ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2014, 09:45 PM   #1
gotdurt OP
Flatulent Fellow

Oddometer: 168
Some Arizona trail questions (Young/Cibecue area)

I'll be bringing some guys up from Texas in April for a week of camping off the bikes, and was thinking about running the route through some of the trails in the Young/ Cibecue area, then up to the rim. I've ridden Cherry Creek road and explored a little of that area, as well as around Salt River Canyon and Cibecue but never got around to connecting the areas (ie: via the reservation roads 29, 12, 30 and 33) before I moved back to Texas 10 years ago.

So, as for forest roads, I'd like to hear if FR202 between Cherry Crk Rd (FR203) and 288 north of Young is worth riding, as well as "Hop Canyon" and "Cottonwood Canyon" roads between 60 and FR300.

The others are on the Fort Apache Res; 29 between Salt River Canyon and Cherry Crk Rd, 30 between 29 and 12, and 33 from 12 to the rim road FR300.

I was looking at a rec map for the Ft Apache Res, and it shows the rim area to be "closed"... I don't know yet if it is just closed to rec use (camping, fishing, etc) , or if it is closed to vehicular traffic as well...

Also open to other route suggestions as well. We'll be on mid-size DS bikes (DR650 for me, KTMs for the others), and don't mind some challenges, as long as they are reasonable for loaded bikes (we'll also be riding the coke oven trail and Crown King, if you need a gauge).

blah blah blah Tapatalk
gotdurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:26 AM   #2
HoosierTrailmaster
Just an Old Grizzly

Oddometer: 2,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotdurt View Post
I'll be bringing some guys up from Texas in April for a week of camping off the bikes, and was thinking about running the route through some of the trails in the Young/ Cibecue area, then up to the rim. I've ridden Cherry Creek road and explored a little of that area, as well as around Salt River Canyon and Cibecue but never got around to connecting the areas (ie: via the reservation roads 29, 12, 30 and 33) before I moved back to Texas 10 years ago.

So, as for forest roads, I'd like to hear if FR202 between Cherry Crk Rd (FR203) and 288 north of Young is worth riding, as well as "Hop Canyon" and "Cottonwood Canyon" roads between 60 and FR300.

The others are on the Fort Apache Res; 29 between Salt River Canyon and Cherry Crk Rd, 30 between 29 and 12, and 33 from 12 to the rim road FR300.

I was looking at a rec map for the Ft Apache Res, and it shows the rim area to be "closed"... I don't know yet if it is just closed to rec use (camping, fishing, etc) , or if it is closed to vehicular traffic as well...

Also open to other route suggestions as well. We'll be on mid-size DS bikes (DR650 for me, KTMs for the others), and don't mind some challenges, as long as they are reasonable for loaded bikes (we'll also be riding the coke oven trail and Crown King, if you need a gauge).

blah blah blah Tapatalk
I laid out a route from Tucson to the Grand Canyon and back almost all dirt that incorporated 202 and 203 from Cherry Creek. We were on HP2's a 990 ADV and a 950 SE with all our gear so obviously not too tough. We connected to 300 and at the end of that cut the corner to Munds Park. 202 and 203 are rougher than Cherry Creek and there are a few steep sections. 300 is super graded but some of the best views in the state.

HoosierTrailmaster screwed with this post 02-03-2014 at 09:07 AM
HoosierTrailmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:52 AM   #3
BIG-E
AKA; Mongo-E

Oddometer: 2,020
Quote:
as long as they are reasonable for loaded bikes (we'll also be riding the coke oven trail and Crown King, if you need a gauge).

blah blah blah Tapatalk
The Coke Ovens on a loaded bike?

I never thought of that ride as Big Bike friendly, Back by noon, little lone on a loaded 6fiddy.

You guys Rock-On! Gripit-N-Ripit!

Be sure to post up a ride report when you do this, or better yet maybe a few of us could tag along?

I have been thru the Ovens on a empty 990 and I wouldn't want to do it again.

Have fun Brother, Eric.

"If my Technique Improves, so will my riding"!
BIG-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:15 AM   #4
gotdurt OP
Flatulent Fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierTrailmaster View Post
I laid out a route from Tucson to the Grand Canyon and back almost all dirt that incorporated 202 and 203 from Cherry Creek. We were on HP2's a 990 ADV and a 950 SE with all our gear so obviously not too tough. We connected to 300 and at the end of that cut the corned to Munds Park. 202 and 203 are rougher than Cherry Creek and there are a few steep sections. 300 is super graded but some of the best views in the state.
How is 202 compared to 203 scenery-wise? I've ridden/driven 203 (aka Cherry Creek Rd) full length 288-to-288 a few times, as well as Rim Rd 300, just trying to make a new/fun way to connect the two. Judging from the topo, 202 could be a little flatter than 203/Cherry Crk, thus maybe less scenic? 203 is pretty nice traveling N-S, especially once you get in the Devil's Chasm area.

