User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2010, 11:12 PM   #1
notmybikemodelname OP
KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer: 7,273
Rant and Build: NOTMYBIKE... builds a super light F650-R

We've all heard the story. Boy dates many girls, and finally realizes that with beauty typically comes a lack of brains and the personality of a brick wall, with brains typically comes a lack of beauty and still no personality, with personality comes a "nice" girl, but not very smart and not much to look at. Yes, there's a million variations on the theme.

(Leslie, if you're reading this, you've got it all xoxoxoxox)

Similar with motorcycles. We've all owned and ridden many of them. Beautiful ones, fast ones, strong ones, agile ones, ones that will take you around the world, light ones, heavy ones, etc, etc, etc. But, not all of this in one bike.

I've owned, Husky's, Honda's, Yamaha's, Suzuki's, Ossa's, Bultaco's, plus more and that's just the dirt bikes.

A few years ago, I sold a 2004 Husky TC 450 and bought a BMW Dakar so that I could get in more riding and less trailering and trucking. I could leave the house at 0600, ride the slab for 30 minutes and be in the ANF or CNF and be home by noon, or in the dirt on the way to Mojave and Death VAlley, or even Baja. It just made sense. Unfortunately, I was missing something.

Agility, beauty, performance, and a few other things. But I gained, freedom from the tow/truck, reliability, gas mileage, strength, and to a degree that most other dirt bikes will never attain, intelligent simplicity that only the Germans know how to achieve.

So now what?

I ride 90% dirt, rocks, hill climbs, sand washes, high speed desert and the occasional gravel road.

I like stuff like this.

And this.

And for some reason.......this.

And at times, this.

Now before I go any further, let me say this: I don't want to own a KTM. Yes, I know they handle the dirt better right out of the box. No, I don't like Orange Kool-Aid and I don't want to drink the Jim Jones punch just because every one else does.

Furthermore, I don't give a fuck what you think about my bike if you don't like it. I'm not trying to talk anyone into buying a BMW. I'm only posting this thread for three reasons:

1) To piss you off and make you say stupid things that have been said a million times before and weren't even intelligent the first time.
2) Because other FF's have asked me to detail what I've done to my bike.
3) Because no matter what you say, and remember I've heard it all, I love my BMW Dakar and love it more with every change I make.

So let's take care of the unpleasantries here and now. For each and every one who does not like my thread, bike, mods, attitude, dog, cat, wife, your own wife, your own life, I'm issuing a blanket to each and every naysayer, nattering naybob of negativism, douche bag, negative Nelly, etc, etc, etc.

It simple, if you don't like my bike, disapprove of my attitude, or disagree with my opinions, don't waste your time on my thread. Just unplug....OK

Now back to the girl analogies. We all know that you can't make a beautiful dumb girl smart, right? But we all also know that with the right Dr. you can make a smart, not so well built girl, beautiful. Things like a boob job, butt lift, tummy tuck, shaving the unibrow and beating the cromagnon forehead back just a little with a blunt object. These are all worthwhile endeavors, right?

Back to the motorcycle. Honestly, a KTM is a great bike, but I would not like to ride one across country, or even venture too far out in the desert on one by myself. And a KTM will never be as reliable as a BMW. Come on, we all know it.

[COLOR="Red"]So, here's what my goal became.[/COLOR] To take a Bull dog-looking BMW Dakar at 389lbs dry, with 9.5" of travel, and it's beefier and wider build than most German female wrestlers, and make it a 300lb Gazelle with 11.5" of travel that won't have to worry about the lion catching it, because it will just keep going and going. Think the "Energizer Gazelle"

Now many would say, build a TT Dakar. Sorry, but I think TT products are absolute Shite!

So, I'm going from the ground up and many variations along the way. That's what this thread will document. Plain and simple, I like to build stuff and improve stuff (yes, I know the term "improve" is a matter of opinion). I especially like to build and improve stuff that has a good strong, reliable and well designed base to start with.

