ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2010, 08:27 AM   #241
FoothillRyder
Tiger Cub

Oddometer: 406
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by David13
I like your title. San Andreas to Oakhurst.
Friday the 14th of October I started in Oakhurst, with two compadres, Joe and Franz on their Ducatis. We went thru' the park on 41 north, which was in fine condition, and we waited only a few minutes for the construction delay.
We stopped at Evergreen Lodge for lunch. There they headed toward home thru Coulterville. I went first out to Hetch Hetchy, then back to 120 on Camp Mather road.
Then north on 49, Rawhide Road, San Andreas, Jackson, and stopped for the night in Pioneer.
After some riding on Saturday, including Charleston Road south from Shake Ridge into Volcano, back to Pioneer.
Sunday I made the return trip from Jackson to Oakhurst thru' Yosemite Village. And got some good rain in the 16 miles to Oakhurst from the park exit.
All excellent roads. Sunday on 41 south, wide open. No construction on Sunday, and because of the clouds, few tourists.
And the road is about 98 % complete. Last month I skipped 41 and made the same run on 49 thru Coulterville.
All nice roads up there.
dc
You definitely got that one right DC. I live in Pioneer, and feel blessed that I am surrounded by some of the best motorcycle roads on the planet. Charleston can get a little 'iffy' with that one-lane section blind over-the-hill spot; but Shake Ridge all the way along (from 88 at the north end through to 49 in Sutter Creek) is good. Next time you're up this way, check out Fiddletown Road from Shake Ridge over to Shenandoah Valley. Rams Horn Grade from Shake Ridge down into Volcano is also brilliant (if you *really* love twisties).

- Foothill Ryder
BIR # 47, AMA # 289558
'08 Scrambler <>
'97 Triumph Trophy 3,'73 Triumph T120V,'64 BMW R50/2
FoothillRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:42 AM   #242
Odin69 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
F800

Hey Bruce, I found a link from Wunderlich with some cool things you could do to your F800 if you wanted too?

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/mm5...october#jacare
Old 10-21-2010, 10:11 AM   #243
Mr B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 481
I will check it out, thanks.

So, been getting any rides in lately? Seems like fall is slipping by and I cannot seem to get out of the driveway without something at work coming up...
Was hoping to get out Sunday with the ride from Modesto but weather looks iffy for now and I really dont want to ride in the rain all day..I need to put knobbies back on too..

Leonardo da Vinci[/FONT]
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 05:17 PM   #244
Calikatoom
Norcal Moto Nut

Oddometer: 287
FYI.... Sunday's Donner Train Tunnel Ride has been rescheduled to Sunday Nov 7th!

The weather is not going to be nice to us this Sunday.

Gail
Calikatoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 06:23 PM   #245
yobuddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Thats good news for me, had conflicts this weekend. Should be able to do the new date. I am off to Death Valley next week for a few days of awesome off roading. As long as I survive, I will see you Sunday Nov.7th.
Bob
yobuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:56 AM   #246
dtp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
yeah the rain this weekend is good for us and sucks all in one.

I was going to ride up Del Puerto Canyon and check out the Hare Scramble going on at Frank Raines OHV Park today and tomorrow.

Still might drive up anyways. Might be fun to practice some action photography and watch the race.

That brings up another point... any of you do any enduro racing? I was going to try and enther the Bearfoot Family Enduro next month but I found out I am doing other things that weekend.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:53 AM   #247
Calikatoom
Norcal Moto Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtp
That brings up another point... any of you do any enduro racing? I was going to try and enther the Bearfoot Family Enduro next month but I found out I am doing other things that weekend.

Enduros are great Darren! A family enduro is a great way to start out. The course won't be too technical. For most, an Enduro Race isn't a race at all. It is a well marked trail ride! You have a great bike for it too. Give it a try.

Gail
Old 10-25-2010, 07:49 AM   #248
Odin69 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B
I will check it out, thanks.

So, been getting any rides in lately? Seems like fall is slipping by and I cannot seem to get out of the driveway without something at work coming up...
Was hoping to get out Sunday with the ride from Modesto but weather looks iffy for now and I really dont want to ride in the rain all day..I need to put knobbies back on too..
No, I haven't been able to ride too much myself. I have been working or something else came up. The last ride I did was with my wife back in September. We rode around Greeley Hill/Buck Meadows area.

I should have a couple of weekends off in November? I'll have to wait for the work schedule to come out, so I can't commit to anything right now.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:53 PM   #249
Calikatoom
Norcal Moto Nut

Donner Tunnel Ride _ Saturday Nov 6th!

The Donner Tunnel Ride has been pulled in to SATURDAY Nov 6th!!

Sunday weather calls for snow/rain so we rescheduled the ride.

Mark Girardi of Sierra Nevada Adventures has offered to lead the ride Saturday since I have to work at the dealership.

