ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2010, 01:28 PM   #61
dtp
Gnarly Adventurer
 
dtp's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Turlock, California
Oddometer: 383
Dang, I saw this thread too late for the ride.

A couple of ideas for cool rides...

- Last week the family loaded-up the Subaru and took Old Coulterville Rd all the way into Yosemite via Little Nellie Falls and Foresta. Highly recommended although I may not want to tackle on my Strom. Maybe after a little more practice. Some pics of the road and views here... http://www.flickr.com/photos/1darren...7624365533854/

- Saturday the 3rd we loaded the Subaru and took the Sierra Grandstand Tour road. That I would most definately take my Strom on. A couple of really rocky and sandy sections, but doable if I put my knobby on the front.

Who is it that has the DR350 in Turlock? I am kinda in the market for one of those and was wondering how you like it. I'd like to see it sometime maybe.
__________________
07 Husqvarna TE250,07 VStrom 650, 92 Suzuki DR350S
"Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon!" -- 1962 Honda Safety Rules
dtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 01:42 PM   #62
lionsroaar
I meant to do that!!
 
lionsroaar's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Linden, Ca.
Oddometer: 148
Hi guys...It looks like you had a great ride in a beautiful area. I live in Linden and my riding buddy lives in Stockton. We've been exploring that area quite a bit and actually just got back from a ride up Hwy 4 past Arnold then onto some forest service roads. Let me know when you're planning the next ride and I'd love to join you.
Have a good one,
Jason
__________________
Sex is like pizza, even when it's bad it's still pretty good...

2009 Husky TE610

Up and over the Sierras to Bodie...
lionsroaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 02:18 PM   #63
Lasherman
Ah Sh!t!
 
Lasherman's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Turlock, Ca
Oddometer: 199
Who is it that has the DR350 in Turlock? I am kinda in the market for one of those and was wondering how you like it. I'd like to see it sometime maybe.[/quote]

I have the DR, but it is sleeved to a 441. I like it, have had it for 3 months now. Very tough, havs taken two good crashes so far. Parts are easy to come by and a lot of upgrades around. I have never riden a stock DR350 so I can't compare power, but mine will power up in 3rd going down the trails.
Lasherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 05:37 PM   #64
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"
 
NSFW's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Burbank CA
Oddometer: 15,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memnok
Had a great time riding with you all. Found a lot of cool places to ride. Click here to see a detailed map of the ride that you can zoom.

The ride:







































It was good riding with everyone. We'll have to get going on the next ride date and location. I have attached the GPX file for those who like such things.

clint, nice rr and cool pics plus the video...

nice place. i would love to join you guys on future rides...
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 06:16 PM   #65
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer
 
itsatdm's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Nor Ca.
Oddometer: 4,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtp
Dang, I saw this thread too late for the ride.

A couple of ideas for cool rides...

- Last week the family loaded-up the Subaru and took Old Coulterville Rd all the way into Yosemite via Little Nellie Falls and Foresta. Highly recommended although I may not want to tackle on my Strom. Maybe after a little more practice. Some pics of the road and views here... http://www.flickr.com/photos/1darren...7624365533854/

- Saturday the 3rd we loaded the Subaru and took the Sierra Grandstand Tour road. That I would most definately take my Strom on. A couple of really rocky and sandy sections, but doable if I put my knobby on the front.

Who is it that has the DR350 in Turlock? I am kinda in the market for one of those and was wondering how you like it. I'd like to see it sometime maybe.
Do you have a route for that ride? Not familiar with Nellie Falls and I was not aware of any legal way into the park except the paved routes. I have been up the Coultureville rd to where the Parks service has barricaded the road. Is there a secret way?
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:11 PM   #66
Memnok
Fly high, go far.
 
Memnok's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Turlock, Ca
Oddometer: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8chains
clint, nice rr and cool pics plus the video...

nice place. i would love to join you guys on future rides...
Good to hear from you Joel! For those who don't know him, Joel is the inmate who put together the Death Valley n00b's ride this year. It would be a long ride from SoCal for you to take a day trip with us, but you are more than welcome any time!

And next year, I have another DV nOOb to bring with me. I finally talked my brother, Lasher, into a dual sport.
__________________
Clint >>> 2007 XR650L <<<

----------------------------------
Good government is no substitute for self-government. Mahatma Gandhi

That government is best which governs least, because its people discipline themselves. - Thomas Jefferson
Memnok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:03 AM   #67
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"
 
NSFW's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Burbank CA
Oddometer: 15,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memnok
Good to hear from you Joel! For those who don't know him, Joel is the inmate who put together the Death Valley n00b's ride this year. It would be a long ride from SoCal for you to take a day trip with us, but you are more than welcome any time!

And next year, I have another DV nOOb to bring with me. I finally talked my brother, Lasher, into a dual sport.

you know me...i'm a sucker for fire roads and smooth dirt roads....

i'll make a weekend out of it. just want to experience different places and get a taste of your dirt (just an expression!)....
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:22 AM   #68
dtp
Gnarly Adventurer
 
dtp's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Turlock, California
Oddometer: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm
Do you have a route for that ride? Not familiar with Nellie Falls and I was not aware of any legal way into the park except the paved routes. I have been up the Coultureville rd to where the Parks service has barricaded the road. Is there a secret way?
Heh... no secrets needed here. There are a couple of "seasonal" gates though. All were open with no problems for us. However, if you follow Old Coulterville Rd in reverse from Foresta on a map, there is a permanent closure point there at a very unstable bridge. There is a legal way around it however by snaking through Foresta.

