Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2012, 05:30 AM   #211
blaine.hale
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,990
Whacha doin' with the old bars? I dig those stretched curves more than my current ones.
1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
2013 Husqvarna Terra TR650
blaine.hale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:34 AM   #212
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine.hale View Post
Whacha doin' with the old bars? I dig those stretched curves more than my current ones.
They were going into the flea market when I got the bike back together. PM to claim dibs.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 03:22 PM   #213
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

Got the bars and mirrors on:

Had a great Moto Commute Friday going the slightly longer way. When I got to town I dropped it off with my local Airhead guy. He checked it over to make sure I'd made no grievous errors. He also fixed the center valve cover stud on the right head:

He says I did a good job. Rode it home, and looking forward to next Moto Friday!
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:50 PM   #214
richarddacat
helmet full of Blues

Oddometer: 3,202
Where ya get those mirrors??

Nice work and build thread btw.
BONA-WHO ??
richarddacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:45 AM   #215
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by richarddacat View Post
Where ya get those mirrors??

Nice work and build thread btw.
Got them from the local Airhead guy. They were branded "Ken Sean" IIRC. Cheap enough not to hurt WHEN I ding them up.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:58 PM   #216
darklight79
scaffold builder

Oddometer: 419
hey local airheads need ta say hey sometime drop me a line .. i ride everyday nice work getting the bike renewed ..... i have boxes and a rack that should fit stu

darklight79 screwed with this post 07-22-2012 at 06:07 PM
darklight79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:28 PM   #217
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Oddometer: 4,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by melville View Post
Got them from the local Airhead guy. They were branded "Ken Sean" IIRC. Cheap enough not to hurt WHEN I ding them up.
Just be carefull when they start spinning around. I've already had to replace one because it just ....fell apart......going down the road and that was the end...of... that...................................
Luckily they are dirt cheap and look REALLY cool.
A cheap copy of the old English "Stadium" mirrors. But in Black.

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:30 PM   #218
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

Found out today that gas pumps have intercoms. Who knew? Was at the gas station at 0530 filling Ernst when the pump said, "Say, that's a classic innit?"

Went on a ride that put a sustained load (6% grade, 5 miles) on the motor right after that which revealed a potentially revoltin' development. More will be known on Sunday.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:11 AM   #219
darklight79
scaffold builder

Oddometer: 419
Hope everythings ok ... drop me a line if ya need a beer . they are tuff engines ... transmissons...... well thats a rant

darklight79 screwed with this post 08-05-2012 at 01:17 AM
darklight79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:36 PM   #220
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

Checked the valves first because it's so easy. Just fine, the intakes were the tiniest bit tight.

Fired it up and it started just fine. Got my timing strobe and found that idle timing was at TDC, not the factory approved spot.

Did the dance necessary to pull the front cover and found that the point gap had closed up--reset the point gap, reset the timing, fired it up and watched the timing marks again. It took a couple iterations, but now the timing and gap are right on.

Went for a ride and all is forgiven! Running smoother than ever now. Got a thumbs-up from some old guy on a Gold Wing passing me on 101.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:11 AM   #221
cycleman2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 497
Often if the engine starts to backfiring and has no get up & go, its because the points have closed up. One always looks for the more complicated things but it thankfully turns out to be something fairly simple.

Godo job on the bike.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:20 PM   #222
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

Got a show coming up in a couple weeks and got started detailing the bike, refreshing the polish on the wheels. Also mounted the side panels:

All set for Moto Commute Friday!
Old 08-22-2012, 02:53 PM   #223
5nChange
Confirmed abuser

Oddometer: 8
Describe zee method

Mel,

Could you describe the scotchbrite / alumacast paint process a little better? I have some Very Fine SB pads and some alumacast'ish stuff from my FLAPS. I sprayed the pad and scrubbed away but I kept on getting swirl marks as the stuff dried. I think I may be putting too much in the pad ... but I wanted to go ahead and see if you couldn't give me the cliff notes.

BTW. I blame you for 4 hours spent on the sander/polisher to get a nice caliper. I'd post a pic, but it wouldn't be quite as nice as yours. Oh, but I also have dual ATEs...so atleast 4 more hours to go.
5nChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:41 AM   #224
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5nChange View Post
Mel,

Could you describe the scotchbrite / alumacast paint process a little better? I have some Very Fine SB pads and some alumacast'ish stuff from my FLAPS. I sprayed the pad and scrubbed away but I kept on getting swirl marks as the stuff dried. I think I may be putting too much in the pad ... but I wanted to go ahead and see if you couldn't give me the cliff notes.

BTW. I blame you for 4 hours spent on the sander/polisher to get a nice caliper. I'd post a pic, but it wouldn't be quite as nice as yours. Oh, but I also have dual ATEs...so atleast 4 more hours to go.
Sorry to be so long in replying--I saw your post in the but was not in a position to reply the last coupla weeks. I, too, got swirl marks. And the key to avoiding them is to use a bit less paint, just as you suspected. Or, you can go over it with a dry SB pad and "erase" the marks. The swirl marks are sitting on top of the AL, and you only want paint in the pits. This way, when the AL corrodes again, you can just brush it off with the SB, as all the corrosion will be on the high spots. The paint in the pits keeps the corrosion from happening there, where it's a lot harder to clean off.

I myself am looking casually for a DD front end upgrade for this winter or next, so I do expect more polishing in my future.

It is important to keep in mind the context in which your blinged parts will be seen. That caliper (brake pedal, shifter, rear brake arm) will be down by your ankle, so it needs to look good from five feet. All these parts will be sitting by grainy castings (fork leg, transmission, final drive), even those that are SB painted. This perspective can be lost when you are checking your reflection to see if you've got something stuck in your teeth between passes on the buffer.

melville screwed with this post 08-27-2012 at 10:34 AM Reason: Beauty and economy of language
Old 08-26-2012, 10:26 AM   #225
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

Yes, 'twas a good commute. Somehow went 60 miles to cover a distance of 10 from home to office. Then a couple weeks away, returning just in time for the vintage moto show. Bike at show:

Soon after I arrived, a guy who saw me ride in said "Nice bike--looks like a lotta work." I said "Thanks!" and continued on checking out the show. I saw these:

And thought, "I really want to meet the guy who built those!" For those who don't recognize them, these are early 80s Viragos, repurposed. As it turns out, it was the guy who had spoken to me earlier. We hung out for a while forming a mutual admiration society. One difference--he took about 5 months to do both of those where I took 5 years for one bike. Further on, he revealed himself to be a former VW guy and an OG member of DKP back in the 70s.

Lunch was available at the show:

Shredded chicken, guac 'n' sour cream. I asked for HOT salsa but I don't think I got it as I am entirely too pale (pallid even) for them to believe I really want it. Not bad, nonetheless.

The show ended well:

Now I can turn off the paint 'n' polish paranoia and actually RIDE the thing and let it get another 35 years of patina. Thanks to you all for following along!