ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2012, 01:07 PM   #601
LookOutLinn
Strom Trooper

Oddometer: 257
Question advice needed

Off topic, but you guys are more or less local: My 2007 V-Strom has a fuel leak and it's due for 30,000 mile service. Any suggestions for a local motorcycle shop? I live near Tuolumne City, but I'm willing to travel down the hill for the right mechanic. Thanks.
LookOutLinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:56 PM   #602
Odin69 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaPorte View Post
I am thinking about joining you for the ride tomorrow, if its ok, but not sure what type of ride this will be. I would be coming from the bay area hauling my bike. What is your plan? Mostly pavement with some easy dirt or? If I can make it I will need to decide what bike to bring, A Dualsport or Adventure bike. Don't want to show up with the wrong bike and slow you down.

LaPorte
Hey Laporte, we were just going to take it easy tomorrow, nothing to technical. It's been awhile since I've been up there so, it is going to be kind of an exploration trip. You're welcome to come along. Mr B and I were going to meet at the Chevron station in Jamestown at 9 am.
Old 09-29-2012, 07:47 PM   #603
Corinthiano
Lost & PROUD of it!

Oddometer: 35
Bummer. I have relatives from out of state here and they aren't leaving early enough tomorrow morning for me to make it. I was CRAZY to meet you folks. Next time.

Volvo S80, Porsche 914 w/Subaru WRX engine (Zilla)
BMW R1100RS, BMW R1150R, BMW R65LS, Suzuki DR650SE
Corinthiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:19 PM   #604
Mr B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookOutLinn View Post
Off topic, but you guys are more or less local: My 2007 V-Strom has a fuel leak and it's due for 30,000 mile service. Any suggestions for a local motorcycle shop? I live near Tuolumne City, but I'm willing to travel down the hill for the right mechanic. Thanks.
Sorry, I don't know anyone except the dealers in Modesto or Fresno, I do all my own Maintenance and I have been fortunate to have nothing serious crop up since '09.

Leonardo da Vinci[/FONT]
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:20 PM   #605
Mr B
Gnarly Adventurer

I always call on my uncle Jack for inspiration!!! Usually while rolling with my FAT Tire too...

Leonardo da Vinci[/FONT]
Old 09-29-2012, 08:49 PM   #606
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookOutLinn View Post

D&H Cycles in Modesto is out of business. The closest dealer would be in Merced if they are operating. I understand the former head mechanic for Burkes Honda/Yamaha is doing some work at home. He lives in Toulumne City but I do not know his address or name. We always called him "Cap"

There is a shop that seems to specialize in dirt bikes. They are located on Lime Kilm road in Sonora between 108 and the Post office. Shop rates and parts are expensive.

I see Broken Spoke 2 on Toulumne rd out of Sonora. Mainly a Harley shop and I assume connected to the one in Oakdale. Both work on about anything and I have had some good experience with the Oakdale shop.

Not much help, but not much up here.

PS. Bettanini's machine shop in Toulumne City used to do all the dealers machine work. They may know "Cap" and how to locate him.

itsatdm screwed with this post 09-29-2012 at 09:07 PM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:51 PM   #607
LaPorte
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin69 View Post
Hey Laporte, we were just going to take it easy tomorrow, nothing to technical. It's been awhile since I've been up there so, it is going to be kind of an exploration trip. You're welcome to come along. Mr B and I were going to meet at the Chevron station in Jamestown at 9 am.
I just loaded my bike and gear. See you in the morning. Think of a place I can park my Van for the day?

LaPorte
Old 09-29-2012, 11:02 PM   #608
Odin69 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Quote:
I just loaded my bike and gear. See you in the morning. Think of a place I can park my Van for the day?

LaPorte
Are you towing a trailer? If not, I think there is public parking in town? If you are, there should be some space across the street from the Chevron or, follow us up to Sonora and park at one of the shopping centers.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:37 PM   #609
Mr B
Gnarly Adventurer

I think across from the Harley shop is a dirt lot

see you guys Sunday

Leonardo da Vinci[/FONT]
Old 09-30-2012, 03:33 PM   #610
LaPorte
Gnarly Adventurer

Odin69/Mr.B
Don't know what happened! Got to Jamestown at 7:30. talked to the gas station guy about where I might park my Van. He suggested right next door at the CC Taqueria. The lady in the Taqueria said I could park my Van there, no problem! Parked, unloaded my bike, got dressed and was at the gas station by 8:30. By 9am when nobody was there i was thinking I was at the wrong place. By 9:05 am I was pertty sure I had the wrong gas station. My thinking was you guys were coming from two different locations and the chance you were both late was remote so I had to be in the wrong place. So I rode around a bit looking for another Chevron Station. No luck finding you guys so I went back to the Taqueria and was entertained by a 80 plus year old man in a wheel chair telling me about when he rode motorcycles and how the goverment is all screwed up. By then it was near 10am so I loaded up and went to visit a friend in 'Twain Harte. Hope the ride was good. It was getting HOT in Jamestown, how was it in the higher elevations?
Need to try this again but next time we need to exchange cell phone #'s. See you next time

Tony
Old 09-30-2012, 06:00 PM   #611
Mr B
Gnarly Adventurer

Hey Tony,
Man I dont know how we missed you, I was a little late, got to the Chevron at about 9:10 to see all the pumps down, so i ran down the road and filled up on the other side of the street. Got back to the Chevron and there was Jason,,,,we waited till about 9:40 at the Chevron...saw a lot of Harley Folks!! Lots of women, at least we think they where!!
I am sorry yes we should have gotten each others cell #'s, next time!

The ride was ok, lots of pavement, we headed down road 4n33 and then got on 3n01 followed that for a while but is was paved so we jumped off and found a forest route back to Crabtree Road,(up by Dodge Ridge Area) and followed that back to 108. It was nice and cool up there but not knowing the area..it was a bit off, lots of guys in truck and rifles too!!!!! I guess the deer season is still in swing!!

Really sorry we missed you...next time for sure...

Bruce

Leonardo da Vinci[/FONT]
Old 09-30-2012, 06:16 PM   #612
powerman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by montibank View Post
Subscribed - add me to the list of lurkers.

Yo vivo en Fresno, Ca.

Mr. B, not only is Monti a lurker, he's a sandbagger. Damn good rider, but he'll never admit it. Good rider and an all around great guy.

You all healed up? Last time I saw you you had sore ribs and a sick radiator.

Andrew
powerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:24 PM   #613
LaPorte
Gnarly Adventurer

You know what's really funny. I was behind the Taqueria in there parking lot talking to the old man in the wheel chair and you guys must have been at the gas station. We were 50 yards apart but I didn't know you where there. The old man lived next door to the Taqueria and wouldn't stop talking. I didn't want to be rude and tell him to get lost so I talked to him for about 20 minutes. I saw all the Harleys go by and looked up to see if I noticed and Dualsport bikes in the group. Didn't see any.

Crazy things happen, today was an example.

Tony
Old 09-30-2012, 08:02 PM   #614
Mr B
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerman View Post
Mr. B, not only is Monti a lurker, he's a sandbagger. Damn good rider, but he'll never admit it. Good rider and an all around great guy.

You all healed up? Last time I saw you you had sore ribs and a sick radiator.

Andrew
Andrew nice to hear from you, how you been ? Yep I healed up ok, got to head back down that trail one of these days.

Yes I lurk on the Central Valley site (Fresno boys) see what Monti has done and damn impressive!!! Hoping to get a smaller bike this winter, hoping to find a new job too!! unfortunately the job has to come first!!!

Hope you are enjoying SoCal
Bruce

Leonardo da Vinci[/FONT]
Old 09-30-2012, 08:03 PM   #615
Mr B
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
You know what's really funny. I was behind the Taqueria in there parking lot talking to the old man in the wheel chair and you guys must have been at the gas station. We were 50 yards apart but I didn't know you where there. The old man lived next door to the Taqueria and wouldn't stop talking. I didn't want to be rude and tell him to get lost so I talked to him for about 20 minutes. I saw all the Harleys go by and looked up to see if I noticed and Dualsport bikes in the group. Didn't see any.

Crazy things happen, today was an example.

Tony
That is kind of strange!!! Yes we where sitting out on the street next to the broken gas pumps!!

Sorry to missed you...

Leonardo da Vinci[/FONT]