ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2010, 06:56 PM   #151
Mr B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 474
Nothing spectacular, just getting stuck under the bike, punctured radiator...and damaged pride, but I am used that.... however I did make the 8:00pm reservation in SFO for diner with my wife.....

Of course with several glasses of wine I was feeling no pain..till this morning

Leonardo da Vinci[/FONT]
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 07:31 PM   #152
Memnok
Fly high, go far.

Oddometer: 347
Yeeehaw! You gotta tell us how that went down.

----------------------------------
Good government is no substitute for self-government. Mahatma Gandhi

That government is best which governs least, because its people discipline themselves. - Thomas Jefferson
Memnok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:06 AM   #153
powerman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 564
I was there, but I only saw the aftermath. I'll let Mr B tell his own story. I hope the ribs heal soon.
powerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 11:04 AM   #154
Mr B
Gnarly Adventurer

Apparently Zdeno Chara (NHL Boston Bruins) was up there Saturday looking for some ice time....
Actually I just miss judged how far a burned/fallen tree was protruding into the trail, I was more focused on the tree on the ground. It caught me under my arm and put me down, in no uncertain terms.
Foot trapped, at least the boots saved my foot/ leg...Powerman saved my ass..thanks again...Maybe if I had to I could have gotten out from under the bike, but I was glad when he road up.... Did not know I really hurt anything until I sneezed later, between Mariposa and Merced, almost fell of the bike..So the ribs will heal no problem, only hurts when I sneeze or breath hard...Bike must of landed on some tree branch or something the way the stick punctured the radiator..Started overheating on the ride down at Briceburg (switchbacks) we stopped half way up the hill and I noticed the wood sticking out of the radiator...added a bottle of water, kept overheating and just when I was going to pull over and call it, the temp leveled out and cooled off to the point that it quit knocking and what not. So made it all the way back to Merced...No to come up with the cash for the new radiator....

Not much else to tell.....

Operator Error......

Leonardo da Vinci[/FONT]
Old 08-23-2010, 02:28 PM   #155
Memnok
Fly high, go far.

Yikes, you almost got shish kabob'ed! Glad you made it out.

That government is best which governs least, because its people discipline themselves. - Thomas Jefferson
Old 08-23-2010, 08:59 PM   #156
Lasherman
Ah Sh!t!

Oddometer: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B
Apparently Zdeno Chara (NHL Boston Bruins) was up there Saturday looking for some ice time....
Actually I just miss judged how far a burned/fallen tree was protruding into the trail, I was more focused on the tree on the ground. It caught me under my arm and put me down, in no uncertain terms.
Foot trapped, at least the boots saved my foot/ leg...Powerman saved my ass..thanks again...Maybe if I had to I could have gotten out from under the bike, but I was glad when he road up.... Did not know I really hurt anything until I sneezed later, between Mariposa and Merced, almost fell of the bike..So the ribs will heal no problem, only hurts when I sneeze or breath hard...Bike must of landed on some tree branch or something the way the stick punctured the radiator..Started overheating on the ride down at Briceburg (switchbacks) we stopped half way up the hill and I noticed the wood sticking out of the radiator...added a bottle of water, kept overheating and just when I was going to pull over and call it, the temp leveled out and cooled off to the point that it quit knocking and what not. So made it all the way back to Merced...No to come up with the cash for the new radiator....

Not much else to tell.....

Operator Error......
Holy Crap man! Makes my dented shin look like nothing!
Lasherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:18 PM   #157
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,406
Hope that radiator is not off what I think it is.$$$$$
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 05:01 PM   #158
Mr B
Gnarly Adventurer

Holy Crap

Leonardo da Vinci[/FONT]
Old 08-29-2010, 09:09 AM   #159
powerman
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Holy Crap

I can't see, what is it?
Old 08-29-2010, 10:13 AM   #160
Mr B
Gnarly Adventurer

go to you tube and punch in ERZBERGRODEO. It is an enduro race in Austria every year, they race at an old open pit mine and what these guys can do with a dirt bike, well i am impressed....

Leonardo da Vinci[/FONT]
Old 08-29-2010, 03:41 PM   #161
Memnok
Fly high, go far.

Went on another ride into the Briceburg area yesterday. This time Gary "the clock doc" came along. I guess technically, I went along with him, since he left a note on my truck asking if I wanted to go for a ride. We left Turlock at about 8:30am in what was a freak cold spell. I had to brake out with the jacket and liner so I didn't freeze my butt off on the ride up to Briceburg.

Both Gary and I changed over to larger front sprockets for the pavement, which made the long stretches of asphalt much easier on the way. We headed out through Snelling and Hornitos, like last time. But his time I wanted to try a small road a bit closer to Hwy 140 than Old Toll. But as luck would have it, there was a gate. We figured we were close enough to 140 that it would be faster than backtracking to Old Toll, so we jumped on the highway and headed into Mariposa where we topped off the tanks.

I didn't take many photos, the scenery was much like the last ride, but I did grab a few.

Here is a link to the Google Maps view of the trip.

The ride:

Forrest of burned trees:

On the Garmin showed this as a through rout, but it looks like the BLM guys have used a bunch of downed trees to make a closure:

We came across this group parked on one of the smaller trails. They were prospecting for gold, and were nice enough to move their vehicles over a bit so we could squeeze by.

Gary found out that there is no replacing a good set of knobby tires when he slipped into a deep rut.

In his his defense, it really is one helluva steep hill, as you can see:

A brief stop along Old Coulterville Road:

After a couple really fun trails we ended up on a road that got narrower and narrower. I was behind Gary at this point, and I kept thingking he was going to turn back, but he kept going. As you can see, nothing with 4 wheels has been here, ever.

When we finally shouldered our way to the end of the trail we found a nice 6 to 7 foot drop onto the roadway. Photos never seem to capture how steep these things are. I'd say this was a good 70 to 80 degree incline at the steepest point.

After pushing through the trees we were both feeling a bit trail worn and headed to Greely Hill for a soda. It was getting late, so we topped off our tanks and headed down to Coulterville and home via Hwy 132.

I made a small video, but be nice, it's hard to ride one handed holding a camera.

Memnok screwed with this post 08-29-2010 at 06:11 PM
Old 08-29-2010, 06:26 PM   #162
powerman
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
go to you tube and punch in ERZBERGRODEO. It is an enduro race in Austria every year, they race at an old open pit mine and what these guys can do with a dirt bike, well i am impressed....
I just couldn't see what you posted, I'm familiar with Erzberg
Old 08-29-2010, 07:07 PM   #163
Mr B
Gnarly Adventurer

Sorry

I was just very impressed with their abilities...amazing...
So how you been, get a riding in this weekend? The weather was great!

Leonardo da Vinci[/FONT]
Old 08-29-2010, 09:00 PM   #164
powerman
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Sorry

I was just very impressed with their abilities...amazing...
So how you been, get a riding in this weekend? The weather was great!
I rode street today. How's the ribs? Radiator?
Old 08-29-2010, 09:23 PM   #165
Mr B
Gnarly Adventurer

Just dont heal as fast at 50 as I used to....Actually rode my Mt bike today and yesterday, on the road, felt good to get out and exercise a bit....The radiator is good, matter of fact it is $580.00 good.....should be here next week. I could not find one used or aftermarket, so i called BMW of fresno and they ordered it and some associated brackets.
Been eying a Yamaha WR250R as a smaller bike for the trails, any comments/experience with that bike? Just thinking.....i also saw the BMW shop in Modesto has a KTM 5XX something for sale, nice price too....hope my wife doesn't see this posting!!!!

Leonardo da Vinci[/FONT]