Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2012, 09:59 PM   #181
KPWest
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Please have someone record you starting her up for the first time when you get that battery and fuel in the tank. As a fellow 75/6 owner that went through something of a rebuild a couple of months ago, I would LOVE to see a video of you firing her up.
KPWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:52 AM   #182
Mr. Vintage
Family Dude

Oddometer: 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by melville View Post
Congrats on the first signs of life!, the bike looks really sharp. Since you have the polishing gig down, I know of a bay-window bus that could use some love...
Old 05-21-2012, 08:02 AM   #183
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPWest View Post
Please have someone record you starting her up for the first time when you get that battery and fuel in the tank. As a fellow 75/6 owner that went through something of a rebuild a couple of months ago, I would LOVE to see a video of you firing her up.
Mrs. melville was filming, but as it was unsuccessful I've spared you the trouble.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 04:23 PM   #184
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

Yeah, not much to report today. My nightmares have taken new form:

I think the cab section was sold locally a couple years ago as part of an antique garbage truck. Yes, it can be driven from the roof(!!!).

Here's the big MC news:

Street legal!
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
Old 05-26-2012, 04:50 PM   #185
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,448
Ah Ha! It's a Cris Craft Fly Bridge on a Bus.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:13 PM   #186
WRC51
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
Ha Ha thanks for the reminder, I forgot the race was this holiday weekend. A neighbor is working the finish line Monday and I hope to be there.
WRC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:57 AM   #187
east high
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRC51 View Post
Ha Ha thanks for the reminder, I forgot the race was this holiday weekend. A neighbor is working the finish line Monday and I hope to be there.
I miss the kinetic sculpture race. I have some friends on the bigfoot/sasquatch team this year.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:21 PM   #188
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

OK, a couple details:

My local Airhead guy got a battery in for me. He called it "maintenance free," so I didn't expect it to be an AGM unit. I was a little worried when it appeared a bit narrower and taller than the old "wet" battery, but those were more features than they were problems. Dealt with taller this way:

And narrower meant this is possible:

Indeed, I shit you not--the battery can be removed out the top! No more disassembling the whole intake tract.

Other pluses are semi captive nuts so only one wrench is needed to make connections at the terminals, and that can be done with a nutdriver from above.

I'd made some choke pulls out of bicycle spokes, but I really wanted them to be joined with hot molten metal. I took a welding class this past semester, and the instructor had some design advice and some silver braze. The new ones are on the right, an old one on the left:

Some clean-up of the flux was necessary, so a couple thwacks mit the hammer, some ScotchBrite, and some time on the buffer got me to here:

Putting the SS crimp in line with the pull also solved another potential problem of the item vibrating in the hole. Pleased to see that it fit right in:

I polished the other petcock body this morning, installed both in the tank, rehosed it, and was rewarded with this (click for video, and turn the sound UP!):

I think things are going to run like so--finish the remaining details next weekend, and I should have mufflers the weekend after. Looking forward to some moto mobility!
Old 05-28-2012, 06:25 PM   #189
Gerg
Cupcake

Oddometer: 8,289
VARRROOM indeed!

Shop is almost finished and then I start on my R100/7. I hope it comes out as nice as yours!

Gerg

BOOF 160, AMA, RA, MOA, HOG
Live life like you stole it!
Your $5 off SMUGMUG Coupon is
hESgLtqESqM1Q

Gerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 05:33 PM   #190
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

Yep, heard it bellow again today. Twice! I rolled it out to work on it, and the younger boy asked,

"Daddy, does it run?"

"Well, son, let me show you."

"VARROOMM!!"

Later, while I was filling the various drivetrain bits that get gear oil, my neighbor came over to yak a bit.

"Boy, it's looking really close. Does it run?"

"Funny you should ask."

"VARROOMM!"

I learned that this same neighbor had sold his old Yamaha 850 Triple. He'd mentioned it before, like this: "I've got this old Yamaha in the garage...." Usually, when someone says that about a VW they end up giving it to us and I was worried that I'd end up with a Yamaha to revive. Dodged that one!

