Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2010, 01:36 PM   #16
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,221
that was great! After a little editing I think the ABC might have a new motto.

edit: hey jenna, answer your phone!

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:44 PM   #17
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,542
Simple.
Durable.
Comfortable.
Sensible.
Tough.
Attractive.
Sustainable.
Repairable.
Smooth.
Fast.
Thoughtful.
Quality.
Subtle.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 06:39 PM   #18
danedg
Horizontally Opposed

Oddometer: 6,196
Today...
The guy ridin' this....

Spent most of his afternoon, fussin' with this...

Because these bikes exude such a powerful influence....we let him play with another kids' toys.....

Me?
I've only ever ridden this....

...and I'm OK with that.....
danedg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 06:54 PM   #19
kadesean
eyesuck

Oddometer: 970
Because there's not a modern bike out there I could replace my airhead with and feel good about it.

This might be my new favorite thread!

1992 BMW R100GS
2005 BMW R1200GS
kadesean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 07:15 PM   #20
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaka
I like leaving my gloves on the cylinders to stay toasty when I gotta take a whizz. I like never having cold feet. I like riding with one foot slightly in front of the other when they're both square on the pegs. I like weak electrical systems. I like ugly and difficult to clean cast wheels with stupid valve stem placement. I like the best fairing ever made----still. I like worthless rear disc brakes. I like taking the front wheel off to get the rear wheel off. I like annoying the cognoscenti with loud pipes. I like having trouble finding tires. I like envious glances. I like the underseat storage. I like blowing up alternator rotors. I like people thinking I have a clue. I like taking off a a 350 mile run with full tanks, no money, no credit cards and no worries about arriving at the end of the day. I like watching it turn over 100K. I like people being surprised it's 27 years old. I like smooth motors. I like being able to swap out main jets in a parking lot faster than I can drink half a Coke. I like hanging out in the shade and waiting for the people standing around looking at the bike to go away so I don't have to talk to them. I like popping a float bowl and having a little gas to get the campfire going. I like being able to understand everything. I like feeling elite. I like low centers of gravity. I like prima donna mechanics. I like getting pulled over by a CHP on an 1150 and asking him if he wants to try the real thing. I like weird highly un-ergonomic switch gear. I like being able to start it with a nail if you lose the key. I like being able to tear into any system with just the decent factory tool kit (except the sucky screwdriver and pliers). I like sleeze eBay sellers and low quality repro parts. I like mirrors that let me keep track of my arms---always. I like the factory air pump on it's own frame brackets. I like sidecovers held on with a rubber band. I like going to the Suzikawayamahoppy dealer and not being in the computer. I like slapping on Volvo parts that work better and cost less. I like dual plugging and still only having to buy 4 plugs. I like changing my oil too often. I like drama ridden gurus. I like stainless brake disks. I like 7 marque emblems---stock. I like having room to improve things. I like the factory cable lock in the frame tube to hide the dope. I like two owners manuals for the same model with different wiring diagrams. I like antique fuses so deeply burried it takes 20 min to get down to them. I like mystery stripes on the headlight glass. I like big fuel tanks. I like more metal than plastic. I like funky little push greasers. I like manual petcocks. I like having a stuffed animal strapped on top and not feeling stupid. I like loud horns. I like people coming up at rest areas and asking you to take their picture because they figure you're ok. I like cam surfaces built into the swing arm to break the axle free when pulling the wheel. I like having it spread around the yard and bumming the landlady who figues it'll be there a month and then putting it back together and riding away in 3 hours. I like esoteric aftermarket parts a PO fitted that can't be found anymore.

I like riding back-in-the-day...

This.

Plus:

It's the first bike I ever rode on in my life. I rode it to work today.

It's the first bike that my kids rode on in their lives.

It's the only bike I've ever won any road races on.

It's a part of me, even though it's a machine.

It satisfies my soul, ride after ride.

The sound it makes at 5K RPM in an uphill sweeper is sacred music.

Even after 16 years, it still feels perfectly right.

Geez, I love my Airhead!

Steve McQueen

Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 07:33 PM   #21
danedg
Horizontally Opposed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigger Al
This.

Plus:

It's the first bike I ever rode on in my life. I rode it to work today.

It's the first bike that my kids rode on in their lives.

It's the only bike I've ever won any road races on.

It's a part of me, even though it's a machine.

It satisfies my soul, ride after ride.

The sound it makes at 5K RPM in an uphill sweeper is sacred music.

Even after 16 years, it still feels perfectly right.

Geez, I love my Airhead!

Aw C'mon....throw a pic or 2 in there!
Old 06-25-2010, 07:37 PM   #22
ChromeSux
Plated and screwed

Oddometer: 1,368
I love em, easy as hell to work on, pretty dependable for old stuff but damn all the oil leaks, 3 of them sitting here and all 3 leak, one leaks more than any old Harley i ever had.
Road my R75/6 to the post office today put a big smile on my face, till i got home and discovered it had sprung a new oil leak, i think i slowed the leak way down by doing some jury rigging with a O ring and a short piece of rubber hose, still gotta love it.

Maybe its just my own personal little gremlin nagging at my fun because i HATE oil leaks.
ChromeSux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 07:37 PM   #23
matteo
HPM

Oddometer: 498
My first bike was a R60/6 that I bought for $1000 when I was a poor grad student. I paid too much for it. It was always having problems. I was fixing it with a screw driver and a set of pliers. I was always pissed off at it. I was hooked.

