ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2012, 01:19 PM   #646
McKay
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
Nice pics, just got a chance to check in here. Looks like a good ride.

Just re-tired the Tiger with offroad tires, now need to break her in in the dirt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coarsegoldkid View Post
Thanks Bruce. Here is a link to some pics I took over the weekend.
https://picasaweb.google.com/1003134...eat=directlink
Old 10-19-2012, 10:08 PM   #647
Mr B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
Was thinking of riding Sunday if anyone is interested

Leonardo da Vinci[/FONT]
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:11 AM   #648
coarsegoldkid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 567
Sunday a buddy on a BMW R1200GS shod with Anakee 2 tires and fully loaded with Jessy bags stuffed with stuff and up front every electronic and illumination device known to man followed me into the mountains above Bass Lake. That GS is not lightweight for sure. My plan was to take nice easy roads and I failed in one 0.5 mile section. We spend 3 hours on that section. I'm beginning to note a collection of roads not suitable for different bike and rider combinations. There are now two on the list. He had a hell of a time. In the end we had a good day and I just made it back home before it was too dark.
coarsegoldkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:24 PM   #649
Mr B
Gnarly Adventurer

I did not get any dirt in over the weekend, but I did manage to get a ride in Saturday. Got bored after dropping the wife off at her work so I headed up an over Tioga Pass. Figure it would be closing soon and wanted to see some fall colors on the Eastern Sierra's. Traffic was not too bad, the wind was a bit wicked on the eastern side, going down the canyon, but overall glad I took the ride. Burned up a little more tread on the rear so I can justify a new tire, sooner!!

Seems the snow hit them yesterday, I would be surprised to see them re-open the road regardless.

I dislike the tank bag but it does allow me to carry my camera easier!

You might notice I am into Panoramic Images, with Photoshop it is so simple to do....

Wish I had had more time to spend on the Eastern slope of the Sierra's really enjoy the colors and the smell of the Sage Brush, reminds me of Park City!

Thats that!!!

Leonardo da Vinci[/FONT]
Old 10-24-2012, 08:52 AM   #650
McKay
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
Awesome photos.

Are your barkbusters tapped into the bars or the expandable wedge types? These are on my short list but I want the ones that tap in, I use High Dirt Bikes anti-vibe inserts.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:58 AM   #651
Mr B
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for that...
I have a Throttlemeister on the Throttle and had to fabricate a bar end of sorts. I just went to Lowe's and got a metric bolt, internal wrenching, think they are #12 x 1.25 pitch . I cut a small piece of steel tube and used it as a bushing so that the throttle lock , locked!!
The hardware that came with the Barkbusters would have been a bit more challenging to use with the throttle lock...

Leonardo da Vinci[/FONT]
Old 10-24-2012, 10:01 AM   #652
coarsegoldkid
Studly Adventurer

Thanks for the pics Bruce.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:36 PM   #653
Mr B
Gnarly Adventurer

Anyone got any intel on conditions in the upper elevations?

Leonardo da Vinci[/FONT]
Old 10-26-2012, 09:31 AM   #654
coarsegoldkid
Studly Adventurer

Bruce I can see snow up there. I would imagine 5K would be snow free. 6K perhaps some in the shade. According to the weather dude the limit was 7K in the Southern Sierra. Saturday I riding the BMW into the Kings Canyon area with some locals. I think I'll find out the answer to your question.
I'd be up for dirt on Sunday in the area above Bass Lake.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:18 AM   #655
Mr B
Gnarly Adventurer

Hey Joe.
I cant ride Sunday am thinking about heading up Saturday though....

King's Canyon should be nice this time of year and the weather looks good for the weekend..I am thinking of heading up towards Italian Bar Road area, it has been over a year since i rode that side of 108
Have a good ride, be safe!!

Leonardo da Vinci[/FONT]
Old 10-26-2012, 12:00 PM   #656
dyvking
ahead of his flamin star

Oddometer: 3,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Anyone got any intel on conditions in the upper elevations?
I rode over 4 to Markleeville area this past weekend and it was great, but they caught a dusting of snow on Monday. Fall color was going off bigtime on the east side.

On the way back I rode 49 to Moccasin, up 120 to Priest-Coulterville Rd and into Coulterville, up the little dragon to Mariposa, then down Ben Hur to Raymond. Great ride!
2014 Fitness Goal: hike 1200 miles. DONE! Now +106
dyvking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:01 PM   #657
lvscrvs
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 625
Route advise

Next week I'm leading a little band of NorCal riders down to Oakhurst, then down into Kings Canyon and Sequoia NP (with a little detour up Beasore and across to Minarets). Not sure whether to ride Kings Canyon or head out on the Generals Hwy. Probably won't have time for both. Then the next day up past Shaver Lake to Kaiser Pass and Lake TE (weather permitting of course). Are these pave routes that you would recommend, or am I missing something? Enough time in the day to do these routes? Open to suggestions

Thanks,
Brian

http://goo.gl/maps/HC3it

http://goo.gl/maps/L8dOD

Tiger 955i / Yamaha WR250R < Tiger 955i / DRZ400S / R1150GS < FJR1300 < DL1000 < BMW R1100RS < Ducati ST4 < DL650 zzzzz 30+ years zzzzz 125 Honda Elsinore < Suzuki TM250 < Yamaha 90 Enduro < Taco
lvscrvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:40 PM   #658
Mr B
Gnarly Adventurer

Seems pretty ambitious to me but I don't know those road maybe some of the guys from Fresno can give you better insight.

Seems everything got shut down for the winter, HWY 4,108 and I am sure 120...seems a couple of weeks early!

Leonardo da Vinci[/FONT]
Old 10-26-2012, 05:32 PM   #659
coarsegoldkid
Studly Adventurer

Open and paved all the way over through Sequoia. Kings Canyon should also be open. The warm weather this week should have melted any snow. I can't speak for Shaver and beyond. Lake TE for example is unfamiliar to me. Kaiser Pass is semi-paved beyond the summit if I remember correctly. Dual Sport suitable. Becomes sandy a mile or so before Florence Lake I'm told and not so suitable for my BMW touring bike. This weekend I can give you intel on Sequoia area.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:54 AM   #660
4point
n00b

Oddometer: 4
The road before and past Kiser is paved. It will be icey at the least and possibley snow covered. 4WD's make awful humps in the road too.
4point is offline   Reply With Quote