Ride leaves Cycle Specialties at 7:30AM Saturday. Second meet up is at McDonalds in Auburn at 9:30AM.

Check out www.sierranevadaadventures.com for more details

Old 11-05-2010, 09:53 PM   #250
dtp
Gnarly Adventurer

If anyone is interested, I finally got around to putting up my GPX file of the route to the Bourland Trestle (pics several posts back.) If you have not been there, I highly recommend it. Harsh winter weather is taking its toll on the bridge though so I would guess in a few years there won't be anything left.

http://www.1darren1.com/home/gpx-files-of-adventures

I am going to try and head up there tomorrow morning on my DR350 and take some measurements. I teach geometry and I want to do a real-world example of how I can get a pretty accurate measurement of the height of the trestle. Taking these measurements would be pretty difficult to measure directly but fairly simple to do using some simple high school level math. Hoping I can drag the family along in the Subaru so they can take pics of me taking the measurements and I can show my class how its done. If the education budget wasn't in such a mess, I'd load them all up on a school bus and take them there to do it themselves!

I think I can coax the family into going since my daughter has a fall-colors photography assignment due real soon here. We can kill two birds with one stone.

dtp screwed with this post 11-05-2010 at 10:05 PM
dtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:48 PM   #251
FoothillRyder
Tiger Cub

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtp
If anyone is interested, I finally got around to putting up my GPX file of the route to the Bourland Trestle (pics several posts back.) If you have not been there, I highly recommend it. Harsh winter weather is taking its toll on the bridge though so I would guess in a few years there won't be anything left.

http://www.1darren1.com/home/gpx-files-of-adventures

I am going to try and head up there tomorrow morning on my DR350 and take some measurements. I teach geometry and I want to do a real-world example of how I can get a pretty accurate measurement of the height of the trestle. Taking these measurements would be pretty difficult to measure directly but fairly simple to do using some simple high school level math. Hoping I can drag the family along in the Subaru so they can take pics of me taking the measurements and I can show my class how its done. If the education budget wasn't in such a mess, I'd load them all up on a school bus and take them there to do it themselves!

I think I can coax the family into going since my daughter has a fall-colors photography assignment due real soon here. We can kill two birds with one stone.
Great stuff DTP, thanks for posting these. I live in the foothills above Jackson, and will be making use of these after the weather recovers next spring.

Ryde on!
- FoothillRyder AMA# 289558, BIR #47, COP #001
'97 Trophy 900, '98 Tiger, '03 Speed Triple 955i

My Blog: http://foothillryder.com/
Old 11-06-2010, 11:20 PM   #252
dtp
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoothillRyder
Great stuff DTP, thanks for posting these. I live in the foothills above Jackson, and will be making use of these after the weather recovers next spring.

Ryde on!
Cool I'm glad someone will get some use out of them. My favorite ones are the Yosemite and Bourland Trestle routes. Yosemite is a fun ride and a great destination and the trestle is more about the destination but there are tons of great riding opportunities in that general area... lots to explore.

Jackson is another awesome home-base for riding. I do quite a bit of street-riding in that area. Do you have any gpx files or just general advice for off-road destinations in that area that you'd care to share?
Old 12-01-2010, 10:00 PM   #253
kengray
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
I just bought a vacation cabin in Mi Wuk. I'm looking forward to discovering the local trails. How's the riding conditions now with all the recent snow and in general during the winter months?
I live in Santa Rosa and recently sold KTM 690E and KTM 950SE. I'm now looking at a Suzuki DRZ 400, or hell maybe a snowmobile.
(4) Vertematis 3-Supermotos 1-MX
kengray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:58 AM   #254
Mr B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 481
This threads been might quiet lately. Is anyone still riding? Anyone know where the snow line starts, was wanting to try and ride some this weekend, maybe try some of dtp's routes around Yosemite.

Leonardo da Vinci[/FONT]
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:43 AM   #255
FoothillRyder
Tiger Cub

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtp View Post
Cool I'm glad someone will get some use out of them. My favorite ones are the Yosemite and Bourland Trestle routes. Yosemite is a fun ride and a great destination and the trestle is more about the destination but there are tons of great riding opportunities in that general area... lots to explore.

Jackson is another awesome home-base for riding. I do quite a bit of street-riding in that area. Do you have any gpx files or just general advice for off-road destinations in that area that you'd care to share?
Sorry for the delay lad. I'll work something up for you. Hundreds of miles of twisty roads that are 'off the beaten track' and have very little traffic. Most of it is pretty slippery right now; but come spring it's fantastic.
- FoothillRyder AMA# 289558, BIR #47, COP #001
'97 Trophy 900, '98 Tiger, '03 Speed Triple 955i

My Blog: http://foothillryder.com/