ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2010, 03:56 PM   #1
ADVMindset OP
Americana Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,137
Wanted: Road Condition for Dorrington to Beardsley, CA

I am in the Sonora area and would like to know road conditions from off of Hwy. 4 at Dorrington on Stanislaus Primary Forest Route 52 to Beardsley area near Hwy. 108....

Has anyone been over this route in the last several days ?

Thanks in advance !

Thanks "kdxkawboy" and "enduro4fun" for the responses.
I decided to check it out and below is what I found !

ADVMindset screwed with this post 06-25-2010 at 11:31 AM
ADVMindset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 06:45 PM   #2
kdxkawboy
Mr. NVKLRGirl

Oddometer: 2,631
Should not run into any problems. Might expect a few muddy sections with the high run off this year, but the road is maintained by the USFS to be doable by the average family sedan.

As you head down from Dorrington, there will be a dirt road the forks off to your right as you round the last of the big sweepers before the road heads downhill to the river. This is the old Board's Crossing Road. Little on the rough side, but better than any pavement. Once across the river you can head back up to Route 52, or if you stay to the right, and if the gate is opened past the last of the houses you get into a most interesting network of old dirt logging roads. Its the start of the old Hell's Half Acre Road that comes out at the inlet end of Beardlsey. You get off on the old logging roads you'll find some of the old narrow gauge grades as well as the remains of the old logging camps up above the Scout Camp.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:04 PM   #3
enduro4fun
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
I was just up there 2 weekends ago and we could not get thru on 52. We fought through 2 + feet of snow in spots untill we finally got to one section of 3 to 4 foot snow drifts covering the whole road for as far as we could see. We ended up turning around and heading back after fighting it for a couple of hours. Might be clear by this weekend.
enduro4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:25 AM   #4
ADVMindset OP
Americana Adventurer

Found out the cold truth !

This ride was a trail condition scouting ride for the road between Dorrington, CA and Beardsley, CA off of Hwy. 4 for a Jeep trip that was planned for Saturday
Thanks "enduro4fun" for the heads-up on the snow...but I thought it's been fairly warm lately maybe it had melted enough...

I wasn't able to get all of the way through just like "enduro4fun" had said, as there was snow blocking the road...3-4 feet of it ! And that was just in one location, there had been snow for about 5 miles off to the side of the road but nothing across it making it impassable until this spot ! I had to turn around much to My dismay.
Checked out a few other F.S. roads in the area and found more snow.
It looks like it will be at least a few weeks before that one area will be melted enough to get through. A few pix of what I found !

Looking up and over the BIG drift I could see the road but there just wasn't anyway to get through !

All of this run-off sure makes some Cool waterfalls !

Well, I'm gonna give this another try in a few weeks and see if I can get through. Also am going to try it from the Beardsley side and see how far before the snow becomes an obstacle !
Old 06-25-2010, 06:43 PM   #5
WoodsChick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVMindset

Looking up and over the BIG drift I could see the road but there just wasn't anyway to get through!
You didn't look hard enough...

Your photo looks like it was taken in the exact same spot. This was in June `06. We went around it and made it fairly far, but we kept running into more and more drifts. We were in leathers (it started out as a street ride on Gripsters) and we were working way too hard so we turned around.
I've yet to make it all the way through...

WoodsChick

Old 06-28-2010, 09:01 AM   #6
ADVMindset OP
Americana Adventurer

Yup....
I guess I didn't !
I'll have to check out the "detour" if the snow is still there next time !
Old 06-28-2010, 06:08 PM   #7
kdxkawboy
Mr. NVKLRGirl

Oddometer: 2,631
I think you should be able to find a route clear of snow. Its possible to get from one side to the other without. If you are coming from the Beardsley side, after crossing the dam 5N02 follows the lake shore before making its switchback and climbing the side of the of the canyon. As it starts to circle around a knob to head back to the north east you should see a turn off on your left for 4N07, taking you to Soap Creek and Soap Creek Pass.

Pick up 5N07 and follow along Soap Creek - shouldn't get any higher than 4800' on this leg. Follow 5N07 as it leaves the Soap Creek Drainage. The road will cross over the ridge line on the south side of Soap Creek, follow the ridge line on the side overlooking the Middle Fork of the Stansilaus, cross back over this ridge line and circle down to Griswold Creek. Follow the road across the Griswold Creek, up and over the next ridge line to Big Trees Creek, cross the creek and follow 5N07 on over to Beaver Creek. On this leg the highest elevation will be a saddle at 5000' that cross before dropping down to Big Trees Creek.

You can continue to follow 5N07 as it goes up the Beaver Creek drainage. As you are following along the northern side of Beaver Creek Canyon you'll interesect Hell's Half Acre Road, where you make a left turn onto Hell's Half Acre. Follow Hell's Half Acre north until it runs into 6N07. Cross over from 6N07 to 5N02 will be just shy of 5000'.

That should get you across without running into snow. When you get between the forks of the Stanislaus it seems natural to follow the roads towards the higher elevations. Once you start hitting that snow you need to more or less double back to the Stanislaus River crossing you started from and then take the roads that head you back down canyon. It keeps you at the lower elevations, away from those snow drifts that hang inther until mid-July when there has been something like 150% of normal snowfall.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:32 PM   #8
LookOutLinn
Strom Trooper

Oddometer: 257
Question

Looks like fun... If you need company, I'll go.
LookOutLinn is offline   Reply With Quote