Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2011, 06:41 AM   #136
LasseNC
XSessive!

Oddometer: 1,054
I love the level of detail in your writing, and, well the pics are nice too :)
LasseNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:19 PM   #137
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,366
Yeah, just avoiding other work by fiddling about polishing the carbs. I've done one cap and one bowl, and I think I'll stop here and pick up the shine project the next time I have the carbs apart for actual work. The left one is, as yet, unpolished and I think I'll leave it that way--one can see only one carb at a time, no?

No-name carb top:

A side view:

And the view we'll all see when the bike goes down:

Tomorrow it's back to dicking about with electricity, hoping to make the dash lights function.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:24 PM   #138
fishkens
Further...

Oddometer: 5,147
You have a special touch and level of patience.
fishkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 06:49 AM   #139
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,683
Bada-Bing!

Good looking work, electrical and carbical....

Old 06-26-2011, 03:57 PM   #140
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

Yeah, I didn't dick about with electricity until today. Mrs. melville has had me clearing brush and crap and making dump runs mit the Kombi in preparation for framing a deck on the east side of the house. Finally, back to our MC drama.

So the dash lights were not functioning. This thing was the difficulty:

It holds the various lights in place in the instrument pod, running power from the pins through some copper foil to flexible tangs which engage the bulb holders. I pulled the bulb holders and cleaned the contacts, but it didn't help. I then checked continuity from the pins to the tangs and found a few that weren't on speaking terms. I was prepared to buy a new flexible circuit board, but figured I'd try a little fix first. e28rusty mentioned gobbing on some solder to improve continuity, and I gave gobbing a go, first securing the unit to a board:

Then gobbing some of the pins that weren't connected:

This brought the hot back to the top four lights and the ground back to the high beam, turn signals, and instrument lights. I did not try to fix the ground side of the brake fluid level light, as it was in a tight space with a high probability of shorting out several other functions if I were to goof up.

I put the pod back together, plugged it in, and turned the ignition on:

I've got the neutral light and the OP light working, but the gen light was dark. Like on an alternator equipped VW, that light is a necessary part of the charging system, so I took the pod off and apart and looked for the trouble, as I had good continuity and a working bulb when I tested the stuff off the bike. I pulled the bulb holder and found these inside the gen light space:

Those are bits of copper that fell off the tangs that meet the bulb holder, leaving them plastic and non-conducting. In a McGyver moment, I tried some wee bits of alu foil tucked in between the plastic and copper foil of the flexible circuit, and bent down to function as the copper tangs did before. And success!

Pod now mounted up:

I have the lights you see functioning, plus the instrument illumination. High beam indicator, turn signal indicator, and brake fluid level are not working, but I think I can live with that.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:04 PM   #141
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

Well, it's been a coupla weeks since we checked in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melville, a coupla weeks ago
I have the lights you see functioning, plus the instrument illumination. High beam indicator, turn signal indicator, and brake fluid level are not working, but I think I can live with that.
No, I can't live with that. I took the instrument pod off the bike, took it apart, and worked some hot molten metal magic, this time with wire.

I added wires to take the happy electrons to the ground side of the brake fluid light, and the hot side of the turn signal light and the high beam indicator. Looking like so:

There is some empty space on those pins under their cover, plenty of room to wrap wire and solder it in place. Then I ran the wires to the bulb holes, stripped and flattened to meet up with the bulb holders. Assembled into the pod:

And mounted up, with the brake fluid switch forced into contact:

The instrument illumination is still functioning, and the high beam indicator doesn't show in the bright sun, but it works.

Further progress awaits the space aliens leaving a bag o' cash in the yard......
Old 07-13-2011, 05:25 PM   #142
e28rusty
Fool

Oddometer: 75
Wow, that looks like a lot more work than I had to put into mine, I'm glad you got it all working though. Mine is still missing the high beam indicator, but it'll give me something to do next winter when it's too cold to ride.
e28rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:21 AM   #143
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

Hey patient peeps! Been waiting for some money to come in so I can get parts to continue this project:

Meanwhile, trying to drum up some cash by putting on shows with my coaster Airhead:

('Chops courtesy of my Sea Elephant friends)

But meanwhile things are afoot and the Eagle may fly, if not this Friday, then soon.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:43 PM   #144
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

Doing odds 'n' ends while I'm waiting on clutch bits. Rolled the bike out, dusted it off, and figured this was a good sunny day to glue rubber bits on. Got out the kneegrips and sat them in the sun for a while, cleaned off the mold release with lacquer thinner, and got out the gorilla snot:

Let it dry to a tack and stuck it on:

Also mounted roundels:

Yes, that's me reflected in the tank. I like my painter!

And the wide shot:

In the next week or two I should be able to remount the transmission, and with that I can get the air filter clamshell back on, and then the carbs and throttle cables.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:59 PM   #145
kraut.burner
Smells güt!

Oddometer: 460
nothing more pleasing than stickin' on some new? roundels

kraut.burner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 03:07 PM   #146
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraut.burner View Post
nothing more pleasing than stickin' on some new? roundels
DeeLuxe S-model roundels, no less! Mmmm shiny!
Old 09-18-2011, 06:57 PM   #147
kraut.burner
Smells güt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by melville View Post
DeeLuxe S-model roundels, no less! Mmmm shiny!
these big ol' honkin things?

Old 09-24-2011, 06:00 PM   #148
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

Mrs. melville took the boys geocaching and left me at home to play with the motorbike. Clutch installation time, new disc and pressure plate!

First, I had to make a clutch centering tool. Haynes told me the size it needed to be:

And I found that my 15mm deep socket was darn close to the 20.7 size, making me wonder how I could make the pointy end of it. A little thinking and a $2 trip to the hardware store, and it was off to the races:

Soon afterward, the clutch was mounted:

And centered:

Next up, reinstalling the transmission. A year after I cleaned and refinished the trans, it needed a little cleaning:

But just three minutes with a softish ScotchBrite and it's all better:

Now it was time to get the trans in. I keep hearing about removing the swingarm pivots and pushing the swingarm back to remove/replace the trans but for the life of me I can't see why. This time I removed the rear engine mount and tilted the rear of the engine up just a bit, but I'm not sure even that was required. Anyway, it's in now:

I got new clamps for the trans/swingarm boot in SS, but they were not to my standard. A quick run on the buffer got them up to spec (before and after seen here):

I've also heard grumbling about getting the boot onto its various flanges. I used an old bicycle spoke to get the boot over the flanges, and it didn't seem too bad:

The last thing was to get the battery and airbox back in place:

I do want to curse the guy who used the top right trans mount stud to mount the right half of the airbox--no room to swing the wrench there, and hard to keep the airbox half aligned as you crank it in. I ended up wrenching a bit, knocking the thing into alignment with the rubber mallet, wrenching a bit, knocking a bit, until everything looked good. That's all for today.

melville screwed with this post 09-24-2011 at 08:26 PM
Old 09-24-2011, 08:22 PM   #149
kraut.burner
Smells güt!

Great attention to detail

I cant begin to explain how much of a difference it'll make when your bike's done. It'll really give you that "Warm" feeling that you did it right.

One less thing to worry about

Old 09-25-2011, 07:53 AM   #150
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraut.burner View Post
Great attention to detail

I cant begin to explain how much of a difference it'll make when your bike's done. It'll really give you that "Warm" feeling that you did it right.

One less thing to worry about
I've seen evidence of PermaGrin in your recent pix! Looking for some of that myself.