ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2013, 07:24 PM   #826
oldxr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,119
In 2008 I worked as a contractor in Iraq.That looks like Iraq on a dust storm day.There was lots of concrete k-wall and blast wall everywhere.
oldxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:28 PM   #827
SilverFaux
never satisfied

Oddometer: 134
Hmm, that could be it too. I have heard lots of stories on the radio lately about smog in Some of the major cities in China and how you can't hardly see across the street. Just a guess but I bet our questions will be answered soon enough. Whatever it is.....
Old 05-25-2013, 11:43 PM   #828
Mr B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
Yep those T walls are in old Mesopotamia, not supposed to say where we are!!! but am sure you can figure it out!!!!

Leonardo da Vinci[/FONT]
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:56 PM   #829
McKay
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Yep those T walls are in old Mesopotamia, not supposed to say where we are!!! but am sure you can figure it out!!!!

Good birds there!
Old 06-06-2013, 12:07 AM   #830
montibank
Happy

Oddometer: 2,779
Hotter'n hell in our neck of the woods, any of you northerners have the hook up on northern california dualsport goodness? Woods riding preffered, light bikes, temperature ~80 or less are good. Anyone wanna ride saturday? Lake tahoe area?

I have only ridin uo north one time - no idea what is available.
montibank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:19 PM   #831
pcvance
Walk Verplank

Oddometer: 5,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by montibank View Post
Hotter'n hell in our neck of the woods, any of you northerners have the hook up on northern california dualsport goodness? Woods riding preffered, light bikes, temperature ~80 or less are good. Anyone wanna ride saturday? Lake tahoe area?

I have only ridin uo north one time - no idea what is available.
Tahoe for the day? Long way to go and it won't be any cooler up there.
Plenty of good stuff right here in the local mountains high enough to get out of the scorching heat.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:36 PM   #832
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcvance View Post
Tahoe for the day? Long way to go and it won't be any cooler up there.
Plenty of good stuff right here in the local mountains high enough to get out of the scorching heat.
I can't go Saturday, but if you are bored with Dinkey Creek and the like you guys might want to try the Hull Creek area in Stanislaus National Forest above Sonora. About 2.5 to 3 hours from Fresno if you take Hwy 59 out of Merced. They are calling for 99 degrees that day in Sonora, so Hull Creek should be around 90. There are a lot of trails out there; both 4X4 and single track.

Right across Hwy 108 is Deer Creek/Crandall Peak for another alternative.

The Mi Wuk Ranger station has free detailed maps, and there is a Chevron station in Sierra Village just a few miles before the turn off. Pie In The Sky Pizza is next to Chevron, and there is a good selection of restaurants in old town Sonora (Washington St.) Look up Diamond Back Grill for wine paired food, or their sister restaurant The Standard Pour for beer paired food.

It's funny; I have been dying to get down to your section of the Sierra...
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:58 PM   #833
pcvance
Walk Verplank

Oddometer: 5,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
I can't go Saturday, but if you are bored with Dinkey Creek and the like you guys might want to try the Hull Creek area in Stanislaus National Forest above Sonora. About 2.5 to 3 hours from Fresno if you take Hwy 59 out of Merced. They are calling for 99 degrees that day in Sonora, so Hull Creek should be around 90. There are a lot of trails out there; both 4X4 and single track.

Right across Hwy 108 is Deer Creek/Crandall Peak for another alternative.

The Mi Wuk Ranger station has free detailed maps, and there is a Chevron station in Sierra Village just a few miles before the turn off. Pie In The Sky Pizza is next to Chevron, and there is a good selection of restaurants in old town Sonora (Washington St.) Look up Diamond Back Grill for wine paired food, or their sister restaurant The Standard Pour for beer paired food.

