Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2011, 03:30 PM   #151
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,357
Just a few things today. Got the instrument cables installed, and then the front cover and carburetors. Looking like so:

Next up is throttle cables and then waiting for the next round of $$$$.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:53 PM   #152
xavier296
Alaska n'Back

Oddometer: 290
Buffing

Are you just using one compound on the buffer, or do you have multiple pads? Your items are coming out looking great!
I welcome any and all couch surfers if you are traveling through Augusta. I even have a well stocked garage for emergent repairs.
xavier296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 02:31 PM   #153
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavier296 View Post
Are you just using one compound on the buffer, or do you have multiple pads? Your items are coming out looking great!
I'm using a stitched buffer and 'grey' compound for the initial buff on AL, followed by a loose-leaf buff and jeweler's rouge for a final buff. For chrome and SS, I'm only doing the one step with grey and stitched. Neither takes very long--minutes at the most. This gets a finish that makes sense in the context of a finished, assembled, (someday) ridden bike.

Most of the work is in the filing and sanding of crusty old AL parts. The lower triple was several hours of filing and sanding, sanding progressively from 120 grit through 600 grit, wetsanding from 180 grit on up. Then maybe 10 minutes on each stage of buffing.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:14 PM   #154
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,163
I ran into a problem when mounting later model R100CS 40mm carbs to my old R100S engine. The stock choke linkage bound up at every use. I also used old bicycle spokes and then JB welded in some cheepo Ace Hardware knobs. My Heinrich tank doesn't allow much clearance to pull up the choke controls.

PS - please quit cleaning up all your pieces so nicely....I'm feeling like a bum slapping my "patina'd" parts back on!
But of course I'm getting old and don't want any of my projects to outlive me.

Your bike is looking awesome!

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992

bmwhacker screwed with this post 09-26-2011 at 06:21 PM
bmwhacker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 06:20 PM   #155
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhacker View Post
PS - please quit cleaning up all your pieces so nicely....I'm feeling like a bum slapping my "patina'd" parts back on!
Make your Zundapp run and no one will ever say anything!
Old 10-15-2011, 05:48 PM   #156
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

Not much to report. Installed the throttle cables today and started looking up at the rest of the fuel system. Tank to be relined soon, and all the wear parts in the petcocks to be replaced. Then it's a matter or saving my pennies for a fabulous SS exhaust.

I got a good look at the petcock bodies today, and they seem a bit rough on the outside, with some casting flash and a somewhat 'pebbly' finish. I may have to BLING them......
Old 10-16-2011, 08:09 AM   #157
fishkens
Further...

Oddometer: 5,147
Oy, shiny petcocks. You must be one of the most patient people on earth. I hope the exhaust arrives and you start riding this beauty before you start polishing the inside of the valve covers.
fishkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 07:15 PM   #158
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

Hey patient peeps! Still working on it, got some stuff coming for it, but a little four-wheeled delay:

It's not all bad news--this same motor was blown up when I started this Airhead project, and I made great progress doing an hour or a day on one, and an hour or a day on the other. $$$$ becomes even more of an issue, though.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:37 PM   #159
MAVIGATOR
RogueOutlawRiderFromCity

Oddometer: 38
Question

Hey Mil,

Can you please tell where you found this nice colored electrical wiring diagram indicated in your thread # 115?

Good job on this rebuild Man..

Quote:
Originally Posted by melville View Post
The starter relay has been vexing me. I've cleaned the terminals, checked the wiring, defeated the interlocks (for test purposes only) and never got more than a faint click coming from some other thing in the headlight bucket. When I started this project, the relay gave me trouble as well, but functioned decently once I cleaned the terminals. Move forward a year to the reassembly stage, and it refused to function. Today I rechecked the wiring of the starter switch circuit and it all seemed fine--continuity as it should be, switch functioning, everything that was spozed to be hot was hot, everything that was spozed to be ground was ground. I then hooked up a couple leads to the terminals of the battery and tried hotwiring the switch side of the relay and got nothing. I've been resisting replacing the relay because it's a specific BMW $$$ part, toward the bottom right of this diagram:

But if you look at the schematic it looks like a regular old DIN relay with a couple extra terminals to connect the blue wires, which are part of the charging system. This was confirmed for me when I got the most recent issue of BMW Owner's News where Saint Matthew of Parkhouse replaced the BMW part with a plain old DIN relay, and connected the blue wires separately to fix his old /5. I have no idea how that got published, as I'm sure that BMW doesn't want us buying $5 relays from NAPA instead of $100 relays from the dealer. So anyway, I found a spare relay in my pile o' VW stuff, hooked it up to the load (starter) wires, and hotwired the switch side as before. NaNaNaNaNaNa! I then hooked it up more properly to the switch circuit, and was able to run the starter off the button, as God and Max Friz intended. Here's how it looks now. I'll be installing it properly soon:

This frees up a lot of mental space for me to pursue other electrical anomalies. Also, later this week, Mrs. melville and I will discuss moto budget for the near future.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to fulfill it" G. Santayana
MAVIGATOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 08:34 PM   #160
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAVIGATOR View Post
Hey Mil,

Can you please tell where you found this nice colored electrical wiring diagram indicated in your thread # 115?

Good job on this rebuild Man..
Someone else posted that diagram (and it's for 1974), but it's a match for what I have in my Haynes manual. Very useful, and pointed me toward testing the various relays with jumper wires so I could find out that most of them were fritzed.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:59 PM   #161
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

Yeah, been away from this for a little bit. Since I last checked in, I've installed a Caswell tank lining kit. It went well enough, but would have gone a lot better if the ambient temperature had been more than 45 deg F. I put the tank and Caswell stuff in a Bus with a space heater going full blast, but had a hard time keeping it over 60 deg F while curing. It filled the seams well, but some bare areas remain toward the top and front of the tank.

Meanwhile, I replaced the steering box in the Kombi, blew up the motor in the Westy, and am working on reanimating the Bus that has been serving as my project shed these last coupla years.

However, the money tree is about to bear fresh fruit, and I'm getting the last bits ready. On to the next item to be BLINGED!

The petcocks. The one on top was disassembled and cleaned a while ago, then loosely reassembled waiting for replacement seals and washers. Today I took it apart again to clean up the exterior and start the bling process:

Once apart, I had to protect the fine AL threads on each end of it. I wrapped them in electrical tape, then surrounded the tape with spare hose clamps from the Bus reanimation project:

This made it easy to clamp the body in the vise:

And shoeshine the various burrs, part lines, and logos off it, leading to this:

My apologies for the crap pix today--my usual camera has turned up missing and I've not figured out how to get what I want from the much nicer one I borrowed from the older boy.

melville screwed with this post 01-09-2012 at 08:38 AM Reason: Spelling!
Old 01-08-2012, 07:54 PM   #162
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,457
Great build, love the attention to detail... keep up the good work.

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:43 PM   #163
cycleman2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
Good job and I admire your patience.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:38 PM   #164
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,675
How're you and your gem coming along, Melville?

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:56 AM   #165
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
How're you and your gem coming along, Melville?

I'm at 28 days straight at work and maybe another 25 to come. I'm also trying to fix this:

Then there will be a new (to us) house to prep (interior paint, floors) for rental coming mid-April. That's the bad news.

The good news is that 'round about May 1 I'll have a buttload of time and money and the rain should be done for the next several months. Looking forward to finishing this and moving on to ride reports.