ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2004, 05:42 PM   #16
AntonLargiader
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,111
We were doing in Iron Butt ride and wanted to prove that you could do that without sitting on the interstate all day. We did maybe 65 or 70 on the BRP, stopped for gas twice, a sandwich for a little while and then there was a delay while Meredith talked to a Ranger. :-\ But overall we weren't going nuts.

We stopped for a long sit-down dinner once we got to Tellico Plain, and stopped for the night near Lexington, KY at about 1000 miles. Next day we rode for a few hours and had a long breakfast, and still got back to Gaithersburg in time for the 1500-in-36-hours ride.

Regardless, the point is that it can be done. Remember, this was already in short daylight. In high summer, you have several hours more daylight than we had, and we had several hours to spare.
Old 11-19-2004, 07:58 PM   #17
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by bemiiten
Are you riding at go to jail speeds or stoping for fuel only?
That or damn near. It's close to 500 miles Waynesboro to Cherokee. To get there between 7am and 4pm with two gas stops and a sandwich means hauling ass all day.

I don't question that it could be done but it wouldn't be fun, not in my book anyway. I call Waynesboro to Boone a full day - leaving time for BS breaks, photo ops, and a couple actual meals.
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 09:12 PM   #18
Jack90210
mindful

Oddometer: 14,994
Yeah, I've done Waynesboro to Asheville in daylight before, averaging around 55 or so, stopping every now and then. The idea was to do the entire thing in daylight, at speeds that wouldn't land us in jail, and with enough time for a meal here and a picture there . We'll probably crash in Cherokee, and do Deal's Gap / Cherohala the next day before heading back (prolly slabbing it).

I must say that my son has exposed a reservoir of love and of worry within me that I never knew existed. --nskitts, 9/2/12
Jack90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 04:48 AM   #19
AntonLargiader
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpy
I don't question that it could be done but it wouldn't be fun, not in my book anyway.
We thought it was fun!
Quote:
I call Waynesboro to Boone a full day - leaving time for BS breaks, photo ops, and a couple actual meals.
Meals? You need to ride with Harpoon...
Old 11-20-2004, 09:07 AM   #20
ddlewis
squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonLargiader
We thought it was fun!
Meals? You need to ride with Harpoon...
I rode w/ him -briefly- a couple weekends ago. Dunno about meals but I learned one thing: keep him in front!
Old 11-20-2004, 09:19 AM   #21
ddlewis
squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jck22903
Yeah, I've done Waynesboro to Asheville in daylight before, averaging around 55 or so, stopping every now and then. The idea was to do the entire thing in daylight, at speeds that wouldn't land us in jail, and with enough time for a meal here and a picture there . We'll probably crash in Cherokee, and do Deal's Gap / Cherohala the next day before heading back (prolly slabbing it).
I'm counting the 2.5 hour pre-ride to Waynesboro from south of Richmond, which means we rarely start on the actual BRP much before 11am. Otherwise I'm sure Asheville would be within a comfortable days ride.