ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2013, 10:27 PM   #796
Mr B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
Sunday sounds good to me, have to see how the weather holds up or NOT....

Leonardo da Vinci[/FONT]
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:32 PM   #797
charliefrench2oo8
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Im a "new to adv" rider.

I have a DL650 2012, that i'll be taking offroad a lot more once i get a proper skid-plate, But i have had a few enduros throughout the years.
charliefrench2oo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:29 PM   #798
Mr B
Gnarly Adventurer

Welcome to the show!!!
Not sure your location but if you are in he Central Valley you will find sme great folk here that can show you the area!

Leonardo da Vinci[/FONT]
Old 04-05-2013, 06:18 AM   #799
charliefrench2oo8
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Welcome to the show!!!
Not sure your location but if you are in he Central Valley you will find sme great folk here that can show you the area!
I'm in the Sacramento area, But I ride year round (I Dont even have a car anymore) and places like Yosemite, etc, are only 1.5-2 hrs away.
charliefrench2oo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:12 PM   #800
Odin69 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Sunday sounds good to me, have to see how the weather holds up or NOT....
Hey Bruce, did you guys have a ride planned for tomorrow?

I tried calling the phone number I had for you, but, no one answered. I wasn't sure if you still have the same number?
Old 04-07-2013, 07:43 AM   #801
Mr B
Gnarly Adventurer

No nothing planned, I went out yesterday and just dusted the cob webs off, so to speak. Saw some two tracks that looked interesting and might justify another trip above Caulterville.
I will be back in early July maybe we can organize something then! If I go ride today it is going to be around noon

Leonardo da Vinci[/FONT]
Old 04-07-2013, 10:34 AM   #802
Odin69 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Yeah, we'll ride next time you're in town. I'm too burnt out from driving all day, yesterday.

We had a kick ass trip. I'll post some pictures on facebook in a few days.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:21 PM   #803
Odin69 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I had a blast riding today. I started out on forest roads and found some nice trails to ride.

Somebody was nice enough to notch out this tree for me.

My bike's at the top of the hill. It was fun riding out there, but, it was tiring too.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:34 AM   #804
Mr B
Gnarly Adventurer

Hey Jason looks like you and the DRZ are still going strong!!

Leonardo da Vinci[/FONT]
Old 04-24-2013, 09:30 AM   #805
Odin69 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Bruce, it was fun riding out there, but, it was a work out. I was glad I was on the DRZ and not a big bike. Some of the trails turned into overgrown single track and, there was no chance of turning around. You had to go through it.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:41 AM   #806
SilverFaux
never satisfied

Oddometer: 134
Dirt riders only?

Looking at the photos (which are really nice btw) and banter you guys are mostly interested in riding dirt? Do you do any paved riding? I' a noob here and have a total street bike (Honda PC800). Just looking for some other riders to go with. I'm in the Modesto/Turlock area. I like to head up into the mountains/coast whenever possible. Can you point me in the right direction?
Old 05-03-2013, 12:59 PM   #807
dtp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverFaux View Post
Looking at the photos (which are really nice btw) and banter you guys are mostly interested in riding dirt? Do you do any paved riding? I' a noob here and have a total street bike (Honda PC800). Just looking for some other riders to go with. I'm in the Modesto/Turlock area. I like to head up into the mountains/coast whenever possible. Can you point me in the right direction?
Hey welcome aboard. Lots of dirt, street, mix, whatever can be found here. For street rides, Cycle Specialties in Modesto does a more-or-less monthly street ride. They welcome all brands though you will be surrounded by BMWs for sure.

I'm hoping to do some more riding this summer after being on the down-low recovering from an illness 16 months ago. I love to go up 49, 108, 120, 88 on my VStrom and one of my favorites is hwy 26 from Pioneer on Hwy 88 down to Mokelumne Hill. I also do a lot of dual sporting on my DR350 and now on my new Husky.

Post up on here when and where you are going to ride and see if anyone bites!
Old 05-03-2013, 02:10 PM   #808
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,770
Hey guys, I can't believe I only now found this thread!

I'm in Sonora, and do both dirt and street. I'm hoping to do a loop over the Sierra when Hwy 120 opens. They are saying May 11, but rumor says it will be May 9. I'll probably go on the 18th, 2-up with my wife, lunch at the Whoa Nelly Deli, and back over 108.

My wife just got her learner's permit, is taking the BRC course soon, and we are looking for an electric start DR350 for her (a 1999 would be ideal). When we locate one, I'll be selling the kick start '83 XL600, which has been my "little" trail bike for many happy years.

Quote:
Originally posted by SilverFaux
There are lots of amazing street rides up here. If you are not familiar with the Sierra passes, they get progressively narrower as you go north. 120 is a huge rocky pass with great views. 108 is a mix of rock and forest, with some tight turns. Both of them are prone to sand/gravel kicked in the road from motor homes cutting corners. Hwy 4 is super tight, narrowing down to one lane at the top with lakes lapping at the white line. I've never seen a motor home up there, but supermotos love it because there isn't much traffic. Hwy 49 is also a great ride. My favorite section is from Sonora to Coulterville, which will trigger any fear of heights you may have .

You should head over to Cycle Specialties and get on their email list. I have yet to go on one of their rides, but all of the folks over there have been super friendly to me, even though I don't own a BMW. Here is the latest invite they sent me:
Cycle Specialties Street Ride Sunday May 12th!
John's ride has been moved to May 12th! Route details are coming together. With the mild winter, the Sierra Passes might open early this year. Not sure if we will make it over this month, but we will very soon! We meet at Cycle Specialties between 8:00-9:00AM for coffee and doughnuts. Ride starts at 9:00AM. Please arrive with a full tank of fuel.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:34 PM   #809
SilverFaux
never satisfied

Oddometer: 134
SCHWeeeet!

Thanks for the info. I'll be taking a solo ride out to West Point either tonight or tomorrow for some family hangout time. I want to get together with some locals and do some of these great roads I am hearing about. Looking forward to this summer!
Old 05-03-2013, 04:12 PM   #810
dtp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
Hey guys, I can't believe I only now found this thread!

My wife just got her learner's permit, is taking the BRC course soon, and we are looking for an electric start DR350 for her (a 1999 would be ideal). When we locate one, I'll be selling the kick start '83 XL600, which has been my "little" trail bike for many happy years.
There was a 99 DR350 on Craigslist out of San Jose, I think it's still there. I was considering when it looked like the deal on my Husky was going south but the guy has an emotional attachment to it and was asking WAY too much for it, like $3000, and he would not budge on the price. It's only worth $2200 to $2400 tops. Heck, I only paid $2850 for my 07 TE250 and it will smoke that DR (I know cause I have a 92 DR -- they are GREAT bikes!)

Here's the link if you want to take a look... http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mcy/3741169837.html