It's funny; I have been dying to get down to your section of the Sierra...
Thanks Herb,
I'll take ya on a Sequoia tour somtime, shoot me a PM.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:12 AM   #834
yobuddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
The area between Groveland and Cherry Lake, lots of Jeep type trails but not much single track that I know of. The Hull Creek area has lots of single track. Unfortunately I don't have any GPS files for you but let me see what I can dig up from buddies that ride that area. I don't have a good single track bike right now so I have been sticking to Jeep trails and such. As someone mentioned, the Ranger Station has some pretty good maps.
Bob
yobuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 02:05 PM   #835
coarsegoldkid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 571
Hey guys and gals in the California and neighboring states this may be of interest to you. These are very nice folks that fight to keep our trails open and CLEAN. You would not believe what trash is up in the camp sites.

Stewards of the Sierra National Forest 4th Annual Membership Drive, BBQ Fundraiser & Optional Dual Sport Adventure

Elks Lodge in Oakhurst California July 13/14, 2013

It’s that time of year again to come out and help show your support for the Stewards of the Sierra National Forest (SOTSNF) which were voted as the 2011 Volunteer Trail Group of the Year, for the Sierra National Forest, Region 5

All of California, and the USDA/USFS Nationwide. This will be our 4 th annual fundraising event for the Stewards of the Sierra National Forest an organization dedicated to keeping Public Access to the Sierra National Forest open for all to use and enjoy.

Donation
Your Tax deductable donation of $85.00 per person includes a Saturday Night BBQ, SOTSNF T-Shirt, and Membership to the Stewards of the Sierra National Forest a (Division of CTUC a 501-C3 not for profit).

Raffle
There will be a raffle table full of swag and prizes after the BBQ on Saturday night and some well deserved awards given out to those who braved our Optional Dual Sport Adventure.

Dual Sport Adventure (Optional)
On Saturday and Sunday there will be an Optional Self Guided Dual Sport Adventure through the Sierra National Forest north of Oakhurst and the Bass Lake area. Roll Charts and GPS tracks will be provided to guide you along the scenic routes (bring a camera) which will consist of great back roads and trails throughout the area. The route will be approximately 100 miles on Saturday and 80 miles on Sunday.

Optional hard way splits for the more experienced rider.

The adventures will start and end at
the Elks Lodge in Oakhurst, CA
(Hwy 41/Rd 222 North of Oakhurst).

On Saturday’s route, food and gas will be available for purchase at the lunch/gas stop at the Triangle store. Sunday’s route is a 100 mile loop and there will be gas/lunch stop at the famous Jones Store.

If you choose to participate in the Optional Dual Sport Adventure, your bike must be street legal, be able to go 75 miles on a tank of gas, and meet the USFS 96db sound level and spark arrestor requirements.

Click here for event sign up.http://www.sotsnf.org/pdf/2013_BBQ_Flyer.pdf
coarsegoldkid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 12:27 PM   #836
Mr B
Gnarly Adventurer

Hey Joe how was your trip? did you get where you wanted?

Be home in a few weeks might be able to work in some riding!!

Leonardo da Vinci[/FONT]
Old 06-29-2013, 12:28 PM   #837
Mr B
Gnarly Adventurer

Was wondering if that Fire in the Mariposa area ever got under control? OUT??

Leonardo da Vinci[/FONT]
Old 06-30-2013, 08:52 AM   #838
coarsegoldkid
Studly Adventurer

Hey Bruce
The fire was put out.
I had a good time riding up in Oregon, a short trip, on my bike bike. Tomorrow I leave for Utah and Colorado for the big trip on the small bike.
I'll be back around the 21st.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:40 PM   #839
Mr B
Gnarly Adventurer

Sounds awesome!

Leonardo da Vinci[/FONT]
Old 08-18-2013, 09:30 PM   #840
coarsegoldkid
Studly Adventurer

The Stewards of the Sierra National Forest were hard at work at this creek crossing. If you can join in on the fun help http://www.sotsnf.org/html/events/events.php keep the forest open for all of us. This creek crossing needed some attention to prevent further errosion and damage to the creek bed.