The idea right now is to run up 288 to 203, south on 203, then back up either 202 or tribal 29/30/33 to 300/Rim Rd. The tribal roads are preferred, judging from the maps, but we may not be able to do that if the the Chedeski area of the res is closed. We could cut back over from 30 to 202, via 12...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG-E View Post
The Coke Ovens on a loaded bike?

I never thought of that ride as Big Bike friendly, Back by noon, little lone on a loaded 6fiddy.

You guys Rock-On! Gripit-N-Ripit!

Be sure to post up a ride report when you do this, or better yet maybe a few of us could tag along?

I have been thru the Ovens on a empty 990 and I wouldn't want to do it again.

Have fun Brother, Eric.
Yep, we've already done it once, although it was unseasonably hot in early may and one of the guys turned out to be a little green offroad and was challenged to say the least (didn't help that his KLR was a bit of a handful for him)... 7 years later he wants to show it who's boss on his KTM 525...

gotdurt screwed with this post 02-03-2014 at 09:28 AM
Old 02-03-2014, 08:04 PM   #5
Montek
Eternal Noob

Oddometer: 967
be careful

watch yer ass on the res. they do not like motorcycles on the res. No matter who you talk to, bikes seem to get confiscated for little things like failure to dim head light during daylight, crossing the center of the road-dirt road, real shitty things like that. and once the get confiscated, the seem to disappear for good. just sayin!! the apache res is a 3rd world nation and they like it that way-means they get to make the rules to suit the situation. even if you have permission in writing to be there, they still take your bikes and there ain't nuttin you can do about it.

Its a nasty ass place
Monte
Old 02-04-2014, 08:32 AM   #6
gotdurt OP
Flatulent Fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montek View Post
watch yer ass on the res. they do not like motorcycles on the res. No matter who you talk to, bikes seem to get confiscated for little things like failure to dim head light during daylight, crossing the center of the road-dirt road, real shitty things like that. and once the get confiscated, the seem to disappear for good. just sayin!! the apache res is a 3rd world nation and they like it that way-means they get to make the rules to suit the situation. even if you have permission in writing to be there, they still take your bikes and there ain't nuttin you can do about it.

Its a nasty ass place
Monte
I've heard that. I was never hassled, but I usually tried to be on my best behavior. That said, their patrol vehicle better be a trophy truck if they hope to catch me
Old 02-04-2014, 07:30 PM   #7
Mil T
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 621
Quote:
I've heard that. I was never hassled, but I usually tried to be on my best behavior. That said, their patrol vehicle better be a trophy truck if they hope to catch me
You can't out run a bullet. Take heed with what Montek said. He's not BSing and the Apaches over there don't f--k around. You'd be best to stay on 202/203 and take the road through Haigler Creek over to 260. From there you can either head east up to the 300 west or 300 east.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:04 PM   #8
gotdurt OP
Flatulent Fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mil T View Post
You can't out run a bullet. Take heed with what Montek said. He's not BSing and the Apaches over there don't f--k around. You'd be best to stay on 202/203 and take the road through Haigler Creek over to 260. From there you can either head east up to the 300 west or 300 east.
A bullet for trivial "offenses"? 3rd world or not, I doubt they're that stupid.

Regardless, we probably will run up 202, is it worth the ride? From Google Earth it looks like it could be kind of flat and lame, basically just following the powerlines...
Old 02-04-2014, 08:26 PM   #9
Montek
Eternal Noob

Oddometer: 967
crazy

[QUOTE=gotdurt;23393129]A bullet for trivial "offenses"? 3rd world or not, I doubt they're that stupid.

or a radio-hard to outrun radio's-and, its a little crazy out there. meth cooking everywhere!!! just so you know some of the severity-well, never mind--unless you live here, you wouldn't believe me anyway.
I have several friends who work at the white river government funded hospital-its a hard pill to take-the shit they see on a daily basis is way way out of the park. the big city trauma centers don't see the shit that goes down on the apache res on a daily basis.
nuff said-its a fucked up place!!!! no other res even comes close.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:46 PM   #10
Mil T
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 621
It's mostly the San Carlos reservation of Apache which is where Salt River Valley etc. is at and most of the roads you want to use. I have the same route you have laid out and I'll never get to do it because of the crazy things that happen down there. My son measures flooring for Home Depot out of Showlo. Now he's no push over by any means and he has to go down to Fort Apache and that area. He's had guns pulled on him twice by Indians wanting to know why the white boy is there. Mind you my son is big with tattoos and is bald. Not a mean guy at all but can take care of himself. He had to do some quick talking and showed them the work request and his home depot credentials. Trivial?? These Indians don't need an excuse at all so why do you think trivial is even a criteria at all?

