ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2010, 10:00 PM   #166
Lasherman
Ah Sh!t!

Oddometer: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B
Just dont heal as fast at 50 as I used to....Actually rode my Mt bike today and yesterday, on the road, felt good to get out and exercise a bit....The radiator is good, matter of fact it is $580.00 good.....should be here next week. I could not find one used or aftermarket, so i called BMW of fresno and they ordered it and some associated brackets.
Been eying a Yamaha WR250R as a smaller bike for the trails, any comments/experience with that bike? Just thinking.....i also saw the BMW shop in Modesto has a KTM 5XX something for sale, nice price too....hope my wife doesn't see this posting!!!!
Ya man, you need a beater to go crash.....
Lasherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:16 AM   #167
Memnok
Fly high, go far.

Oddometer: 348
I'll be headed out again this Friday, 9/10/10 if anyone is interested in riding. Was thinking about exploring Bower Cave.

----------------------------------
Good government is no substitute for self-government. Mahatma Gandhi

That government is best which governs least, because its people discipline themselves. - Thomas Jefferson
Memnok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:32 PM   #168
Mr B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
Would like to join you but am taking the bike in for some warranty work..in Fresno....Where are the Bower Caves?

Leonardo da Vinci[/FONT]
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:14 PM   #169
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memnok
I'll be headed out again this Friday, 9/10/10 if anyone is interested in riding. Was thinking about exploring Bower Cave.
I would be interested. If exploring the cave, you mean walking around. FS has it fenced but you can get a key from them.
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:56 AM   #170
powerman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B
Would like to join you but am taking the bike in for some warranty work..in Fresno....Where are the Bower Caves?
We rode right past it. It was between breakfast and the snake stop. I've been past it dozens of times, but never stopped to check it out. We were just talking about it a couple of weeks ago, though. We decided that if we ever did a two up ride that direction we might check it out.
powerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:33 PM   #171
Memnok
Fly high, go far.

I have never been there, but I'm told that it's just off Dogtown Road. We'll need to stop at the Groveland Ranger station to get a permit and the combo to the gate lock, but that shouldn't take long. I do think it's just a stop and look, I believe it is full of water.

So far it sounds like I'm meeting up with David from the DSROMC group someplace in Waterford.

That government is best which governs least, because its people discipline themselves. - Thomas Jefferson
Old 09-08-2010, 05:53 PM   #172
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Ahem!!!
Old 09-08-2010, 07:55 PM   #173
dtp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
Quote:
I have never been there, but I'm told that it's just off Dogtown Road. We'll need to stop at the Groveland Ranger station to get a permit and the combo to the gate lock, but that shouldn't take long. I do think it's just a stop and look, I believe it is full of water.

So far it sounds like I'm meeting up with David from the DSROMC group someplace in Waterford.
If you have the new "Atlas" version of the Stanislaus NF map, and if you don't I highly recommend it, it is on page 43 at the very top of the page right next to the designation for county road 1 which is Greely Hill Rd. The unmarked trail starts directly behind the monument for the Old Coulterville Rd. The locked gate/fence is up the trail and back in the trees a bit.

If you have the fold-out paper map and you know how to read the coords it is in quad R18E T2S 19. If you've ridden the Briceburg to Coulterville route before then you've ridden right past it.

It is pretty much filled with water. It's hard to believe that there used to be a resort built on top of it and down inside the cave itself was a dancing parlor! The resort burned and was never rebuilt. It turned into a youth "party" place and a few folks have actually died falling in the many holes feeding the cave system. That and the fact that local Indian tribes consider it a sacred place have prompted the USFS to fence it off with access allowed only if you get a permit from the Groveland ranger station (it's free.)

Wish you were going on Saturday then maybe I'd tag along. I rode the Briceburg Rd Monday and had a blast. I was pleasantly surprised at how few people I saw for it being a holiday and all.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:35 PM   #174
Memnok
Fly high, go far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm
Ahem!!!
Sorry, not leaving you out, just saying that so far we are meeting in Waterford. So, if we head to the cave, do you want to meet at the ranger station in Groveland? I'm assuming that you are headed out of Sonora?

Old 09-09-2010, 09:49 PM   #175
Lasherman
Ah Sh!t!

Oddometer: 199
Hmmm, I get to go to work...Joy.
Lasherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:54 PM   #176
Memnok
Fly high, go far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm
I would be interested. If exploring the cave, you mean walking around. FS has it fenced but you can get a key from them.

Sending you a PM.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:20 PM   #177
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Sent one back.
Old 09-11-2010, 04:41 PM   #178
Memnok
Fly high, go far.

Quote:
Ride report: Dogtown, Buck Meadows and home in the back of a truck.

Old 09-13-2010, 02:03 PM   #179
Odin69 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Clint, just read your ride report. Glad you made it home safe.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:46 PM   #180
Memnok
Fly high, go far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin69
Clint, just read your ride report. Glad you made it home safe.
Thanks, so am I.