Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2010, 08:29 PM   #76
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by east high
We (Mrs. melville and the boys also) bow to you, sir! Well played! ROTFLMAO!
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 08:11 PM   #77
matman1972
Lost in the woods.

Oddometer: 711
doncha know, that in order for Chuck taylors to be approved safety equipment for airheads, they have to have racing stripes.

Confusion to our enemies.Zaphod for president!!
matman1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 08:41 PM   #78
noman
just another bike nut

Oddometer: 777
a build thread

hello!

am closely following your build as i just bought back my 76 r75/6 and it needed a thorough cleaning and mechanical refresh after sitting (with a full tank of gas, thank god). am done and it's smooth as silk, my daily ride once again.

congrats on your progress so far, very cool. wanted to thank you for some hints on gen'l assy, and also inspiration for my winter projects -- painting the headlight bucket (am red/green color blind) and suspension upgrades. nice work, man.
bobp
noman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 07:27 PM   #79
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by matman1972
doncha know, that in order for Chuck taylors to be approved safety equipment for airheads, they have to have racing stripes.
I do have a pair mit stripes somewhere. Someone gave me a custom shoe gift card and I made the mistake of picking the colors with my then 6-year old. Ended up looking like clown shoes......

Today's goodtimes. Got to cleaning/refinishing the transmission. Started out like so:

After a couple hours of Simple Green, Brakleen, and ScotchBrite both without and with paint I've got this:

I also cleaned and regreased the throwout mechanism which runs through the input shaft. Then I made a flywheel lock:

I was annoyed to find that BMW used M8 X 1 fine thread for the clutch bolts. I thought only us bicycle people had to deal with that sorta thing. How long a bolt do I need to release the pressure safely?
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
Old 08-29-2010, 05:48 PM   #80
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

Found out why the clutch was so abrupt. These two are stuck together--not coming apart:

Now clearly they were capable of motion relative to each other last summer, or I wouldna been able to ride it the little bit that I did, but the clutch did engage with a loud "squartch" sound.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:28 AM   #81
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by melville
I do have a pair mit stripes somewhere. Someone gave me a custom shoe gift card and I made the mistake of picking the colors with my then 6-year old. Ended up looking like clown shoes......

Your (then) 6 year old has great taste! Those shoes show class! and your tranny clean'in is first class.

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 11:45 AM   #82
matman1972
Lost in the woods.

Oddometer: 711
Quote:
Holy cow, that is how I ended up with the stripe on mine. I didn't realize you had to select every little section of the shoe for it to get colored. Was trying to make a set of blue shoes.
Confusion to our enemies.Zaphod for president!!
matman1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:01 PM   #83
schneller
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91

Surely you are not going to just leave that ugly casting line running horizontally just above the gear shift lever, are you?

Just kidding. Excellent rebuild story!!!
schneller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:17 PM   #84
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by schneller

Surely you are not going to just leave that ugly casting line running horizontally just above the gear shift lever, are you?

Just kidding. Excellent rebuild story!!!
That casting line disturbs me intensely but dealing with something similar on the brake caliper cost me a couple days of my life that I won't get back. I'm happy that it will be hiding behind the intake tube.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:47 PM   #85
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

OK! Today's fun--I cleaned and disassembled the heads a little while ago, and today I lightly lapped the valves and reassembled the heads. Pic of possibly controversial reassembly step:

And the head reassembled:

And then to the valve covers. THe bike had been down on the right side once upon a time:

So I didn't worry the finish too much and just cleaned and rattlecanned them:

I should get the cylinders back from the machinist this week after payday (1st OS--the bike will be a R76/6) and get going on the motor reassembly next weekend.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:50 PM   #86
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer: 7,409
I'm very impressed that you got the gearbox that clean with just scotchbrite and cleaners.

Makes my arm tired just looking at it.
datchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 07:46 PM   #87
Hawk Medicine
Coyote's Brother

Oddometer: 3,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by datchew
I'm very impressed that you got the gearbox that clean with just scotchbrite and cleaners. SNIP!
Don't forget the silver paint. Thats the secret ingredient!

Hate rots the pocket that carries it.
Hawk Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:55 AM   #88
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

Weekend fun! Got my cylinders Friday from the machinist. Did some mellow stuff Saturday (scored Blood, Sweat, and Tears 3 on vinyl for $1!), and then a little bike work. Made a pushrod seal drift:

Then cleaned the right side valvetrain:

And cleaned a piston, checked ring end gaps, and got it all in the ring squeezer for assembly on Sunday:

So the rains stopped Sunday afternoon and I got the right side assembled today--high tech rocker play adjuster:

But I'm having the paranoia and will probably pull it apart before I go further, as I can't remember whether or not I fully seated the circlips.
Old 09-25-2010, 06:09 PM   #89
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

I had in fact seated the circlip. Whew. Got the left side on today:

I also put two quarts of break-in oil in it. I'm going to have to check the specs for the dipstick, as two full quarts in a clean sump, not yet circulated, barely shows on the 1 litre mark of the dipstick. I think my PO installed the deep sump and kept the shallow sump DS. I'm sure there's some happy place where I'll have both more oil available AND more air volume than the stock setup.

In other good news, properly sized (4.00-18 ) Michelins for the rear have made it to my continent and mine should come next week. My Airhead guy has my FD and a fork leg, and he's making me a wedding band. When he gets that stuff done, I should be able to make it a roller.

I have the battery charging and if I get the chance I'm going to turn the motor over and check for cranking oil pressure and circulation tomorrow, and play with the lights.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:56 PM   #90
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I put two quarts of break-in oil in it. I'm going to have to check the specs for the dipstick, as two full quarts in a clean sump, not yet circulated, barely shows on the 1 litre mark of the dipstick. I think my PO installed the deep sump and kept the shallow sump DS. I'm sure there's some happy place where I'll have both more oil available AND more air volume than the stock setup.

I have the battery charging and if I get the chance I'm going to turn the motor over and check for cranking oil pressure and circulation tomorrow, and play with the lights.
I realize now that my deep sump is an aftermarket piece (MAC??) and that factory fill amounts are not going to apply. I cranked it over ghetto style (held a screwdriver across the terminals on the starter) with the plugs out and the valve covers off until I got a good ooze out all the rockers, like so:

Then I let it sit a coupla days, checked the level, and got no reading on the dipstick. Added a quart, now up to three quarts in it, and it's reading just over halfway between "full" and "add."

I did the ghetto starter trick because I'm not quite getting the love from the starter relay. It was dodgy when I first fired up the bike a year ago and I don't think it's improved much with my cleaning. I'm also chasing other electrical demons in the instrument pod. I have power to the pod plug, and the related switches seem to be doing the right things, but I'm not getting illumination of the instrument and idiot lights. I'm playing with the pod and a multimeter checking for continuity in my spare time.