Ride the 202 and the 203 and enjoy it. They are fun roads. when you get to Young, make sure you stop at the Antlers for food. It's located on the 288 on the west end of the Valley in Young. Very good food.
Enjoy.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:12 PM   #11
azgsgirl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Regardless, we probably will run up 202, is it worth the ride? From Google Earth it looks like it could be kind of flat and lame, basically just following the powerlines...
FR202 isn't that "flat and lame." I thought it would be, too, when I looked at it on Google Earth. Some of it is, but when you get up toward the 54, the scenery is nice, and then it gets into the trees. It is not signed very well, just so you know. My riding partner and I took Cherry Creek Rd. to 202, to 54, and then 54 into Young, then took the 288 back to where we started. It was just a day ride. There were areas I thought were a little challenging on the 54, but I am not a super technical rider.

Have fun!

- Jo
Old 02-06-2014, 09:51 AM   #12
HoosierTrailmaster
Just an Old Grizzly

Oddometer: 2,510
I can confirm 202 and 203 are not lame. There are some loose climbs and switchbacks. Lame is Cherry Creek Road. Oh, by the way...you can miss the 202 turn quite easily. It is on the other side of a little hill and as we did, buzz right by it. If you hit the creek crossing/ranch you have gone too far. Although just past that is the cliff dwellings and that area is beautiful...it is also a lot tougher road than Cherry Creek.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:31 AM   #13
gotdurt OP
Flatulent Fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by azgsgirl View Post
FR202 isn't that "flat and lame." I thought it would be, too, when I looked at it on Google Earth. Some of it is, but when you get up toward the 54, the scenery is nice, and then it gets into the trees. It is not signed very well, just so you know. My riding partner and I took Cherry Creek Rd. to 202, to 54, and then 54 into Young, then took the 288 back to where we started. It was just a day ride. There were areas I thought were a little challenging on the 54, but I am not a super technical rider.

Have fun!

- Jo
Thanks, yea, I was trying to figure out a way to work in 54; doesn't really work, unless I skip 202 and go north on 203 instead... which we might do (203 is a must).

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierTrailmaster View Post
I can confirm 202 and 203 are not lame. There are some loose climbs and switchbacks. Lame is Cherry Creek Road. Oh, by the way...you can miss the 202 turn quite easily. It is on the other side of a little hill and as we did, buzz right by it. If you hit the creek crossing/ranch you have gone too far. Although just past that is the cliff dwellings and that area is beautiful...it is also a lot tougher road than Cherry Creek.
Yea, I know 203/Cherry Creek road very well, spent a lot of time camping and hiking in the area, riding/driving the full length in both directions several times. The idea for the trip was to travel 203 north to south, since that takes better advantage of the views, then head back north on 202 to the rim... I just never got around to 202 when I lived there; too enamored by the 203 side of the creek.

I'm sure 202 is fine on its own, I'm just concerned that following 203, 202 might seem anticlimactic, and that that time might be better applied elsewhere on the trip.

If I skip 202, we'd probably travel north on 203 instead, then take 54 over to the remainder of 202, then continue north...

...which brings me to my next question:
Have any of you tried 102A (heads north off of 288, right about where 202 ends at 288), 102, 128, 187, 411, 411C?
Then on the other side of 288; 109/738 (depends on the map), 188, 34 (or 534, depending on the map), and 33?
Old 02-06-2014, 10:16 PM   #14
azgsgirl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
I agree, 203 is awesome. We did it last fall and the leaves were so beautiful. It is hard to beat 203. :-)

- Jo
Old 03-24-2014, 07:22 PM   #15
gotdurt OP
Flatulent Fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by azgsgirl View Post
I agree, 203 is awesome. We did it last fall and the leaves were so beautiful. It is hard to beat 203. :-)

- Jo
LOL, well, small world, Jo, I heard we may be parking our truck at your house