Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2010, 12:47 AM   #1
Aidan1150 OP
Call Me The Breeze

Oddometer: 271
From sea to shining sea, an Irishman rides coast to coast across the USA.

Back in October 2008 Sgt Bilco on UKGSer suggested riding the US from San Francisco to Baltimore in June 2010. I signed up right away. This is the story of our ride.

The intervening eighteen months passed all to quickly and it was time to get the bike ready for shipping. By now there were 12 people signed up with 11 bikes for the trip. 2 Irishmen, 1 Scot, 8 Englishmen and 1 English lady riding pillion with her husband.

Saturday April 10 was the day that my 2001 R1150GS had to be loaded for the short hop to Stratford-upon-Avon in England to join the other bikes to be containerised for the journey across the Atlantic.

Why, after a long hard winter, on the day you become bikeless for four weeks, does the weather take a turn for the better. Ah well, no pain no gain I guess.

I am a transport manager (despatcher) for a large transport company, so getting the bikes to the UK for shipping was simply a matter of loading them onto one of our trailers. I was also transporting a 1200GSA for Lloyd, the only other Irish guy on the trip, so I had organised a little truck to collect his bike on the Friday and take it to our warehouse ready for the Saturday departure.

Lloyd's bike being collected;

With Lloyd's bike already loaded onto the trailer

It was time to get mine loaded too;

Ready for the off;

The next time I will see my bike will be Tuesday June 8 in San Rafael, California. Or will it?....................

From Sea to Shining Sea. A four week US coast to coast ride in June/July 2010. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...hlight=shining

Don't speak unless you can improve on the silence.

Aidan1150 screwed with this post 06-25-2010 at 01:04 AM
Aidan1150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:35 AM   #2
SR1
Back in S. Korea

Oddometer: 4,373
Interesting. What's your route?
Old 06-25-2010, 04:29 AM   #3
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,815

Old 06-25-2010, 05:39 AM   #4
Botta
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16

I'm in!
Botta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 07:16 AM   #5
dammitdave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
In for this one....

Aidan, please flesh this one out or I'll be late for work!
...what this really wants is an outgoing, gregarious, driven, type A; an extrovert, Alpha male P.T. Barnum salesman type with little time left to examine his life or to worry about knocking things off the coffee table with his tail....John Burns

I got the right gal when gas WAS $19 cents a gallon she's has put up with me for 58 years...AK Bike
dammitdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 07:52 AM   #6
Steve Glenn
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 681
Old 06-25-2010, 08:23 AM   #7
garfield001

Oddometer: 12
I'm in too, especially as I want to see what he says about me as I'm on the trip....
garfield001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:43 AM   #8
Aidan1150 OP
Call Me The Breeze

Four weeks is a long time to be without your bike especially when the weather is good. If ever there was a reason needed for having a second bike.

Monday 7 June saw me board a flight from Belfast to London, then on from there to San Francisco where my daughter Natasha would be waiting to collect me.

Looking down on the pacific northwest from 32,000ft.

The plan was that the bikes would be delivered to Moto Marin in San Rafael on Tuesday morning to be unloaded from the container, the rest of the group would fly in later in the week and we would depart San Francisco on Sunday 13 June. Natasha and I would have a week riding found SF and the Bay area.

But there was a problem.................
The container was to enter the US via Houston Tx, then be transported to Oakland in readiness for delivery. It had arrived in Oakland alright, but it was then discovered that it had not cleared US customs in Houston which raised lot's more questions.

Anyway, to make a long story short, after a couple of days running around Chris (Sgt Bilco) eventually managed to have the box released from Oakland on Friday afternoon and delivered to San Rafael.

On arrival we opened the container, all excited at finally getting our bikes.

Oh shit.

From Sea to Shining Sea. A four week US coast to coast ride in June/July 2010. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...hlight=shining

Old 06-25-2010, 08:48 AM   #9
mcc66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201

Looking forward to following this.
mcc66
Michael
mcc66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:53 AM   #10
abqcookie
Serow Siren

Oddometer: 1,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by garfield001
I'm in too, especially as I want to see what he says about me as I'm on the trip....
+1

I'll catch up when I'm back from CO. Gotta go.....
abqcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:44 AM   #11
Monsieur
Varadero Journeyman

Oddometer: 214
Looking forward to this
Monsieur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:05 AM   #12
SebRain
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Wicked

I'm already lovin' it! Subscribed!

Keep it coming...
Old 06-25-2010, 12:01 PM   #13
Aidan1150 OP
Call Me The Breeze

Filling in the details

As mentioned earlier my initial plan was to have my bike on the Tuesday so that Natasha (my daughter) and I could ride around SF and the Bay area. With that plan now scuppered we just did touristy stuff round SF itself then hired a small car to visit the Winchester House in San Jose.

We had a great time together doing all the touristy stuff as well as just hanging out together eating & drinking. Well, we are Irish after all.

One of Natasha's friends even offered me his 916SPS Ducati, but unfortunately it was only a single seater.

Anyway, back to the main story.

Lloyd's GSA and my 1150 arrived in the UK on Monday where Chris had them offloaded and securely stored ready for loading into the container on the Wednesday.

When the container arrived on Wednesday Chris loaded all the bikes and strapped them all down ready for their Atlantic crossing.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:12 PM   #14
Aidan1150 OP
Call Me The Breeze

Opening the container in San Rafael, Ca was an exciting and nervous time. Having not seen our bikes in four weeks we were itching to get started with our coast to coast trip, but that was somewhat tempered by what we would see upon opening the container doors.

At first it looked like carnage. My 1150 and Chris's 1200GSA were lying on their sides, as were a few of the other bikes. On initial inspection none of them seemed to be too bad, so we set about getting them unloaded.

My sidestand was bent to a hideous angle. Instead of tucking up under the footrest when not in use it was like this;

I had no option but to cut it off with a disc cutter and have it repaired along the road somewhere. The sidestand on Chris's GSA was also bent, but not to the same extent as mine. The couple of other bikes which had fallen over had luckily only sustained very slight damage where they had rubbed up against each other.

Upon reflection, it may have been a better idea to have Chris's bike and mine stowed and strapped on their main (centre) stands, but we'll never know.

We were now ready for the off on Sunday morning.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:36 PM   #15
IslandMonkey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
This should be good, looking forward to it.