User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2012, 05:37 PM   #166
chipsdad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
i just completed wiring my /5

I just finished wiring my /5 by bypassing the bad relay altogether. I put a push button starter through my tool tray. seems to work nicely. this saved me lots of $ because my starter switch was also fried.
Can you please tell where you found this nice colored electrical wiring diagram indicated in your thread # 115?

Good job on this rebuild Man..[/QUOTE]
chipsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:56 AM   #167
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipsdad View Post
I just finished wiring my /5 by bypassing the bad relay altogether. I put a push button starter through my tool tray. seems to work nicely. this saved me lots of $ because my starter switch was also fried.
Can you please tell where you found this nice colored electrical wiring diagram indicated in your thread # 115?

Good job on this rebuild Man..
The online version of that diagram looks like it's on Blaine's photobucket. It's a match for what I have in my Haynes manual, so I think that's the OG source.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 01:47 PM   #168
Caddy82rats
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,156
Nice work, and work on details !
Caddy82rats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:14 PM   #169
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

So for my birthday I got a swell fine MotoBins pattern /6 seat, all the way from England. The cat loved the box:

Now that was 6 weeks ago, and I've been working every day since. However, today I had a work interruption:

And had to come home to fix that while the weather held. It turned out to be an easy fix, so I had time to fiddle with the motorbike while the sun shone and the Giants spring training game came over the radio. Hearing Jon Miller's voice always makes it feel like summer.

The seat is nice, but it had some issues. The pins that secured the trim on the lower edge were left a bit long, and one of them left this scratch in my powdercoat:

I touched it up with a Sharpie, and went to the problem of the pins. When they are left long like this:

They touch the frame in a couple places, and not only do they scratch the frame, but they get pushed out and the trim starts sitting free of the seat. So I pressed them all in a bit:

And cut them down:

The seat came with these screws to hold the hinges on:

For the life of me I can't figure out how one tightens them. Easy enough to do off the bike, but then I can't get the hinges on the pins without gouging the fender. So I went to the hardware store and got hex head cap screws and everything is peachy now. I'd have done Duane's lift off seat mod, but the screws are in the wrong place to do it. I'd like to eventually refurbish the old seat pan and go to Rick Mayer's for a custom Giuliari style seat, but it could be a bit of work:

Giving the new seat the ass test:

And it passes!
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:02 PM   #170
fishkens
Further...

Oddometer: 5,147

p.s. Will that guy come by my place and tow my Vanagon away too? Oy.
fishkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:07 AM   #171
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishkens View Post

p.s. Will that guy come by my place and tow my Vanagon away too? Oy.
No no no--he was DELIVERING it! The ignition crapped out on my way to work (loose wire, as it turned out) and I was in no mood to fix it on the road in the dark, so I walked the last 4 miles to work and had Mrs. melville arrange its recovery.

Vanagon? My sincerest sympathies.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:20 PM   #172
Ricklesss
Ricklesssssssss

Oddometer: 115
Subscribed!
I just read the entire post in one go, and I'm rooting for ya'!
Great thread, and good on ya'!
RicklesssssssssS in Oregon

"And no matter what, what ever you do, NEVER chase camels faster than your guardian angel can fly...
Ricklesss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 05:10 PM   #173
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

So I broke the string at 48 straight days at the Number Factory. The weather was not promising this morning, but eventually the sun came out and things were awesome. I spent the day like a cat, getting up and killing a mouse or two, then going back for a nap. Good times. One mouse took the form of finishing the polish on the petcock body. It's a difficult thing, with many nooks and crannies, but for the most part those aren't visible when mounted. Here's one finished, and the other still in 'before' condition:

Mounted, with the outer cap in place:

In other news, some gently used SS headpipes are on their way here from Hawai'i. Sitting here, listening to loud pipes saving lives on 101 this sunny Sunday, has me contemplating running it with open headers.

But I'll probably get muffler$ first.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:09 PM   #174
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

Skipped work again today when it appeared there'd be a window when it wasn't POUNDING DOWN RAIN. Walked the dogs mit the older boy, got the big city paper, and sat and read it a while until things warmed up outside.

Last week, I became aware of some used Keihans SS headpipes for a good price, and I jumped on the deal. They arrived Friday in good order. The seller is an interested observer of this project:

They were a little bling deficient:

No worries, for I am the KING! I tried the balance pipe clamps first. They cleaned up quickly:

I then went on to the balance pipe:

It was a bit more work, as it had been hotter than the clamps. Then I did the right headpipe. It was a lotta work, but I think it's looking pretty good:

This week I should get all the small bits I need short of the mufflers and I may get some time to work on it next weekend.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:51 PM   #175
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

Yeah, no progress today. Got a box o' parts today, probably enough to fire the thing up mit open pipes! Not this weekend, though.

In other events this week, Mrs. melville and the boys bought me a GoPro camera for finishing hell season over to the Number Factory and today things dried up enough for an Airhead coaster test of the camera. Here it is (clicky on the picky):

45 seconds of Freedom!

Got a weekend of making sawdust and paint splatters tomorrow and Sunday over to the new rental. I should be able to spin wrenches next weekend.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:35 AM   #176
Mal S7
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
HA! That's great Mel. I'm just back in the door from a 500km plus ride and my ears are still ringing from the roar of wind and engine. I want a bike like yours!

cheers
Mal
Mal S7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:01 PM   #177
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

All done with the most recent batch of carpentry 'n' plumbing (and some electrical). Back to the bike. After polishing the petcock body, the related hardware was looking kinda drab:

The lever was kinda plain as well, so I sanded off where it said "FUEL" and "KARCOMA" to smooth things out:

Then I sanded the nuts and had the younger boy rattle the can so I could do this:

After a bit of curing and a second coat, I reassembled the tap with new o-ring and gaskets and put it loosely on the tank:

Tightening to follow when the paint is fully cured. Now I have to BLING the other fuel tap.

In other news, my local Airhead guy got mirrors in for me and I like them:

But I had to make one wee change:

Just some little stuff and the exhaust remain between now and VROOM.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:18 PM   #178
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

Finished the repolish on the headpipes. There's a tiny chance I could get enough done tomorrow to hear it run mit open pipes, but more likely next weekend.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:30 PM   #179
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

Headpipes on!

I then filled the floatbowls and pushed the starter button. It appears I'll be needing a battery. Not sure why--it only sat a year and a half mit the parking lights on......

So I pulled the Kombi over and got the jumper cables out. Turned over much better and I heard a coupla pops, but insufficient fuel and battery for a full VROOM. Next week, I'll have a fresh battery and fuel in the tank, and I'll expect a bit more.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:19 PM   #180
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,834
Looking awfully fine, Mr. Mellville.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote