Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2010, 03:57 AM   #91
fishkens
Further...

Oddometer: 5,147
Wow! Great thread. I love the red that you picked. Did you pick that color because it coordinates so well with the blue/gold CA license plate?

Very nice all around.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:50 AM   #92
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishkens
Wow! Great thread. I love the red that you picked. Did you pick that color because it coordinates so well with the blue/gold CA license plate?

Very nice all around.
Thanks!

The red goes back to my bike racing days. One year I had a candy red Olmo and a baby blue Benotto and my 3 year old brother told me "red is faster" and he was right. Since then the official bike colors in my family have been red w/yellow.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:18 AM   #93
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,564
Love the build up. Nice attention to detail.

Others will probably chime in, but I'm under the impression that this..

..is a good way to get some leaky pushrod tubes.

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:17 AM   #94
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni
Love the build up. Nice attention to detail.

Others will probably chime in, but I'm under the impression that this..

..is a good way to get some leaky pushrod tubes.
This pic is the test fit. I only used it after the barrels and heads were on to seat the PR tube seals.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:24 PM   #95
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

I've got some parts back from my local airhead guy, who greeted me with the ADV salute the last time I went to his shop. Now I'm doing this with a live studio audience. He made a new wedding band, as the one I had was .4mm too narrow for the new bearings, repaired the bungled driveshaft drain plug threads, and got the stuck pinch bolt out of the RH fork slider. With all that, I have enough stuff on hand to make it a roller!

Yesterday I checked the rear hub bearing adjustment. It was a bit of a Goldilocks experience--with the new wedding band, it was (just the tiniest bit) too tight; with a shim (thanks Duane!), it was too loose; and with a wee bit of wetsanding on the band it was just right.

Today was probably the last day warm enough to work with paint for a while, so I worked on detailing the sliders and final drive in between geocaching with Mrs. melville and taking the younger boy to the skatepark.

Final drive before:

After cleaning and ScotchBriting:

After paint applied, sprayed on a soft ScotchBrite and rubbed in:

Sliders were cleaned months ago, so these pics show
1. cleaned

2. paint on one

3. paint on both

I've checked the sliders on the stanchions one by one and they move freely but I've got to get the bike raised from where it is:

If I'm to get them both on at the same time and the front wheel installed following Randy Glass' procedure.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:33 AM   #96
Big John Sny
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466

Something about airheads and old VW's go together.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:19 PM   #97
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big John Sny
Something about airheads and old VW's go together.
Kinda like Harleys and pickups.
Old 11-26-2010, 04:41 PM   #98
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

Nothing happening too quickly here. It's been raining and cold, and I just survived 36 hours of in-laws ('twas a good time), and now I'm back to it. Continuing with the fork, I slid a board under the front wheels of the dolly to get the front end up enough to install both sliders simultaneously and had at it. First I shoved both sliders up all the way, then installed the axle:

Then let them slide down to check for binding:

I had some issues with the vent holes on the right stanchion. They needed some deburring to get everything to run smoothly.

Then it was time to check the fork brace/fender mount. It was, after 35 years of abuse and sandblasting and powdercoating, a couple mm too wide for the space available. Had to give it a wee squeeze:

And then things were great:

My bottom caps were rusty. While they cleaned up nicely with a wire brush, they soon showed surface rust. I rebrushed them and after installing them in the sliders:

I painted them with the caliper paint that I didn't use on the caliper:

With the weather we've been having, they'll be dry sometime next spring. I may sneak them into a warm part of the house when Mrs. melville isn't looking.
Old 11-27-2010, 05:58 PM   #99
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

Well, Mrs. melville kiboshed the "bring it inside" idea. What I did instead was stick it in the Kombi with a space heater on full blast for a couple hours. Paint has cured nicely. Got an hour between raindrops today and got some fork assembly done. Seals in, boots on, and sliders secured to damper rods. Looking like so:

Next up is filling it with oil and reassembling the topside, then the front wheel goes on and I get to make the brake work. This should get me to the end of the year......
Old 11-28-2010, 07:28 PM   #100
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oh hell yeah! Big progress today, and a possible setback.

Oil in the fork, springs in, caps on and torqued:

7 weight oil. That is not a marital aid, it's the cover to the syringe. $2 at the vet!:

Front wheel on. Here's where I had the possible setback--the right slider had the old pinch bolt stuck in it. I left it with my local airhead guy and he did his best removing it, but the new bolt felt a bit soft before I got it to 10 ft-lbs. I'm going to come back to it in a bit, when I can put the bike on the centerstand:

Final drive on, loosely until the rear wheel is in place:

Rear wheel on, just like it had always been there:

And now, off the dolly for the first time in months:

Coming fun to include getting the #*&@&%$ springs on the stands, putting the rear brake pedal and linkage in place, checking the right slider pinch bolt, and (if pinch bolt successful) getting the front brake hydraulicized. If all that happens, I'm going to put the seat on and have the boys push me around the driveway while I make MC noises. Really.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:39 AM   #101
bmwblake
upside down parker

Oddometer: 3,261
i've been enjoying your build. i find a seal puller is a great help when getting the springs on the side and center stand. i use a cheap one from harbor freight. it has a nice hook to hold the spring and a long handle for pulling power. good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melville

Coming fun to include getting the #*&@&%$ springs on the stands, putting the rear brake pedal and linkage in place, checking the right slider pinch bolt, and (if pinch bolt successful) getting the front brake hydraulicized. If all that happens, I'm going to put the seat on and have the boys push me around the driveway while I make MC noises. Really.
bmwblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 03:37 PM   #102
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

Indeed the right slider pinch bolt is stripped. Set my wee little torque wrench to 60 in-lbs and it just kept turning. I've got to take it apart and either replace it or figure out some way to Timesert it or possibly set it up with a stepped stud or bolt inserted from above and nut.

In other news, I got the )(*$&%@)# springs on the stands, not as tough as it coulda been, as I used the 'penny' method.

First, bent the spring and shoved pennies I borrowed from the younger boy's piggy bank in the open coils:

Then the spring goes on the bike:

Then I ran the stand through one stowed/deployed cycle:

Then the younger boy picked up the pennies.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:47 PM   #103
fishkens
Further...

Oddometer: 5,147
Vroom!
Old 12-12-2010, 05:16 PM   #104
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

Anti-progress today. Had to remove the right fork slider to see about a thread repair in case the aliens don't beam me down a dual-disc front end:

And the offending lack o' threads:

Progress that I did make was invisible today--I removed the rear wheel and cleaned up the left side clamp bore on the swingarm so the axle installs and removes smoothly and lubed the splines with that fabulous Honda Moly 60. Loving that moly smell!
Old 01-22-2011, 05:44 PM   #105
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

Dang! First action in more than a month. It was a great day in Stonerville, the sun was out, it was in the 60s, and I had enough stuff to make the motorbike a roller again:

Fork is back together, now with a nut on the right pinch bolt. I also got the rear brake pedal on and hooked up. I had my 9 year old give me a good hearty push so I could test the brake:

Ooh, it's smooth! Yes, I'm making MC noises. And it stops!

Coming soon, the front brake. We'll probably push it up the hill to test that one out. With ATGATT.