Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2010, 10:00 AM   #16
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,230
What color are ya gonna paint it? Ernge? (that's a southern joke, btw)

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:21 PM   #17
Hawk Medicine
Coyote's Brother

Oddometer: 3,303
Well, you've done it now....

You start this stuff and the maintenance never ends!

Matter of fact, that lower triple clamp was the first part that I polished on my project bike but I'll warn you right now, those parts scratch very easily and the first time you take your bike out to the coast on a foggy day or to the Airheads overnight camp out, you may come back wanting to commit suicide. If I was informed correctly, the semi-shiny parts on our Airheads were clear anodized after manufacture and thats why they tend to remain fairly clean for decades without maintenance and thats also why they don't polish up so easily.

Salt air LOVES polished aluminum and you'll arrive home needing to clean and hand polish every shiny aluminum part on the bike. No kidding... I'm not going to say not to do it but just be aware that you're creating a bike that'll need regular maintenance to stay looking nice and multiple coats of Carnuba Wax are your friend.

Believe me.... This is exactly how some very pretty bikes end up becoming garage queens!

Hate rots the pocket that carries it.

Hawk Medicine screwed with this post 06-25-2010 at 02:41 PM
Hawk Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:05 PM   #18
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by mymindsok
Well, you've done it now....

You start this stuff and the maintenance never ends!

Matter of fact, that lower triple clamp was the first part that I polished on my project bike but I'll warn you right now, those parts scratch very easily and the first time you take your bike out to the coast on a foggy day or to the Airheads overnight camp out, you may come back wanting to commit suicide. If I was informed correctly, the semi-shiny parts on our Airheads were clear anodized after manufacture and thats why they tend to remain fairly clean for decades without maintenance and thats also why they don't polish up so easily.

Salt air LOVES polished aluminum and you'll arrive home needing to clean and hand polish every shiny aluminum part on the bike. No kidding... I'm not going to say not to do it but just be aware that you're creating a bike that'll need regular maintenance to stay looking nice and multiple coats of Carnuba Wax are your friend.

Believe me.... This is exactly how some very pretty bikes end up becoming garage queens!

Hi Ken! You've seen some of this before--kindly no spoilers please til I get ADV caught up.

Can I ride to the coast if I can see the ocean from my house? Or am I already there?

If any of these bits were ano, it's long gone. Most bicycle parts have a clear ano and I've had to work them a lot harder on the buffer when I've polished them than any of these Airhead parts.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 04:52 PM   #19
Hawk Medicine
Coyote's Brother

Oddometer: 3,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by melville
Hi Ken! You've seen some of this before--kindly no spoilers please til I get ADV caught up.

Can I ride to the coast if I can see the ocean from my house? Or am I already there?

If any of these bits were ano, it's long gone. Most bicycle parts have a clear ano and I've had to work them a lot harder on the buffer when I've polished them than any of these Airhead parts.
No. If you can see the ocean from your house, you cannot ride to the coast. In fact, if you live that close to the ocean, you're not even allowed to look in tghat direction!

Are you already there? Uh.. No! You're in a computer right now and I'll bet that you dream about vacationing in NYC. Right?

Seriously... Maybe you can tell me something...

Please take a look at your rear brake lever. Is there evidence of that being anodized? The last time I tried to polish one of those, polishing it went so hard that I simply gave up and replace it with another stock one. Whats up with that?

Also, the anodizing on our high-end bike looks a lot more like a coating than the anodizing that I was used to looking at when I had a modeling shop attached to anodizing plant.

Could it be that the bike parts are coated to protect the anodizing? The colors are known to fade...

I'm curious...!

PS: I'm going to pass your way in a couple of seeks while riding to the BMW National Rally in Oregon. Maybe I could stop by for a look-see going up or back.

Hate rots the pocket that carries it.
Hawk Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 06:00 PM   #20
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymindsok
No. If you can see the ocean from your house, you cannot ride to the coast. In fact, if you live that close to the ocean, you're not even allowed to look in tghat direction!

Are you already there? Uh.. No! You're in a computer right now and I'll bet that you dream about vacationing in NYC. Right?

Seriously... Maybe you can tell me something...

Please take a look at your rear brake lever. Is there evidence of that being anodized? The last time I tried to polish one of those, polishing it went so hard that I simply gave up and replace it with another stock one. Whats up with that?

Also, the anodizing on our high-end bike looks a lot more like a coating than the anodizing that I was used to looking at when I had a modeling shop attached to anodizing plant.

Could it be that the bike parts are coated to protect the anodizing? The colors are known to fade...

I'm curious...!

PS: I'm going to pass your way in a couple of seeks while riding to the BMW National Rally in Oregon. Maybe I could stop by for a look-see going up or back.
I can see the ocean from this computer. No desire to go to NYC, but I do like to get to SF once in a while. PM a few days ahead and we'll see about a meet.

The brake pedal took a buncha filing on the parting line and then a buncha 80 and 120 grit to get the file marks out but it sure didn't seem ano.

More fetish pics:

The Westy fills slowly:

And I've recently started on the hand controls:

Levers and throttle cover to be shiny, perches to be black.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:03 PM   #21
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil
What color are ya gonna paint it? Ernge? (that's a southern joke, btw)
It's going to be a metallic red called (honoring the Commodores) Brick House. Picked it out yesterday. Close to the red on the flamed bicycle but without the fu$$ of a multistage candy color.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:25 PM   #22
matman1972
Lost in the woods.

Oddometer: 714
Niiiice. that shiny aluminum is purtiful. I leave mine natural and call it "patina". Sounds better than "lazy"
matman1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 06:34 PM   #23
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,664
Quote:

Awfully nice work, melville.

I'm just gonna have to console myself that you're not likely to put 25k miles a year on it.
Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 06:47 PM   #24
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by matman1972
Niiiice. that shiny aluminum is purtiful. I leave mine natural and call it "patina". Sounds better than "lazy"

...hafta remember that one....
Old 06-25-2010, 07:00 PM   #25
drhach
gorillamanufacturing.com

Oddometer: 2,214
Don't listen to these nattering naybobs. I say polish it. Take a picture when you're done and then just keep it clean. You won't be sorry and if you ever do want to bring it back up to snuff, it'll be easier the second time.
drhach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:28 PM   #26
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,929
Quote:
You don't know the half of the fetish yet!

A little introduction to who I am--I spent my 20s working as a bike mechanic in Seattle. With the ensuing poverty that entailed, we had to become self reliant chez melville as regards vehicle and home repair and took on some fairly outrageous projects. We learned that no matter how much you pay someone, they're never going to care as much as we do about the project.
Oh yea when and where did you work.
I was a messenger up there in my 20's.

Good looking build.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:35 AM   #27
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by squish
Oh yea when and where did you work.
I was a messenger up there in my 20's.

Good looking build.
Elliott Bay, mostly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornce
I'm just gonna have to console myself that you're not likely to put 25k miles a year on it.
You're probably right. My cages do less than 10K a year.

Another passel of process--crusty hubs:

Scotchbrite applied on the left:

And both looking much better:

After getting this crack and its companion on the other side welded:

And a buncha stuff Scotchbrite/steel wool/sanded:

It's off to the powdercoaters:

Where I didn't think I did that much business (and I'm certainly not that good looking) but the woman who takes the stuff in knows my name. A few weeks later I get it back:

Put some of the big bits back together:

And the small bits go to the back of the Westy. The spokes hint at what's next (and yes, I ran the spokes on the buffer):

Thanks for watching!
Old 06-26-2010, 08:16 AM   #28
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,664
This is gonna be good.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 08:38 AM   #29
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,457
I'm in, looking good.

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 04:02 PM   #30
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

OK then popcorn munchers.

Got the hubs together (new bearings throughout) with heat and a press, then started in to lacing them up. Bicycle people will recognize me as a "Schwinn Method" wheelbuilder:

In the stand for initial tensioning. That's a Park bicycle truing stand--using the black knob on the bottom it will compress the top hats enough to true it using the hub bearings:

The truing was done with a dial indicator and I've misplaced the pix of that setup. Once tensioned and trued I had some questions about the bearing adjustment, something not covered in any depth in the Haynes manual. Thankfully, Duane wrote all about it and put it on the InterWebs and I did a bench check of the adjustment. Axle clamped in soft jaws, spacers to simulate FD:

And torqued going up 5 ft-lbs. at a time and checking for play at each level:

Found the rear a wee spot loose with a 7.05mm wedding band. Found the front TIGHT with a 6.65mm WB. I'm going to redo the front hub to make sure the outers are fully seated, and if still tight I'll try the 7.05mm WB to figure out what I need. For the rear, I'm going to do a tiny bit of 400 grit sanding to the existing WB to snug it up after I get the front squared away.