So today I was getting lubricant where it goes. No pix of that. But I also got the clutch cable installed. I'd heard tales of the pivot pin backing out in my vintage of bike, causing an ear on the back of the trans to crack, so I figured I'd try a bolt in that space. I'd feel better about this whole procedure if I'd been able to drop the bolt in from above, but the trans output is in the way. What I found was a M8 X 60mm bolt with a full 8mm unthreaded shank and a couple locknuts:

I still have a dust cover coming, so I'll have to take it apart again when that arrives. I'll probably add a spring washer between the ears when I do so, if I stick with this plan. Clutch adjustment was almost perfect just throwing it all together. I took out a wee spot of freeplay and I'm very happy with the result.

And yes, I really wanna take out that casting part line and polish that clutch arm. Trying......to.....leave....it.....the....heck.... .alone.......

Along with that dust cover, the mufflers are coming! Tiny chance I'll ride it next weekend, more likely the weekend after.
Old 06-10-2012, 04:12 PM   #191
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

Yeah, not much done today. Rode the mountain bike in the morning, hiked mit the fam later and then fixed the string trimmer and mowed the lawn. When I had a few minutes in the sun I got the eyelids on the instruments:

All day, all weekend in fact, loud pipes have been saving lives out there on 101. I'm sorely tempted to get my gear on and get out there. My little 750 can't be nearly as loud as all those Screaming Eagles, no?
Old 06-13-2012, 09:59 PM   #192
coastranger
Gnarly Adventurer

wow, very impressed

did I miss something, are you using any kind of compound or stuff with your buffer
or better stilll a step by step on what you use

coastranger screwed with this post 06-14-2012 at 07:01 AM
coastranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:27 AM   #193
WRC51
Gnarly Adventurer

Hey melville, you said in an earlier post "that your local airhead guy had gotten a battery for me". Would that be the shop just up and across the street from the Eureka Motorsports?? Thanks
WRC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:55 AM   #194
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRC51 View Post
Hey melville, you said in an earlier post "that your local airhead guy had gotten a battery for me". Would that be the shop just up and across the street from the Eureka Motorsports?? Thanks
Yeah, that's the one. He said, "Let me go check my warehouse" and went next door to Interstate Battery.

It's also where I saw that white/white R60/5 that you NEED to buy.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:03 AM   #195
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastranger View Post
wow, very impressed

did I miss something, are you using any kind of compound or stuff with your buffer
or better stilll a step by step on what you use

I had a lot of help on my learning curve from members gspd and Ken in Oklahoma over to Boxerworks. Here's what I ended up doing, for the most part--

Alu parts:

1. The first step was removing casting flash, mold part lines, forging part lines and pits from the parts. This usually involved 80 to 120 grit sandpaper on rubber or wood blocks. More involved stuff could go as burly as a bastard file or a Dremel sanding drum. The file was very quick to remove stuff, but if it slips or clogs up, the clean-up of the gouges left in the part could take QUITE SOME TIME.

2. Then came wetsanding, starting with 180 grit, and moving up to 220, 320, 400, and 600. If I were building a show bike, I'd have done 1500 and 2500 grit stages as well.

3. On to the buffer. Mine is an 8" buffer/grinder from my local Chinese Tool Store. As the motor is just 4.8A IIRC it's not hugely powerful and has probably kept me from overheating the parts. I could only do so much before I had to give the motor a breather and let it get back up to speed. Step one with the buffer was a 'cut' buff with a stitched cotton buff and 'grey' compound.

4. Nest step with the buffer was a loose leaf cotton buff with reddish jeweler's rouge.

5. Then a wipedown with a microfiber cloth to get the stray compound off the part.

Chrome or SS parts:

1. A good cleaning/degreasing

2. On the buffer with the stitched cotton buff and 'grey' compound. The used SS headers spent a LOT of time at this stage getting the heat discoloration off. I was working long enough and flinging off enough dust that I wore a respirator to polish the headers.

3. And a microfiber wipedown/cleaning.

Just like paint, most of the work is in the prep. The lower triple, for one, was on the order of 8 hours of filing and sanding, but then less than 1/2 hour for the two stages of buffing.

You may want to do something to preserve your polish on the alu parts. I've heard of clearcoat paint or carnauba wax being applied to keep the surfaces from oxidation, and I may try that at the next polish touch-up. I live within sight of the ocean and a couple years after doing all this some of the alu looks a bit cloudy.