ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2014, 04:21 PM   #1
SR1 OP
I'm a Seoul Man...

Oddometer: 4,268
What's going on along the TAT route to cause re-routes?

Hey guys, I just received this: http://www.transamtrail.com/tat-travel-advisory/

What's going on in Nevada to cause this? Is there a place I can get some details?
SR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 09:06 PM   #2
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Oddometer: 6,463
I just got that as well.
Don't know what's going on, but if the bridges are really out, I think I'm going to find another route!
I think I'm going to break off from the trail and go to Las Vegas instead, then, assuming it's not too cold, cut across Death Valley into California, and go North through Sequoia National Park, Sierra National Park, Stanislous Forest, Eldorado Forest, Tahoe Forest, Plumas Forest , Lassen Forest, and Modoc Forest, and then into Oregon and rejoin the trail.
Of course, there's no guarantee all of those roads will be open, either.
When are you heading out there?
Old 06-22-2014, 12:39 AM   #3
SR1 OP
I'm a Seoul Man...

Vegas would be mighty far south, too far to divert I think. The message said Sam's working on a fix, hopefully it's out before I get there. I'm starting Aug 15 and will probably be out west by early Sep.
Old 06-22-2014, 07:59 PM   #4
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,888
If you take a look at my Statewide Motorized Trail System for Nevada on GPSXchange.com you can find a bypass to any section that is closed.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:59 PM   #5
SR1 OP
I'm a Seoul Man...

That's comforting. I really don't want to have to route huge go-around. I'm sure I'm not the only one, so I'm watching all the ride reports to see what guys do.

Do you have a link?

SR1 screwed with this post 06-22-2014 at 11:06 PM
Old 06-22-2014, 11:24 PM   #6
oldxr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,062
Too cold in Death Valley?There is a reason its called Death Valley.Its probably 100+f out there 6 months out of the year.In the summer months Furnace Creek(a very fitting name) gets 120+ in the afternoon.Us locals have the luxury of riding all winter-thats where we go in the winter.Between the desert and the sierras the locals have somewhere to ride all year long.The Tat trail through Nevada is in the northern 1/2 of the state-I wouldnt go any farther south of that to avoid heat.In Nevada it can be 100 degrees at 4 pm and raining that night.Nevada is kind of like Baja only without all the foriegn country hassles.But due to all the mining activity you can get cell phone coverage sometimes where you dont expect it.Do not expect cell phone coverage in the west-only around cities.If you are a hard core dual sport avoid pavement biker Countdown's smts tracks are your best bet .Actually the west had a very dry winter-about %40 of normal rainfall.Thats why forest fires are a problem.In California you need a permit to start a campfire in the sierras-or some places they simply are not allowed.A reroute for a forest fire can happen any time -thats part of the fun.If you get stuck somewhere just find another road going in your direction.Not the tat trail-but close by.
oldxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 12:28 AM   #7
SR1 OP
I'm a Seoul Man...

Added time, unknown terrain, and heat are all the reasons I'd like to stick as close as possible to the TAT route. I've combed that area thoroughly in basecamp and on google earth...I really don't want to have to go through thtat process again and "find my own way" an awful lot.

As much as it is a real adventure, my boss still expects me to be on a plane back to Korea at some point. The luxury of going in circles to find my way doesn't exist. :(

Edit: What I mean is, a re-route as big as Vegas, Sequoia, etc... That would take more route planning than I have time for at work, or on the bike. Whatever is solved for these trouble sections in NV and OR, I am hoping they are 1) still dirt and fun and 2) not significantly off the original trail.

SR1 screwed with this post 06-23-2014 at 02:04 AM
Old 06-23-2014, 07:27 AM   #8
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,725
We had to do some rerouting in the NV and Oregon when we did the western TAT a few years ago.

In Oregon one was a fire and one was a landslide. We went to a local forest service office and bought maps and figured out a new way without much trouble.

We did a similar thing in Nevada. We went to a tourist information office and got some nice maps.

If you are worried about this, the safest thing would be to just take paved backroads around the obstacles. They are more likely to be open and they show up on most maps. You probably won't have to go more than 10 miles out of your way.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 03:18 PM   #9
SR1 OP
I'm a Seoul Man...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post
If you are worried about this, the safest thing would be to just take paved backroads around the obstacles.
Let's not go to that extreme!

How does one find these tourist offices like you went to in Nevada?

Said another way, I enjoy a good challenge and adventure, but I can't suffer a week's worth of re-routes (cumulative) because I'm shooting from the hip. Gotta have a reasonable plan to some degree :)

SR1 screwed with this post 06-23-2014 at 04:22 PM
Old 06-23-2014, 06:29 PM   #10
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR1 View Post
That's comforting. I really don't want to have to route huge go-around. I'm sure I'm not the only one, so I'm watching all the ride reports to see what guys do.

Do you have a link?
http://www.gpsxchange.com/

The problem in NV is gas. A short bypass is not a problem but if the intended section is already max gas range then the bypass must be to another gas not just back to the trail. All of my tracks go gas to gas. I have tracks posted for TAT but they are not named that way just gas name to gas name.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:04 AM   #11
SR1 OP
I'm a Seoul Man...

Indeed. One of my first thoughts when I got the travel advisory was "well I guess I'll be carrying more gas." Those gas stations are faaaaaaaaaaaar and few between out there.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:38 AM   #12
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR1 View Post
Let's not go to that extreme!

How does one find these tourist offices like you went to in Nevada?

Said another way, I enjoy a good challenge and adventure, but I can't suffer a week's worth of re-routes (cumulative) because I'm shooting from the hip. Gotta have a reasonable plan to some degree :)

Specifically we decided to skip Denio because we couldn't get a motel room. So we rode the hiway from Battle Mountain to Winnemucca. We found a good tourist office on the main drag in Winnemucca and bought a map that showed lots of dirt roads and found a good way up to Lake City?.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:22 PM   #13
SR1 OP
I'm a Seoul Man...

Nice!
Old 06-28-2014, 07:33 AM   #14
SR1 OP
I'm a Seoul Man...

I stayed up late and called Sam. He is on his way out there but at this point doesn't have a full grasp of the changes required. Guys on the trail now will probably know more than he does until he's able to find a fix. He's hoping for a quick fix but it's unknown for now. He said plan for a couple of extra days in Oregon to get around all the closed roads, but maybe by the time I get there, that will be settled down.

I told him I'd call him mid-July and he said that would be good timing. I'll get back with you guys as soon as I talk to him.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:09 PM   #15
SR1 OP
I'm a Seoul Man...

All,
Now that we have some ongoing dialogue on this topic, please reply on this thread instead: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...8#post24507058

But we can keep this one alive just to get more info from the Western guys occasionally.