Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2010, 09:47 AM   #61
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,325
This morning's anti-progress. I was having trouble detailing the case between and above the PR tubes, so I took the top end off for better access:

No not really--I had other issues, particularly on the left side. Motor sat for a couple years at BDC with a valve open on the left side, leading to this:

While it ran OK last summer, and compression improved dramatically in the 10 miles I ran it, it was still not right. I'm hoping a good honing and rering will straighten it out. I'm not oppo$ed to going first oversize, either. I'll see what the machinist says.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 06:02 PM   #62
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

And the machinist ran the hone through the cylinder and pronounced it CRAP. We're going to bore it out.

I brought the sump extension to my local airhead guy and he spot faced the holes that had gotten funked up from running loose. I've just gotta make a coupla gaskets and put it back together mit Loctite and the sump can go back on.

Meanwhile, progress continues. I made a fixture for my dial indicator to check parallelosity of the fork stanchions, and in so doing I became acquainted with a previously unknown to me local resource--the Boiler Works!

I needed a short piece of 2" AL angle thick enough that I could tap it M8 through the bend and I was not finding it at the hardware store nor at the machinist. The machinist sent me to Boiler Works, which was not far from home. They had buttloads of all sorts of metal bits and hooked me up with this remnant for less than $3:

I'm now looking for projects around the house that will require a trip to Boiler Works just so I can walk around the BIG room full o' metal some more.

All drilled and tapped and indicator installed:

And checking the fork. Top:

And bottom:

I'm pretty happy with <.001, and it was still straight in the plate glass plane. Someday I'll be able to start with the sliders and front wheel.

After that it was time to put the top of the fork together. I was a little surprised to find that BMW relied on the chassis ground all the way out to the front turnsignals. I had to check continuity at every step before I believed it, and I had to remove the PC on the TS stalks to get continuity in the pods.

Once that was together it was time to monkey with the headlight bucket and the main harness. Success! I'll probably install the battery with a coupla jumpers to check the lights and whatnot:

But there is trouble. I don't have a good picture of where the wires connect on the starter relay because they were all the same color (coppery green) when it came apart due to the leaky MC. When I cleaned the relay I was distressed to find that there were no DIN numbers on the bottom. Can any one tell me what goes where on this thing?

Last pic is as if you removed the screws that hold it to the frame and tilted it up to see it. Any help much appreciated and I'll fax you a beer.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
Old 08-14-2010, 06:23 PM   #63
blaine.hale
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,899

Original size:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3502/...2a560f92_o.jpg

Let me know if it's a later model and I'll get that scanned or just reference it to see what changed.
1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
2013 Husqvarna Terra TR650
blaine.hale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 06:38 PM   #64
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine.hale

Original size:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3502/...2a560f92_o.jpg

Let me know if it's a later model and I'll get that scanned or just reference it to see what changed.
Yeah, I've got that same diagram in my Haynes--trouble is I'm not sure which numbers on the relay in the diagram go to which prongs on the relay in my hand. I can play with running 12V through it and seeing what makes clicks and whatnot but that's really just risking an electrical fire under 6 gallons of gasoline
Old 08-14-2010, 08:51 PM   #65
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,436
Maybe put a brass wire wheel on a drill and spent some time cleaning it the numbers may come to surface, and it wont hurt those spade connectors a bit (if your gentle)

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 07:00 PM   #66
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,112
I ended up with the same "starter relay wiring I.D." problem on my R100S - /6 BMW build...ended up taking the tin cover off the starter relay and identified the individual componants by comparing to the wiring diagram of the relay....I had a slightly better detailed wiring diagram of the relay than seen in this thread. In any event it was sorted out.....

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 08:18 PM   #67
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhacker
I ended up with the same "starter relay wiring I.D." problem on my R100S - /6 BMW build...ended up taking the tin cover off the starter relay and identified the individual componants by comparing to the wiring diagram of the relay....I had a slightly better detailed wiring diagram of the relay than seen in this thread. In any event it was sorted out.....
This helped a lot (thanks to G Ryals!):

http://www.airheads.org/content/view/159/98/

It includes a schematic showing physical layout of terminals and colors going to it.

Meanwhile, I got my lever perches back from PC, and after foodling about with them, got them installed:

And or course, once installed, I had to check the fit:

I do have enough bits in process, here and elsewhere, to make it a roller, but not everything has made it home yet. Mrs. melville has offered to push me around on the dolly, but she'll require me to make MC noises to do so.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:59 PM   #68
matman1972
Lost in the woods.

Oddometer: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by melville

Go speed racer!!
Estamos copados
Confusion to our enemies.Zaphod for president!!
matman1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 11:32 PM   #69
east high
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 942
Quote:

Someone needs to photoshop this.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:40 AM   #70
Jasper ST4

Oddometer: n/a
The wheels are too small. It's gonna handle like crap on the freeway.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:52 PM   #71
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,112
Quote:
This helped a lot (thanks to G Ryals!):

http://www.airheads.org/content/view/159/98/

It includes a schematic showing physical layout of terminals and colors going to it.

Meanwhile, I got my lever perches back from PC, and after foodling about with them, got them installed:

And or course, once installed, I had to check the fit:

I do have enough bits in process, here and elsewhere, to make it a roller, but not everything has made it home yet. Mrs. melville has offered to push me around on the dolly, but she'll require me to make MC noises to do so.

The "Tenny's" look fast just sittin there!

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 07:49 PM   #72
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhacker
The "Tenny's" look fast just sittin there!
Yeah, I was gonna get the rest of my ATGATT, but my young photog didn't have time for that much Daddy silliness. Impatient little rascal.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:13 PM   #73
RLieu67
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Hmmm. For some reason I was immediately reminded of this:

Live boldly and you will be aided by mighty spirits--Goethe
RLieu67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 02:14 PM   #74
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper ST4
The wheels are too small. It's gonna handle like crap on the freeway.
and beware the front end fork dive
Old 08-23-2010, 06:51 PM   #75
east high
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 942