu I experienced is that the tech that was building my set (nice fella) got rented out to one of the GP teams at COTA, about this time last year, and I got mine the week after the races instead of the week before.

I was honored. Lol

It made a great story to add to all the amazing tales this bike has afforded.

Didn't get Jaxons fancy anodizing on the caps. Nor the DLC coating on the tubes. Didn't wanna wait. :)
Thanks for the info. Would be nice if Ohlins sold these in their normal lineup.
2006 Djebel 250XC
Old 03-25-2014, 09:58 PM   #7407
snakebitten
Small Town Hick

AC,

You can say that Ohlins has parts that fit the Tenere forks. But even Ohlins themselves do not list or publish or advertise that they have products for the Yamaha Super Tenere. (other than the YA013 shock)

I wish they did. And it does seem logical that since the R&D has already been done, they should be capable of adding the Yamaha Tenere to their catalog. I don't know why they haven't. It's been 1 year since they built them. I kinda thought it was just a red tape issue.

No matter though. Now there are several fork and shock options for folks to choose from. Anyone who wants to upgrade their Tenere can. That's a good thing.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:02 AM   #7408
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,430

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
Hey, Where did you run into Ole Git Ray???
You can be so cruel. I've been looking for my mother since she abandoned me as a chimp.

Anyway.... Finally.....

After 9 months of trying to get my Gen 2 reflash I finally managed it in the UK.
The guy that did it worked with ECUunleashed to develop the original flash. He told me an interesting thing that I have not see mentioned here before. Apparently the ECU has a learning function and will make fueling map adjustments on the fly.

Now it is time for the big strip down. I have just paid $520 equivalent just for the head and suspension bearings ....

Old Git Ray screwed with this post 03-26-2014 at 03:35 AM
Old Git Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:27 AM   #7409
eemsreno
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 960
Just got home Monday evening from the Three Twisted Sisters ride that Dallara hosted. We had a great time and Dallara is the nicest guy you could meet. And a 'Valentino Rossi' On the Twisted Sisters.
Here is a link to my ride.
http://www.yamahasupertenere.com/ind...;topicseen#new

Then on the way home we hit the good off road.
eemsreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 05:07 AM   #7410
muddysoles
The cubicle traveler

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by eemsreno View Post
Then on the way home we hit the good off road.

muddysoles is offline   Reply With Quote