I flirted with Ducatis and Guzzis since. Currently still have a Guzzi. Airheads are me. They fit my personality. I have an hexhead and it is a more capable bike. I can live without the other bikes. I can't image not having an airhead for the rest of my life.
matteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 07:53 PM   #24
JonO
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
My 1974 R90/6: easy to work on for a non-mechanically inclined individual such as myself (I've done everything from the simple--oil changes--to the more complex--changing out a transmission); and after any mechanical/electrical work I have done, the thing starts right up and runs perfect! Truly "Simple by Choice." This is the only motorcycle I have owned in the last 20+ years that I have truly bonded with. I think it has to do with the fact that by working on it in depth and riding it, a kind of intimacy is formed. Kind of hard to explain, especially to a non-motorcyclist, but you guys/gals understand
From ADVrider 9th Annual RDV

1974 BMW R90/6 (RIP)
JonO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:05 PM   #25
coastranger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
over 40 years riding, over 20 different bikes, the airheads will probabally be my last

my current ,just finished 85 R80RT is my 3rd airhead, and I love it, its got a whole 73 miles since "restoration"
I have no plans on getting rid of this one, I love it

simple yet elegant

I think Oak summed up riding bmw's best in a recent airmail

1) Id rather be riding my motorcycle and thinking of god then sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle
2) Four wheels move the body; 2 wheels move the soul
3) Life may begin at 30, but doesn’t get real interesting until 75mph
4) Midnight bugs taste just as bad as noon time bugs
5) Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas to think straight
6) A bike on the road is worth 2 in the shed
7) The only good view of a thunderstorm is in your review mirror
8) Young riders pick a destination and go: old riders pick a direction and go
9) When your riding lead don’t spit
10) Catching a yellow jacket in your helmet can double your vocabulary
11) If you cant get it going with bungee cords and duct tape, its serious
12) Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out the window
13) I’ve never seen a motorcycle parked at a psychiatrists office
coastranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:08 PM   #26
Renner
combustophile

Oddometer: 1,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce
Simple.Durable.Comfortable.Sensible.
Tough.Attractive.Sustainable.Repairable.
Smooth.Fast.Thoughtful.Quality.
Subtle.
It's a mechanics' bike.

Renner screwed with this post 06-25-2010 at 08:29 PM
Renner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:13 PM   #27
danedg
Horizontally Opposed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renner
It's a mechanics' bike.

You're milkin' that...right?
Old 06-25-2010, 08:20 PM   #28
fyr
iRoast Coffee

Oddometer: 1,265
This might be my new favorite thread![/quote]

+1

I just picked up my airhead in April. It was a long, long search but the right one came up at the right time...
Ive been on bikes for 25+ yrs. Ive had a bunch and the only one that HAD a "hold" on my soul was my first- 79 Honda Twinstar.. It's the only bike I have kept... It doesnt run now but it was what I learned on. It'll go to my son (it ll run by then )
Every other bike that came and went didnt really measure up to that twinnie. Then a mate came by with his R65. I knew of the "airhead" in my Ninja days (early 90's) but dismissed them as quirky old mens bikes. You know the type, men with big white beards, funny hats and drinking weird beers I couldnt pronounce.
But something happened. I was getting tired of new fangled, faster, user un-servicable technomarvels that cost an arm and a leg. Also riding a bike should stir the soul. Shit it should stir the soul just staring at it and I was missing that in the newer bikes. (Hinckley Bonneville excepted)
I also started drinking "weird" beer.
Time was right.
My 1978 R100S was sold to me by one of those bearded type's. A very nice man who loved this bike. He'd been on bikes for 45+ yrs. He cant ride anymore as old bones wont allow. He was sad but knew it was time to let it go. He wanted the bike to go to a good home. We spoke for 2 hrs before we shook hands. I wanted to speak to him. Learn more. Let him know that I was keeping this bike. It was going to be taken care of and not flipped for a profit...
There were teething problems, but I fixed them. I had to as money is tight for these things. So I go about using it as a commuter and grocery getter.
The real test was this past weekend. Just shy of a 1000 kilometers in 3 days on some marvelous VT and NY roads.
The bike ran like a dream. Everything I could have wanted and expected from this bike was given to me with no reserve.
This bike stirs my soul (and others as people always come up to say hi and mention their own airhead stories).
So I will keep this bike and good fortune willing my son will own it.

84 R65
Gonzo- 08 Ural G/U, 77 R100S, 01 Bonnie, 2x KLR's, Wee, Ninja's, CBR's, yadda yadda...

fyr screwed with this post 06-27-2010 at 06:11 AM
fyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:25 PM   #29
Renner
combustophile

Oddometer: 1,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by danedg
You're milkin' that...right?
my buddy, gummikuh tipping

I'll add that he bought that from a friend of mine for $800, pulled it out from under a tarp behind a wood pile, spent a day getting it roadworthy and uses it as his commuter.
It does 100+ mph (indicated) easily. who can trust those speedometers

He continues to fix odd issues (sump thread repairs in this case) without having it down for maintenance more than a day.

That's the sort of bike mechanics love.

Renner screwed with this post 06-25-2010 at 09:09 PM
Renner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:25 PM   #30
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastranger
over 40 years riding, over 20 different bikes, the airheads will probabally be my last
Same here,although in my 40 years on the road I might have more than 20 bikes.I had an airhead 20 years ago,but didn't ''get it''.I preferred my Norton at that time.My airhead is the most satisfying bike to ride and work on...sometimes I don't understand the logic of some things about it,but it comes right in the end.I sold a 10 year old bike to get a 20 year old bike...and really pleased that I did.
motu is offline   Reply With Quote