ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2013, 09:16 PM   #871
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,612
Unless they are designated 4wd, most of the roads are big bike doable. My experience in the aftermath of a fire on the Stanislaus, the fire equipment tears up the roads, so hard to say what they will be like.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:09 AM   #872
Mr B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 481
Any word on riding conditions, how much snow is up there now, last I was home it was pretty thin, but it seems the Sierra's got a bit of snow these past few weeks.
I am spending my last night in Baghdad, and barring any unforeseen "Events" we begin my a journey back to the land of El Pollo Loco and other more familiar "things", looking to get some riding in the next few weeks before I start working again!!

Leonardo da Vinci[/FONT]
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:38 AM   #873
coarsegoldkid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 521
Bruce, I done a bit of riding in the southern Sierra NF with local guys. They are a great bunch and know the area well. Two weeks ago it was dry. The SNF above Bass Lake has recently received some snow. I'll be up there this Saturday doing a Texas Flat Campground clean up as well as some riding too. I'll know more then. The SNF on the Miami Trails OHV area will also have snow in the higher and shady areas.
Remember the April 25 weekend. I'll be leading a group of BMW riders in my annual NorCal Meets SoCal in the Middle ride. This is year 7. But the second for off-road stuff. BMW's not required.
http://tinyurl.com/lcy2yhu
http://tinyurl.com/lhgznun
coarsegoldkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:14 AM   #874
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,083
I was just up at Dodge Ridge Ski Resort, and there is very little snow. They are making their own, and grooming onto the slopes. I went all the way to the winter Hwy 108 closure point (the parking lot where snowmobile folks unload) and there was no snow.

Sometimes the Forest Service keeps roads and trails closed when wet to prevent damage, but you could call/email the Mi Wok Ranger Station and ask about the Hull Creek area.

Chowchilla Mtn Road might be another good low elevation spot. If you go, I would love to know if you can still get into Yosemite that way.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 07:24 AM   #875
coarsegoldkid
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post

Chowchilla Mtn Road might be another good low elevation spot. If you go, I would love to know if you can still get into Yosemite that way.
Chowchilla Mtn Rd into Wawona has the gate closed. The last time I was up there the ruts were pretty deep on Summit Rd and ice and standing water on Chowchilla Mtn Rd higher elevations is to be expected.
Today I'm going up into the east side of hwy 41 mountains above Bass Lake to clear downed trees so I'll know more.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:30 AM   #876
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,269
They keep it closed for the winter for that reason! They were grading CMR every year until a few years back. The gate is was put up to keep the tourists taking their GPS navagated in the shortest distance vehicles.. Summit was graded by the logging company that was working the area last year and is really good the last time I rode it. The roads up here will continue to degrade as they try to close them... Where are you clearing ?
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 02:18 PM   #877
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post
The gate is was put up to keep the tourists taking their GPS navagated in the shortest distance vehicles..
And to prevent free entry into the Park?
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:46 PM   #878
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,269
no to stop them from getting stuck in the mud and snow..
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 04:36 AM   #879
Odin69 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Any word on riding conditions, how much snow is up there now, last I was home it was pretty thin, but it seems the Sierra's got a bit of snow these past few weeks.
I am spending my last night in Baghdad, and barring any unforeseen "Events" we begin my a journey back to the land of El Pollo Loco and other more familiar "things", looking to get some riding in the next few weeks before I start working again!!
Hey Bruce, are you back yet? I haven't rode in awhile. I've been busy busting my ass working on an addition to the house since, the end of last summer.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:21 PM   #880
Mr B
Gnarly Adventurer

yep got home late thursday, still trying to adjust to the 11 hour time change!! Kind of Sucks... Getting the bike tuned up so to speak, let me know if you want to do some riding this spring...should be available any weekend....

Leonardo da Vinci[/FONT]
Old 03-17-2014, 10:39 PM   #881
Odin69 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Yeah, that would be good. I need to see if my bikes will start up? I haven't tried cranking them up in awhile. I'll keep in touch.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:51 AM   #882
Odin69 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I started the DRZ up yesterday. I was surprised that it cranked over and ran pretty good. I don't think I've started it since last May? I didn't even winterize it, I just hooked it up to the charger once a month.

Now, I guess I need to go out and ride the thing?
Old 04-14-2014, 09:54 PM   #883
Mr B
Gnarly Adventurer

Looking to ride soon too. thinking about the Sheetiron 300?

Leonardo da Vinci[/FONT]
Old 04-15-2014, 08:18 AM   #884
Odin69 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oh yeah, when's that going on? I've never rode in it, but, I heard it can get pretty dusty?

Are you working right now? The wife has next week off. I might be able to get some time for a small 2-3 day ride somewhere, if you're interested?
Old 04-16-2014, 06:58 AM   #885
coarsegoldkid
Studly Adventurer

Join us

As a reminder to both of you and anyone else I'm leading a dual sport ride on Friday the 25th of April out of Oakhurst. This is the weekend where my BMW riding friends descend upon the area. If memory serves me this is the 7th year. I think I mentioned it to you Bruce and Jason you went out one time with a couple of riders. We are staying in the Comfort Inn in Oakhurst and have booked up around 30+ rooms. The dual sport group will be not more than 6-7 bikes as far as I can tell. A couple of the bikes are large BMW GSs, a couple of 950 KTMs, a DRZ and me on my KTM690. Join the fun. if you decide to join us and wish to stay a night there mention that you are with the BMW group for a discounted rate. I plan to stay there Thursday, Friday and Saturday. As for all the other riders, they will be riding pavement.