So, I started with the strip. I will post a pic of everything that I've removed tomorrow and how much it weighed. But until then, here's a few pics of where I currently am with my Dakar.

If you have any questions or want to see something in more detail, let me know and I'll try to get some pics for you.

notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 11:31 PM   #2
herrhelmet
A Serious Man

Oddometer: 2,369
Sorry, but your wife is still a better looker, but I think you need to build some molds off this before you grind it to **********.

Hey so the blue fender and blue paint look like a perfect match in the pics. I bet it won't look this clean again.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:42 PM   #3
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,456
tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 11:54 PM   #4
punkenduro
now in a cage...

Oddometer: 738
dude, thats bad ass, finally you put up some good pics of it. im (slowly) in the process of the same thing, but making the ligher bike lighter and and MUCH fast with the help of an extra 100cc's, and maybe some head work. cant wait to see what went into it.
punkenduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:28 AM   #5
Agnostic and Orange

Oddometer: 1,314
Too bad no kickstart.
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:30 AM   #6
notmybikemodelname OP
KOTW is a myth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666
Too bad no kickstart.
You got me there
Old 06-23-2010, 12:50 AM   #7
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,019
About time you started a build thread on this bike.

Is your light/fairing bracket made purely of carbon fiber or have you got some alloy in there to.

Could you post some more detailed pics of the fairing and mounts please.
DRjoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 04:25 AM   #8
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,381
Great stuff, that reliable and economic Rotax engine and the well proven FI system are definitely a solid base to build on. Would be impressive if you can really get her down to 300lbs, then it would even be better than an X-Challenge. What's the fuel capacity with those two rear tanks?

I am sure there are lots of us that would appreciate some insight into how you as a pro go about making composite parts from molds to layups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRjoe

Is your light/fairing bracket made purely of carbon fiber or have you got some alloy in there to.

Yo Mr. X-Ray vision, I think that is some twill weave kevlar...

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:09 AM   #9
notmybikemodelname OP
KOTW is a myth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM
Great stuff, that reliable and economic Rotax engine and the well proven FI system are definitely a solid base to build on. Would be impressive if you can really get her down to 300lbs, then it would even be better than an X-Challenge. What's the fuel capacity with those two rear tanks?

I am sure there are lots of us that would appreciate some insight into how you as a pro go about making composite parts from molds to layups.

Yo Mr. X-Ray vision, I think that is some twill weave kevlar...
Currently at 6.1g's.

My plan to get it another 15 lbs closer to 300 is to ditch the whole stock gas tank/sub frame, charcoal cannister, and the new tail tank. All together about 28lbs. It will be replaced with a Husaberg inspired tank/subframe monocoque unit that should wiegh about 12 lbs, and hold 7+ gallons.

Something along this look. I will be doing a full start-to-finish build report on this thread when I build this part.

And, yes you're right. Carbon/Kevlar 2x2 twill 9.9 oz.

notmybikemodelname screwed with this post 06-23-2010 at 08:15 AM
Old 06-23-2010, 08:13 AM   #10
notmybikemodelname OP
KOTW is a myth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRjoe

Pure carbon/kevlar twill, at about 5 oz.

I'll put up more detailed pics this weekend of the fairing mounting system, the airbox, movement of the oil reservoir, skidplate, and rear gas tank.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:31 AM   #11
Brtp4
Do what you love.

Oddometer: 1,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmybikemodelname

It simple, if you don't like my bike, disapprove of my attitude, or disagree with my opinions, don't waste your time on my thread. Just unplug....OK
Well said. Love it. Compliments.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 11:28 AM   #12
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,430
Quote:
Now before I go any further, let me say this: I don't want to own a KTM. Yes, I know they handle the dirt better right out of the box. No, I don't like Orange Kool-Aid and I don't want to drink the Jim Jones punch just because every one else does.

Furthermore, I don't give a fuck what you think about my bike if you don't like it. I'm not trying to talk anyone into buying a BMW. I'm only posting this thread for three reasons:

1) To piss you off and make you say stupid things that have been said a million times before and weren't even intelligent the first time.
2) Because other FF's have asked me to detail what I've done to my bike.
3) Because no matter what you say, and remember I've heard it all, I love my BMW Dakar and love it more with every change I make.

