Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2014, 02:15 PM   #1
JstCruzn86 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
how to tell: left/right cyinder

1970, r75/5.
Cylinders freshly deglazed. New piston rings.

Cylinder skirts have a cutout on one side. I believe those cutouts originally were toward front of bike, but I see reference photo online with cutouts at rear. Does it matter? If so, this will determine which cylinder goes on the left/right.

Thank you.
JstCruzn86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 02:40 PM   #2
JstCruzn86 OP
Adventurer

Laugh

Scratch that, cutouts align with engine case regardless of which cylinder is installed.
Old 08-28-2014, 03:15 PM   #3
AntonLargiader
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,132
You still had an original left and right. In case you prefer to keep it that way, you can usually tell by finding the dirty (front) side of each cylinder provided they haven't been bead blasted.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:43 AM   #4
JstCruzn86 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonLargiader View Post
You still had an original left and right. In case you prefer to keep it that way, you can usually tell by finding the dirty (front) side of each cylinder provided they haven't been bead blasted.
Thanks for the response. I went ahead and installed both sides, including the heads, and torqued everything down.

After a lot of studying of the scratch patterns on the cylinder fins of on an old photo, I see now they are not in there original position. As long the pistons "vorn" arrow faces forward (for the right side means piston lettering is upside down), and the pistons are on the original side (keeping the same piston pin wear)--shouldnt be a problem with the cylinders swapping sides right?
Old 08-29-2014, 01:56 AM   #5
ianhl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by JstCruzn86 View Post
Thanks for the response. I went ahead and installed both sides, including the heads, and torqued everything down.

After a lot of studying of the scratch patterns on the cylinder fins of on an old photo, I see now they are not in there original position. As long the pistons "vorn" arrow faces forward (for the right side means piston lettering is upside down), and the pistons are on the original side (keeping the same piston pin wear)--shouldnt be a problem with the cylinders swapping sides right?
i shouldn't think so. i just built an engine from old parts. i had four cylinders, four heads and two bottom ends to choose from and picked the best looking of the bunch to make an engine. i have no idea what side of what engine the cylinders originally came from...
ianhl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:59 AM   #6
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,397
Parts get mixed up all the time and it rarely causes a problem. When we can we try to put things back as they were but otherwise you do the best you can. Try not to lose any sleep over it. Nobody else does.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 07:49 AM   #7
Whiteguyphil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
Just an idea for the future....

One of the PO's of mine punched an 'L' on the underside of the left jug using a center punch, thought it was a good idea and when I bought my Siebenrock kit did the same...

1977 BMW R100/7T USA - Gilda
Whiteguyphil is offline   Reply With Quote