ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2013, 09:20 PM   #841
McKay
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by coarsegoldkid View Post
The Stewards of the Sierra National Forest were hard at work at this creek crossing. If you can join in on the fun help http://www.sotsnf.org/html/events/events.php keep the forest open for all of us. This creek crossing needed some attention to prevent further errosion and damage to the creek bed.

Hey don't you owe us a trip report?????
Old 08-19-2013, 01:49 PM   #842
coarsegoldkid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 524
I need to add the maps then I'm done with the ride tale.
coarsegoldkid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:02 PM   #843
McKay
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I need to add the maps then I'm done with the ride tale.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:12 PM   #844
coarsegoldkid
Studly Adventurer

I'll send it too you Jeff. I wrote it in MS Word, it's a 2.85mb file with pics and links to more pics, maps were too much trouble. I uploaded it to my Google Drive. I set the share to anyone on the internet with a link. Tested the link and Google required a login even though I selected no login. I'm not going to pull the doc apart to enter day by day on this forum.
If someone has a solution for me please let me know. I can also send to others if provided an email address. Bye the way in case you are wondering I took my DRZ400S on the Utah and Colorado Backcountry Discovery Routes in July.

coarsegoldkid screwed with this post 08-19-2013 at 08:58 PM
Old 08-19-2013, 09:49 PM   #845
McKay
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I'll send it too you Jeff. I wrote it in MS Word, it's a 2.85mb file with pics and links to more pics, maps were too much trouble. I uploaded it to my Google Drive. I set the share to anyone on the internet with a link. Tested the link and Google required a login even though I selected no login. I'm not going to pull the doc apart to enter day by day on this forum.
If someone has a solution for me please let me know. I can also send to others if provided an email address. Bye the way in case you are wondering I took my DRZ400S on the Utah and Colorado Backcountry Discovery Routes in July.

I bet I can get it into the forum if you like. Haven't read it yet but will in the am. Post if you want me to try to get it here.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:23 AM   #846
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,131
Smokey around here lately. My wife and I are planning to go over Hwy 120, and back on Hwy 108 over Labor Day weekend. I wonder if 120 will be opened again by then. It is closed east of Groveland because of the Rim Fire.

I may have to alter my route.

Speaking of that route: Has anybody entered Yosemite on the morning of a holiday weekend? My wife is a fairly new rider, and I don't want to be stuck in line for an hour at the Park gate. It is only one lane, with no space on the shoulder. "Splitting" to the front would mean riding in the oncoming lane, and cutting back into line at the guard shack. Not good. I figure if I can get to the gate by 8:30 am, the line should be minimal?
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:58 PM   #847
Mr B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 482
Not sure where you are coming from, but if you are on the west side of the park, anywhere near say Fresno or Mariposa, you might want to try heading into the park via Chowchilla Mt Road. If connects to highway 49 between Mariposa and Oakhurst, you can see it on the Google map page, anyway it will take up into the park without having to go through any gates. Of course you would then have to travel on 41 all the way to 120, but they re-paved that section summer 2012 and it is in nice shape..Chowchilla Mt Road is mostly dirt and last time I road it in good shape, am sure it is dusty this time of year though. Otherwise I would expect crowds getting into and out of the park!!!
have a great trip!

Leonardo da Vinci[/FONT]
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:15 PM   #848
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Not sure where you are coming from, but if you are on the west side of the park, anywhere near say Fresno or Mariposa, you might want to try heading into the park via Chowchilla Mt Road.
Great Idea! I had forgotten about that road. My Dad always took that route when we would go to Yosemite to avoid fees (and this was when it was cheap to enter Yosemite). It is interesting that Google Maps shows it ending just prior to the golf course, which is not the case.

We are coming from Sonora, so it would be faster to take 140 into the park. If we don't get on the road early, it might take longer to go 140, simply because of the line.

Of course the way the fire is going, a lot of people may cancel their holiday plans in Yosemite.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:01 PM   #849
coarsegoldkid
Studly Adventurer

Chowchilla Mtn road is the good way. Pick it up from Fish Camp if coming in from Fresno. Holiday traffic is a long line.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:35 PM   #850
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
i went through the 120 gate a few years ago at 5 am and the road was not closed , just no one working in the gate
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:55 PM   #851
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by MookieBlaylock View Post
i went through the 120 gate a few years ago at 5 am and the road was not closed , just no one working in the gate
Yeah, if you pass through after hours it is free. Supposedly, they will charge you on the way out if you don't have a receipt, but I have never been in that situation. I've only been in and out after hours, or came in on Chowchilla Mtn and out the same way.

Maybe I'll test it this time. Since this is my wife's first ride away from home, I made reservations at the Yosemite Bug Hostel/Resort for Friday night. We may get to the 140 gate before they open Saturday, and will exit via 120 in Lee Vining during regular hours after tooling around Yosemite Valley for a while. Saturday night we'll be in Lee Vining, and Sunday we'll ride some of the fire roads between Lee Vining and Birdgeport before heading back over 108. Hoping to do some hiking/fishing over there too.

If I hang the fish off the back of my top box, it should be well smoked by the time I get home.
Old 08-23-2013, 03:32 PM   #852
coarsegoldkid
Studly Adventurer

Cycle World Adventure Ride

A friend of mine mapped the routes for this event. Some of you guys may be interested in this:
http://www.cycleworld.com/adventure-...ierra-edition/
Old 08-23-2013, 03:42 PM   #853
theGrinch
SNF Dream Riders

Oddometer: 1,932
Cool2

Quote:
A friend of mine mapped the routes for this event. Some of you guys may be interested in this:
http://www.cycleworld.com/adventure-...ierra-edition/
A little steep for me, can I just follow the dust? JK, looks like a great ride if you got the $$$.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcvance View Post
Who's the clueless noob?
theGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:28 PM   #854
coarsegoldkid
Studly Adventurer

Yeah, I can't afford to do that either even if it does include a room at the resort. I would love to watch riders at specific challenging section. Many of the participants on 600 pound adventure bikes have the talent I could only dream of having on my light weight bike. But that's what I get for getting into this dirty bike game so late in my riding career.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:12 AM   #855
Mr B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 482
Maybe next year if I'm around wouldn't mind giving this a go, maybe come up with a team or sorts!!!
Is there a drinking competition?

Leonardo da Vinci[/FONT]
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote