Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2010, 07:10 PM   #46
bikecat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,082
There's no easy way to get between the fins, is there?

Good job!
bikecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 05:43 PM   #47
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,328
Continuing in my scattered approach, doing what I can while waiting for parts and the painter. Fork Fun! It just barely fits my bicycle repair stand:

I've seen special tools folks have made to get the bottom nut off an Airhead fork, but I have an offset Craftsman box wrench (it's my VW and BMW valve adjustment wrench) that does the job no grinder required:

The internals are now external:

A bit of wear on the stanchion, but reusable:

Checking them on my precision Kombi measurement fixture--straight to within .001":

The right slider cleaned up with Simple Green, brake cleaner, ScotchBrite, and steel wool:

And the stanchions and damper rods reassembled and a test fit into the triple clamps:

More to come on the motor and brakes when parts arrive this week.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 07:25 PM   #48
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

So got some time to work on the bike today around walking the dogs, planting a tree, and trying for FTF on a geocache with the fam (unfortunately, we were STF by about an hour). Found my plate of glass and started checking the fork stanchions in the lower triple after removing the upper triple, using the Randy Glass (how apropos) method. They needed no adjustment in the Y plane--the glass sat flat. I even tried shoving a .0015" feeler blade in, and it stopped at the same place all the way from top to bottom, like so:

After that I had a false start trying to make a fixture for my dial indicator out of wood (one word--DON'T) to check the X axis and will be getting some AL angle tomorrow to continue with that project.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:08 AM   #49
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

So a happy box from Hucky arrived Monday and I made some more progress.

Finished assembling the caliper:

Got the MC rebuilt--remember, it looked like this:

Took it apart:

Wirebrushed it:

Painted it:

And reassembled--the barrel adjuster was wirebrushed and painted, and the clamp cleaned and run on the buffer:

And a little tease--painter finished yesterday:

Old 07-22-2010, 06:55 AM   #50
drhach
gorillamanufacturing.com

Oddometer: 2,185
You're doing wonderful work. Can I make suggestion that might avoid ruining that really nice paint? Be sure that the MC doesn't leak before you install it. The first time I redid mine, it still leaked.
drhach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 07:33 AM   #51
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

Doing bits here and there until I can get a day to detail and reseal the motor. PO had made some electrical mods, and not just for the fairing. If he was adding something on, he'd strip the wire he was adding to and solder the new thing on. As I got it, it had two filament bulbs in the taillights:

And this, which I have no idea what it was for (no evidence of a trailer hitch):

So between that and the missing ones due to the fairing I felt better getting four complete pods to put it all back together:

A little cleaning and rewiring and things are so much better:

Yes, the license plate bolts are SS, and yes, I ran the buffer on them before installation.

And now to rewiring the headlight bucket. There are more connections in there than in an entire 6V Beetle! Thank you BMW for the color coded board. Here's the main harness in, switches and lights to come:

And where it stands now:

Old 07-25-2010, 12:29 PM   #52
matman1972
Lost in the woods.

Oddometer: 713
plug was most likely for lights on a set of cases. I used a trailer hookup on another bike I had to run lights and turn signals on a set of givi boxes.
matman1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 02:52 PM   #53
blaine.hale
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,901
Funny, my r90 came with the exact same hook up wired out of the tail light. No sign of a trailer hitch or marks from a sidecar. I never figured out what he used to hook up. Maybe it has panniers with extra brake lights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by melville

And this, which I have no idea what it was for (no evidence of a trailer hitch):

1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
2013 Husqvarna Terra TR650
blaine.hale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:26 PM   #54
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by matman1972
plug was most likely for lights on a set of cases. I used a trailer hookup on another bike I had to run lights and turn signals on a set of givi boxes.
Boy I dunno--came with a normal (and beat) set of Krausers. Today's progress was getting the rest of the wiring into the headlight bucket and detailing the main case and the timing chain cover. Motor as I got it:

After cleaning with Simple Green, brake cleaner, and a ScotchBrite rubdown:

And after the paint applied with a softer ScotchBrite, with front and starter covers added to check the match:

I'm OK with the match at 20 feet, a little leery at five feet, and I don't like it at one foot. Trying to keep my perspective. Cylinders will be coming off to reseal their bases and the PR tubes and I may redo some of it while they're off.

I had to replace and correct this:

And apparently the only way to do it now is to replace the breather dome along with the hose. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the PO had updated from the turkey gobbler to the reed valve breather:

This week the sump comes off for cleaning, detailing and a reseal and a look at the insides, particularly the pickup.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:10 PM   #55
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

Good thing I pulled the sump! The pickup was extended to match the deep sump (good thing) but the extension was loose on the cast in pickup tube (bad thing). Chance it was sucking some air! Hopefully this pic will make sense--the loose bolt sits proud of the extension. The pickup itself kept it from backing out all the way:

The extension was made of softish alu and the hex headed bolts had made impressions in their countersinks. I'll be spotfacing those countersinks, putting a proper washer in, and Loctiting the bejeezus out of it on reassembly.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:48 PM   #56
Hawk Medicine
Coyote's Brother

Oddometer: 3,303
You know, you just dodged a big fat bullet, right?

Hate rots the pocket that carries it.
Hawk Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 06:34 PM   #57
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymindsok
You know, you just dodged a big fat bullet, right?
PHEW! Yes I did! If I'd been able to detail the sump while still attached, I wouldna caught that. Today's fun was detailing the lower bits. The filter cover as I got it, with some casting flaws. That will never do:

After some 80 grit block sanding action:

And painted and installed on the case:

The sump as it was:

And the sump detailed:

I'll be pulling the top end in the next coupla days.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:18 PM   #58
Sibbo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 349

Please excuse hopeless thread drift !
Here's another one .19 years no maintence ,just oil on the chain .Tires from throw outs ....I 've never bought a tire and only one tube ,multiple thousands of miles to work and back ! Oh yeah , I bought the bar ends and new foam grips 5 years ago .

The car behind is my ancient MB 240 D .

Sibbo screwed with this post 07-31-2010 at 08:27 PM
Sibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 12:55 AM   #59
Hawk Medicine
Coyote's Brother

Oddometer: 3,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibbo

Here's another one .19 years no maintence ,just oil on the chain .Tires from throw outs ....I 've never bought a tire and only one tube ,multiple thousands of miles to work and back ! Oh yeah , I bought the bar ends and new foam grips 5 years ago .

God... What a cheapscate...!

Hate rots the pocket that carries it.
Hawk Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 09:38 AM   #60
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibbo

Please excuse hopeless thread drift !

The car behind is my ancient MB 240 D .
Good on ya there! When I worked in a bike shop, I never bought tires for anything I didn't race, either. When I got REALLY cheap, I became the grand master of tire booting, putting little snippets of sew-up casing inside perfectly good Contis and Michelins that just happened to have big slices in them.