ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2010, 06:39 PM   #31
Mr B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 481
Not to sound Ignorant....but what is a Tweaker? and should I be scared of them, four legs and fur.....or what...

Leonardo da Vinci[/FONT]
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 06:59 PM   #32
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,476
From Columbia to Dorrington it is around 60 miles. Italian Bar comes out above Twain Harte. On a FS map you will see fs n0l that runs parallel to Italian bar east of Juniper. It runs on a ridge above the south fork of the Stanislaus. Both those are basically just gravel roads but the connectors rds between them can vary in difficulty. To get to Beardsley turn off at Spring Gap. The only pavement is a section of the road to Beardsley from 108 and coming out at Dorrington.
I can make it easy or more difficult, depending on your abilities and what you are riding.
Crossing the Dam is easy, going Hells half acre around the east end of the reservoir is more difficult and adds miles. Italian Bar is easy, taking the Grant Ridge cutoff is difficult, but I did it on my f800 last week.
To come out at Avery requires taking a road the skirts big Trees park. The rd is on Sierra Pacific land and was donated to the park last month, so may be blocked off.
You guys have picked the busiest weekend of the year for campers so expect some traffic, but this route skirts most of the campgrounds.
Normally I am a middle of the week rider, but will be happy to share what I know. I live in Columbia, so just as soon meet up with you up here.

Lookout LinnI am the old guy on the 800 that rode Sonora Pass with you last year.
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:20 PM   #33
Lasherman
Ah Sh!t!

Oddometer: 199
I really don't care where we ride, I have a pumped up DR350 so it likes dirt more than pavement....I figure we can discuss it at the HD shop if nothing less, but Arnold does have a really good brewery (Snowshoe!).

And a "TWEAKER" is a methamphetamine addict. They are known by thier skinny appearence, small sores on thier body and face, missing teeth, ability to steal ANYTHING, and can strip copper faster then anything. They usually are like a cockroach, can survive anything, raun when you show up, and generally live in filth.

Lasherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:22 PM   #34
LookOutLinn
Strom Trooper

Oddometer: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm
Lookout LinnI am the old guy on the 800 that rode Sonora Pass with you last year.
Yea, yea yea..... Are you that same "old guy" whose rear tire I was looking at all day long?
LookOutLinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:59 PM   #35
Mr B
Gnarly Adventurer

'sounds like two legs and stustustupid......but having been raised in the hills of North Carolina i was used to the moonshiners and they seemed to not take it kindly to anyone treaspassing....they would tweek their cars to carry "home brew"
but they were basically good folks, I have seen your tweekers here in merced....usually no teeth too.

Leonardo da Vinci[/FONT]
Old 07-01-2010, 09:52 PM   #36
Memnok
Fly high, go far.

Oddometer: 347
Ok, so it sounds like 9am at the Hardly a motorcycle Davidson shop in Jamestown, and who knows what from there? Maybe I'll make up some routs and post them so we have some idea of what/where we want to go. The problem is that sooner or later I always seem to run into a closed gate.

----------------------------------
Good government is no substitute for self-government. Mahatma Gandhi

That government is best which governs least, because its people discipline themselves. - Thomas Jefferson
Memnok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 12:51 AM   #37
Memnok
Fly high, go far.

Ok, I have no idea if any of these roads are gates/locked, but how about something like this. Of course, this is only possible if there is gas in Pinecrest, but the internet says there is a Shell station on Pinecrest Lake Road. You would need about 100 miles of range, but several of us will have extra gas to help i you don't. We would have to ride fast to get all this done in a day.

Edit: For those with a GPS, you can download the Garmin GDB file here. (Right click and "Save Link As")

That government is best which governs least, because its people discipline themselves. - Thomas Jefferson

Memnok screwed with this post 07-02-2010 at 12:58 AM
Old 07-02-2010, 08:06 AM   #38
LookOutLinn
Strom Trooper

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memnok
Ok, I have no idea if any of these roads are gates/locked, but how about something like this.
Wow...epic. This shuld be done.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:36 AM   #39
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,476
That is mighty ambitious. Not familiar with a lot of the roads south of 108, but I see a few problems in the northern route. 4n85 is gated where it runs along the river. A portion of your route runs through Deer creek OHV and will be a chore for bigger bikes, lots of rocks. Hells half acre rd at the end of of the res. may be gated at the river. There was a fire on 4N01 last year and a portion of the road turned into 6" of silt over deep ruts, again a problem for big bikes.
No gas in Pinecrest unless the shell station has reopened, but there is a station at Cold Springs
Too much for me, Happy trails

itsatdm screwed with this post 07-02-2010 at 10:06 AM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 10:59 AM   #40
obadiah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Effin' Work

Guys, I was super excited to be able to tag along (and drink beer with you--okay maybe mostly to drink beer with you) but my work got delayed two days so I'm out. :( I don't know who's big idea it was to start shit on the weekend! Anyway, have fun and please post pics so I can ride vicariously!

Obadiah
Old 07-02-2010, 07:24 PM   #41
Odin69 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Allright, so we are going to meet around 9 am at the Hardly Ableson shop. I was planning on meeting Mr. B in Snelling at the gas station around 8 am, if he is still going?

See you guys in the morning.

Jason.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:28 PM   #42
Lasherman
Ah Sh!t!

Oddometer: 199
Yup, my brothers bike and mine are loaded in the truck, and will be departing Turlock at 0800. We would love to have a local opinion, just show up and show us where the good rides are at. I don't think we really care where we ride as long as we have fun.
Lasherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 09:31 PM   #43
Memnok
Fly high, go far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm
I guess no one wants any feed back from some one who actually lives up here, so have a good time.
Not true at all. I'm glad you told us that that route I posted is blocked by closed gates. My big problem is that I am unfamiliar with the area, so Google maps is my only reference, and they don;t have gate locations/status. If you have some good route info PLEASE share! GPS track logs and GPX files are great, and I'm also more than willing to follow if you are kind enough to lead.

On a side note, for those with GPS, uploading your track logs to http://www.gpsxchange.com with a the name of a nearby city like Sonora, Columbia, or Oakhurst would make a great resource in the future.

Memnok screwed with this post 07-02-2010 at 09:36 PM
Old 07-02-2010, 11:02 PM   #44
Mr B
Gnarly Adventurer

I am still a go, bike is all prepped and ready to go, see you in Snelling Saturday!

Leonardo da Vinci[/FONT]
Old 07-03-2010, 08:04 AM   #45
LookOutLinn
Strom Trooper

Bluhduh Well it's 0803hrs.....

And I'm at work. No ride for me today. Drat!!!!!