Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2010, 04:39 PM   #16
KaiWE OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Regarding the Gulf color scheme _ been in love with that since I saw the LeMans Movie with Steve McQ the first time, and a Ford GT40 in Gulf racing livery is one of the prettiest thing I can imagine (except for the dream I had one night featuring Keira Knighley in Gulf colored body paint - ooops, did I say that out loud )

Was thinking about doing something similar with the goose, but it's kind of "been there, done that", so I figured it was time for something new this time, but then again, who knows...

To get that Gulf color scheme right, you kind of need a front fairing to get enough orange in, so that you don't end up with a mainly skyblue bike - and since my plans for "The Espresso Fetcher" does not include a fairing...

Well, I'm in for a couple of busy days in the garage during the week end, so I'll keep you posted on the progress - more pictures to come to morrow...
Old 06-25-2010, 04:51 PM   #17
Cogswell
Spudly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,772
Nice looking project, and I LOVE that gas tank too.

Mike
The good thing is, your damn motor can't read. If it says oil on the container, it's pretty much OK to dump in there.... ED.
Cogswell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 04:00 PM   #18
KaiWE OP
Adventurer

Well, made some progress today:

Got the taillights adapted, mounted the turn signals, started to fit a hugger, sorted out most of the electrics - all 'n all a good day in the sun !

Looking forward to a long day working in the sun tomorrow!
Old 06-26-2010, 07:30 PM   #19
radguzzi
The Journey is the Reward

Oddometer: 5,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiWE
Well, made some progress today:

Looking forward to a long day working in the sun tomorrow!

Some sweet there Kai... Glad to see that you are not cutting the rear frame sections.

Nice project with a very cool look...

Best,
Rob

Member: AMA - USCRA - MGNOC
radguzzi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 02:09 PM   #20
KaiWE OP
Adventurer

Progress...

Ditched the "H-tube" for shorter exhaust:

Got the taillight mounted properly, polished up the headers, and painted the silencers - and went for a totaly different paintscheme:

Moved all fuses & relays to a box under the tail, mounted a battery box, sorted out the mounts for the tailend and hugger:

Bled the brakes, got some "Prova"-plates and took her for a spin:

She purrs like a cat, handles like a dream, and with a few minor touch-up details, she's good to go
Old 07-12-2010, 03:17 PM   #21
notarex
Can U taste the waste?

Oddometer: 1,213
This bike is beautiful- Love it!

...I liked the orange better

1963 CA95

2006 RUCKUS

To boldly go where no Ruckus has gone before...
notarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 03:29 PM   #22
blaine.hale
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,757
Absolutely fantastic build. I like the orange a lot, but I also love how subtle the black is.
You have a great taste in bike styles and color schemes. I'd definitely buy this bike from you in a heart beat, given the chance
1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
2013 Husqvarna Terra TR650
blaine.hale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 03:32 PM   #23
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiWE
]

Wow.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 04:22 PM   #24
gusanito
Mindless Wonderer

Oddometer: 231

It's gorgeous! I've been sitting here drooling for a few minutes. Who makes that tank?

George
gusanito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 04:45 PM   #25
KaiWE OP
Adventurer

Thank you for your kind words, guys!

First priorities has been to get the tech stuff sorted, and the basic overall style decided. Now its time for the real fun, cleaning her up and adding the details :)

So in a week or two, she'll be looking her best...

And I'm still a bit indecisive about the choice of colors - there might be a return to brighter colors, but the thought behind the black was to get some "Classic Bike/Cafe Racer" references in there. With the brighter colors, and the modern features on the bike like alloy wheels,modern tyres, USD fork and dual headlights I felt like I was moving to far into street fighter territory, kind of - unlike the BMW which got away with the bright Gulf-colors since the bike was a all-out-classic-cafe-racer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusanito

It's gorgeous! I've been sitting here drooling for a few minutes. Who makes that tank?

George
That's done by John Williams at the Tank Shop, Scotland (www.thetankshop.com). Amazing work at very pleasant prices - knew his work from before, I have one of his tanks on my DBD34 as well...
Old 07-12-2010, 05:28 PM   #26
MrBob
Feelin Groovy

Oddometer: 6,942

This is what the T-5 looks like intact. They are kind of rare but things like crappy switches and 16" wheels were not helpful.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:33 PM   #27
vicster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 806
Wonderful bike. I just can't get used to the bottom line of the seat going up at the end. Don't know if it's just too unGuzzi or what.
Nevertheless, I bet it'll be a sweet ride.
vicster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:39 PM   #28
Ze Red Baron
Adventure seeker

Oddometer: 437
this is absolutely beautiful work KaiWe.
www.ars-natura.com
Ze Red Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 03:03 PM   #29
KaiWE OP
Adventurer

The End is Near :)

Well, time to sum this up, kinda...

Found out that the original Guzzi brake pump was no good with the new calipers, and went for the one that came with the fork setup. That brought along a string of other changes, since the original Guzzi stuff contained trottle, switchgear and brake pump in one unit. So off with the old stuff and on with a trottle grip from Tomaselli, switchgear from Domino and of course the brakehandle/pump from Tokico. Changed all the stuff on the "clutch side" as well to match the other side better (handle from a 1100 sport, switchgear from Domino)

The instruments is mounted on a aluminium plate from Stein-Dinse, and I "recycled" the top of the Guzzi dash with the instrument lights to fill up the space behind the fly screen. Thought that looked better than to use LEDs in the alu-plate...

Decided that the tank needed some colors "to tie the front and back together" designwide, and ended up with black behind the Guzzi logo with some orange pinstripes. The black area is actually reflective foil from 3M, giving a quite cool effect in the dark

I'm quite content with the result so far, and here's a few pictures showing the finished result:

As you can probably can tell from the last picture - I'm quite content with the result so far

Still some cleaning up to do, but I guess that I'll leave that until the winter sets in - the riding season is short here in Norway, and I intend to get the most out of whats left
Old 08-15-2010, 03:14 PM   #30
Jasper ST4

Oddometer: n/a
Nicely done!

But it looks like a 250 when you're on it.