I have my gps track for the trip. You can find it at my very much under construction website... http://www.1darren1.com

There are two more ways to get into the park... one is Chowchilla Mountain Road which enters at the golf course at Wawona. The other is Foresta Rd which essentially takes you to the same place as the Old Coulterville Rd route. The Foresta Rd route may lead you to a closed gate though, which is what you might be thinking of.
__________________
07 Husqvarna TE250,07 VStrom 650, 92 Suzuki DR350S
"Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon!" -- 1962 Honda Safety Rules
dtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 01:03 PM   #69
Odin69 OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Odin69's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: California
Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtp

There are two more ways to get into the park... one is Chowchilla Mountain Road which enters at the golf course at Wawona.
The last time I took Chowchilla Mt. road to Wawona I had to go around a couple of gates. That was a few years ago though and I had a National Parks card so if I got caught I could tell them I was just turning around and heading back to the park.
__________________
Jason.
Odin69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 05:57 PM   #70
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer
 
itsatdm's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Nor Ca.
Oddometer: 4,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtp
Heh... no secrets needed here. There are a couple of "seasonal" gates though. All were open with no problems for us. However, if you follow Old Coulterville Rd in reverse from Foresta on a map, there is a permanent closure point there at a very unstable bridge. There is a legal way around it however by snaking through Foresta.

I have my gps track for the trip. You can find it at my very much under construction website... http://www.1darren1.com

There are two more ways to get into the park... one is Chowchilla Mountain Road which enters at the golf course at Wawona. The other is Foresta Rd which essentially takes you to the same place as the Old Coulterville Rd route. The Foresta Rd route may lead you to a closed gate though, which is what you might be thinking of.
I will take a look. The one I tried is called Coulterville/Yosemite road and travels through some old growth area. Ends with a deep a wide trench, complete with an adjacient berm and signs threatening terrible things.
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:32 PM   #71
Mr B
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Mr B's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Merced, CA
Oddometer: 465
If any of you guys are interested, Fresno BMW, I think in conjunction with Cycle Specialist in Modesto, are putting on a two day ride (overnight camp) up in Shaver Lake area. I spoke with Fresno BMW today and he indicated that they are putting on a BBQ sat night and Breakfast Sunday AM. they got a ride planned for Sunday AM (loop in the area I imagine)
If any of you guys are interested I think I am going to hit this one be nice to get out of the heat for the weekend. Plus I got a two day pass from the mrs's. they are even providing the beer....
__________________
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Leonardo da Vinci[/FONT]
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:02 PM   #72
dtp
Gnarly Adventurer
 
dtp's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Turlock, California
Oddometer: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm
I will take a look. The one I tried is called Coulterville/Yosemite road and travels through some old growth area. Ends with a deep a wide trench, complete with an adjacient berm and signs threatening terrible things.
OK I think I know what you may be talking about... The original Old Coulterville Road heads north before you even get to Little Nellie Falls, which would explain why you have never heard of them. That road is the original stage-coach route that took you up into one of the groves of sequoias. That road is most definately closed at the border of the park. The way into the park actually splits from there. You want to take N1S12 where it meets Old C Rd all the way to a site labled "Buena Vista" on the maps (just a place you can view El Cap and the backside of Half Dome hence the name "good view"). From there, you take N2S84 north and west to Little Nellie Falls and then the entrance gate to Yosemite is less than a mile from the falls. Here is a photo of the car at the gate. I am standing inside the park taking a photo of the car while it is outside of the park. The picture of the sign lying on the ground is the only "Welcome to Yosemite" sign you get.

Look it over and let me know if you have any questions. If you have Mapsource, the road names are actually pretty well displayed along the track and together with a Stanislaus NF map you should be able to figure it out.



__________________
07 Husqvarna TE250,07 VStrom 650, 92 Suzuki DR350S
"Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon!" -- 1962 Honda Safety Rules

dtp screwed with this post 07-06-2010 at 11:10 PM
dtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 03:19 AM   #73
Odin69 OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Odin69's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: California
Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B
If any of you guys are interested, Fresno BMW, I think in conjunction with Cycle Specialist in Modesto, are putting on a two day ride (overnight camp) up in Shaver Lake area. I spoke with Fresno BMW today and he indicated that they are putting on a BBQ sat night and Breakfast Sunday AM. they got a ride planned for Sunday AM (loop in the area I imagine)
If any of you guys are interested I think I am going to hit this one be nice to get out of the heat for the weekend. Plus I got a two day pass from the mrs's. they are even providing the beer....
Bruce, that really sounds like it will be fun. It's too bad I have to work all weekend. Post up some pictures when you get back.
__________________
Jason.
Odin69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:56 PM   #74
Mr B
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Mr B's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Merced, CA
Oddometer: 465
Looks like the camp site is Courthouse reservoir at about 8300 feet it should be nice an cool at night...maybe cold!'
Sorry no one else can make it, I just spent the week doing a "annual" 6000 mile inspection on the bike and it all looks good and ready to go..
Hope to ride again next month sometime, enjoy your double session this weekend!!!
__________________
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Leonardo da Vinci[/FONT]
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 02:58 PM   #75
Odin69 OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Odin69's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: California
Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B
...enjoy your double session this weekend!!!
As much as I can with the temperature in the high 90's. I just got back from camping at Pinecrest with the family, it was pretty nice there.
Make sure you drink my share of the beer.
__________________
Jason.
Odin69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014