So let's take care of the unpleasantries here and now. For each and every one who does not like my thread, bike, mods, attitude, dog, cat, wife, your own wife, your own life, I'm issuing a blanket to each and every naysayer, nattering naybob of negativism, douche bag, negative Nelly, etc, etc, etc.

To each their own. If this is what floats your boat then more power to you.

Meanwhile, I will be out riding my *BLUE*KTM that starts out well below 300 pounds, already has 12" of travel in the front and 13" in the rear - off the showroom floor. I learned a long time ago that manufacturers can usually do a better job on designing the base platform of any vehicle I buy than I can, so that is where I tend to start.

Granted, my bike doesn't do pavement well, but I don't care - I want a street legal dirt bike, not a dual sport that I have to strip and rebuild to try to make it halfway decent on the trails - and it is way more than decent on the trails. I figure that since I am spending most of my time on the trails, that is where I want the bike to be brilliant and I am willing to compromise elsewhere.

But by all means carry on - it is interesting and fun to see what other people do to their bikes. I don't want to rain on your parade. Good luck and keep us informed. I am most interested to see whether you can break the 300 pound barrier. Break out the kevlar, the titanium and the helium - you'll need it. I am adding a bit of weight to my bike by carrying tools/etc. - I'll meet you in the middle (I think I can stay below 300 pounds though).
Not all who wander are lost

CodeMonkee screwed with this post 06-23-2010 at 11:36 AM
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:05 PM   #13
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by herrhelmet
That is definitely a sweet bike. Much better articulation than fartulances'. I wouldn't argue with all but the maintenance issue. I remember 'Bergs being light, nimble and fast, but pretty maintenance heavy... so are the new ones from the Orange people not? Would it make a good RTW or rally bike?

I like mostly dirt too, but gave up on the super highly strung bikes 'cause they break more.
An oil change and check valves every 15 to 30 hours - maybe less often if you ride as slow as I do. I personally don't consider changing the oil and checking the valves to be heavy maintenance. The rest of the maintenance is fairly standard - checking for loose bolts and such, which I do every time I prep for a ride anyway.

The new 70 deg. engines are not high strung, they are very tractable and as tame as you want them to be (as tame as your right hand is). But they are made for enduro racing and the maint. schedules reflect that use. Don't race? Don't need as much maintenance. Changing oil is easy, I am about to find out what checking the valves is like - or you can just take it to the dealer and pay them $80 every time you need to do both.

Much of the engine is KTM, so many parts interchange. From the cylinder up is all KTM.

Oh, and BTW - aftermarket tanks already made can take total capacity up to almost 8 gallons. No need to make your own. Just have the wherewithal to buy them.

But enough hijacking NOTMYBIKE's build thread. If you want to know more about my bike you can click on the link in my sig or you can go to Husaberg.org where the real experts on Hussys are.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:11 PM   #14
notmybikemodelname OP
KOTW is a myth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonkee
...wherewithal to buy them.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:15 PM   #15
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Quote:
Nice Bike. I love the Berg's too. I'm just not going to buy one right now, if ever. I've discovered after owning so many bikes, that if you buy a new one every time some new trend, device, or design comes out, you're going to end up broke, divorced or a poor rider for lack of never getting to know your machine.

I'll stick with what I have for now and adjust as needed until something better comes along for what I like to do.
Well, I had a broken DR350 (total engine grenade - rod, piston, cylinder, valves - all exploded into many pieces - not sure about the crank) and I wanted to get back into riding off-road. I could have rebuilt the DR or upgraded to something better. I upgraded. I will probably keep this bike for years - I like it. I do want a Christini kit for it (none is forthcoming) so that is the only thing that might make me want a different bike if that turns out to be impossible - I am willing to wait to see if Christini ever creates a kit for the new Hussys - they are waiting on the economy to turn around, as am I (unemployed).