ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2013, 03:25 AM   #736
Mr B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 481
Hey Glad to see you are back to riding Jason....

Leonardo da Vinci[/FONT]
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:12 AM   #737
McKay
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by coarsegoldkid View Post
What shop?

My DRZ is torn apart. I tore into the swing arm and linkage bearings to lube them. Bought some other parts that needed replacement, repaired the non-functioning left turn signal and sent my shock off for rebuilding and new spring weight. New chain and sprockets and fork oil change after I get the shock back. Today I spent time rerouting wires for the GPS and future accessories. Gonna be a new bike.

Wow, you aren't leaving anything undone are you!

Bike is at Wilsons since they are still the factory authorized center for warranty.
They told me I'm the first to bring a Tiger in for warranty issue, that's a good sign, just wish it wasn't my bike!

Of course its not acting up as bad now but I told them to take their time and put some miles on it to see if it replicates.

Im guessing riding this weekend is out of the question?
Old 02-27-2013, 08:43 AM   #738
Odin69 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by coarsegoldkid View Post
Thanks for posting the pics Jason. I need to check that area out.
Yeah, there's all kinds of good riding in and around the foothills. Let me know if you're heading this way and maybe we can ride together? Maybe, we can get Mr. B to join us?
Old 02-27-2013, 08:47 AM   #739
Odin69 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Hey Glad to see you are back to riding Jason....
Thanks, Bruce. Yeah, It's time I got my ass back onto the saddle and did some riding. I've mostly, just been riding the DRZ in the backyard. I saw a few spots that looked interesting but, I'll have to go back and take the DRZ. Some of them looked like they could get nasty on a big bike. We need to go riding again. Let me know when you have some free time?
Old 02-27-2013, 12:43 PM   #740
Memnok
Fly high, go far.

Oddometer: 347
I think I'll be headed out to the hills for a ride on Thursday (tomorrow). See how far I get before I get stopped by the snow...

----------------------------------
Good government is no substitute for self-government. Mahatma Gandhi

That government is best which governs least, because its people discipline themselves. - Thomas Jefferson
Memnok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:57 AM   #741
Odin69 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Post some pictures if you can and let us know how far you got?
Old 02-28-2013, 11:35 AM   #742
Mr B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 481
Jason
I am working in Florida and getting ready to deploy to baghdad for 90 days. When I get back I got 30 days and plan on riding almost every day!!!! Maybe on a new bike too.

Leonardo da Vinci[/FONT]
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:02 PM   #743
Lasherman
Ah Sh!t!

Oddometer: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memnok View Post
I think I'll be headed out to the hills for a ride on Thursday (tomorrow). See how far I get before I get stopped by the snow...
He didn't get to far :) Damn rocks!
Lasherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:49 PM   #744
Odin69 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasherman View Post
He didn't get to far :) Damn rocks!
What happend? Did he shred a tire?
Old 03-02-2013, 10:29 PM   #745
chrish4ku
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 725
Nice photos - looks super fun
2011 KTM 990 Adventure / KTM 500 EXC
Chris' Sat Tracker
chrish4ku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:52 AM   #746
coarsegoldkid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin69 View Post
Yeah, there's all kinds of good riding in and around the foothills. Let me know if you're heading this way and maybe we can ride together? Maybe, we can get Mr. B to join us?
Jason I tend to not travel very far on pavement to ride the dirt on my DRZ400S shod with D606 knobs. But I do get up around Hwy 120 near Buck Meadows now and again via dirt mostly. I've ridden from North Fork to the Evergreen Lodge mostly by dirt a few times now taking different routes. I get lost a lot.
Bye the way remember a few years back when you, Richard and Mikko rode off from the NorCal Meets SoCal in the Middle event I hosted. Bummer that your clutch cable snapped. Well we did it again last year and Richard led about 10 riders through ranchland and one water crossing where a BMW 1200GS went swimming. This year we are doing the event again but the headquarters will be at the Oakhurst Lodge. I'm leading a DS ride on Friday April 19th. On the 20th either I or Richard's son Chris will lead a DS group on Saturday. As you know the snowfall has been dismal this year however it also means that the mountain trails could very well be open early in time for the event weekend. Think about coming down. Also anyone reading this is also welcome to come. I secured room decent rates at the Oakhurst Lodge. If you call them say your are with the BMWST.com NorCal Meets SoCal in the Middle riders.
coarsegoldkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:01 AM   #747
Lasherman
Ah Sh!t!

Oddometer: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin69 View Post
What happend? Did he shred a tire?
Tore a hole in the side of his case.
Lasherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:27 PM   #748
Memnok
Fly high, go far.

Oddometer: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasherman View Post
Tore a hole in the side of his case.
Yes, yes it did.

I was about 1/2 way through my ride. I left Turlock and road through Snelling and Hornitos to Mariposa. After topping off, I rode up Briceburg and across Bull Creek to Buck Meadows. I was riding down Lumbston Road, minding my own buisness about a mile from the top, when a sweeping tight turn came out of nowhere an knocked me down. I never saw it coming, the front wheel just disappeared out from underneath me, and the next thing I knew, my head was bouncing off the rocks on the side of the road. It was really my own fault, I should never have been riding on that front tire; it is about 4 years old and has been to Death Valley at least 5 times. It is missing almost 1/2 of the knobbs on the sides, so when I made that turn, the wheel just went bye-bye. I was not going very fast, in fact, the motor was not even running. I had been coasting in neutral, just enjoying the slow ride down.

After checking myself for injuries I looked over at the XR and noticed the trail of black fluid slowly making it's way down hill. I knew I was in trouble then, and it didnt take to see where the problem was... I pushed the bike over to the side and hit my SPOT button. I figured there was only really one way help would be arriving, so I started walking back to 120. About 1/2 way there I got picked up by a thoughtful motorist and they dropped me at the Groveland Rangers station where my DW picked me up a couple hours later in the Dodge.

Lessons learned: Replace your front tire sooner, fall closer to the road.

----------------------------------
Good government is no substitute for self-government. Mahatma Gandhi

That government is best which governs least, because its people discipline themselves. - Thomas Jefferson
Memnok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:37 PM   #749
coarsegoldkid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memnok View Post
Yes, yes it did.

Lessons learned: Replace your front tire sooner, fall closer to the road.
Sorry to hear about his Memnok. Good advice on replacing tires. At my age falling from any height is to be avoided at all costs. New tires are cheaper than doctors and PT.
coarsegoldkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:46 AM   #750
Odin69 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Yeah, that sucks Memnok. It sounds like you didn't get hurt though? Bikes can be repaired quickly, bodies take a little longer.