That's a fine looking bike.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:50 PM   #32
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,401
What's not to love?

edit: After that I figure I owe ya'all this:

The '72 R75/5 I should never have sold. 1000cc nikasil /5 motor with electronic ignition, late model 32mm bings (r65 donor) tubeless on Lesters, leather Corbin (G-d's own motorcycle saddle ) Progressive Suspension shocks, billet triple blah blah blah...
Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:00 PM   #33
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 65,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by matteo
I can't image not having an airhead for the rest of my life.
I have two bikes that I will never sell.

Interestingly, I bought one of them from you.

One's an 84R100CS and the other is a 67 R60/2.

So fine. So fine indeed.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 07:16 AM   #34
Caddy82rats
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaka
I like leaving my gloves on the cylinders to stay toasty when I gotta take a whizz. I like never having cold feet. I like riding with one foot slightly in front of the other when they're both square on the pegs. I like weak electrical systems. I like ugly and difficult to clean cast wheels with stupid valve stem placement. I like the best fairing ever made----still. I like worthless rear disc brakes. I like taking the front wheel off to get the rear wheel off. I like annoying the cognoscenti with loud pipes. I like having trouble finding tires. I like envious glances. I like the underseat storage. I like blowing up alternator rotors. I like people thinking I have a clue. I like taking off a a 350 mile run with full tanks, no money, no credit cards and no worries about arriving at the end of the day. I like watching it turn over 100K. I like people being surprised it's 27 years old. I like smooth motors. I like being able to swap out main jets in a parking lot faster than I can drink half a Coke. I like hanging out in the shade and waiting for the people standing around looking at the bike to go away so I don't have to talk to them. I like popping a float bowl and having a little gas to get the campfire going. I like being able to understand everything. I like feeling elite. I like low centers of gravity. I like prima donna mechanics. I like getting pulled over by a CHP on an 1150 and asking him if he wants to try the real thing. I like weird highly un-ergonomic switch gear. I like being able to start it with a nail if you lose the key. I like being able to tear into any system with just the decent factory tool kit (except the sucky screwdriver and pliers). I like sleeze eBay sellers and low quality repro parts. I like mirrors that let me keep track of my arms---always. I like the factory air pump on it's own frame brackets. I like sidecovers held on with a rubber band. I like going to the Suzikawayamahoppy dealer and not being in the computer. I like slapping on Volvo parts that work better and cost less. I like dual plugging and still only having to buy 4 plugs. I like changing my oil too often. I like drama ridden gurus. I like stainless brake disks. I like 7 marque emblems---stock. I like having room to improve things. I like the factory cable lock in the frame tube to hide the dope. I like two owners manuals for the same model with different wiring diagrams. I like antique fuses so deeply burried it takes 20 min to get down to them. I like mystery stripes on the headlight glass. I like big fuel tanks. I like more metal than plastic. I like funky little push greasers. I like manual petcocks. I like having a stuffed animal strapped on top and not feeling stupid. I like loud horns. I like people coming up at rest areas and asking you to take their picture because they figure you're ok. I like cam surfaces built into the swing arm to break the axle free when pulling the wheel. I like having it spread around the yard and bumming the landlady who figues it'll be there a month and then putting it back together and riding away in 3 hours. I like esoteric aftermarket parts a PO fitted that can't be found anymore.

I like riding back-in-the-day...
So right so true !!!

I love that

For me BMW was slow cops bikes for old mens...
Maybe I'm older now...
The main problem was a shop customer who ofer me to buy at real cheap price a 79 R100RS
I fall in love with that on off clutch, with those cylinders that "hurt my knees all the time"
This shaft who react on up and down shift
etc etc
But I love this old engine, the easy tune up etc as on old VW's

The second probleme was the first BM act one me like virus and I bought a cheap G/S because the RS was having the engine to repair, and...

now I've got 3 airhead
Caddy82rats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 07:36 AM   #35
matteo
HPM

Oddometer: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa
I have two bikes that I will never sell.

Interestingly, I bought one of them from you.

One's an 84R100CS and the other is a 67 R60/2.

So fine. So fine indeed.
I'm glad that /2 found a loving home. There is always some level of regret when I sell an airhead, except for that first R60/6.

My biggest regret is when I sold my 1950 R51/2. I was restoring it for over 5 years. I had made very good progress, but i was growing impatient as it was super difficult to get certain parts. This was before the internet 2.0. That is a bike I wish I still had.
matteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 07:37 AM   #36
Renner
combustophile

Oddometer: 1,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddy82rats
The second probleme was the first BM act one me like virus and I bought a cheap G/S because the RS was having the engine to repair, and...

now I've got 3 airhead
Aye. Yet another case of BlauMitWeiss syndrome.

No doubt your three are conspiring for a forth even as we speak.
Renner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 07:47 AM   #37
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,204
Quote:
The '72 R75/5 I should never have sold. 1000cc nikasil /5 motor with electronic ignition, late model 32mm bings (r65 donor) tubeless on Lesters, leather Corbin (G-d's own motorcycle saddle ) Progressive Suspension shocks, billet triple blah blah blah...
I've heard a lot of stories from older guys saying 'I had such and such bike way back when and I wish I had never sold it.' Well, I'm listening. I'm on my first airhead I won't sell it. I'm simply not going to let that happen. A large part of a young man's life is not doing things that will cause regret for the old man he'll turn in to. I hope the 60-something Me appreciates all the hard work the 20-something Me is doing!

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 07:53 AM   #38
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,102
All of the above.

I like being able to conclude a p'ing contest with a riceburner rider by saying "OK, that may be, but check back with me in 30 years and we'll compare bikes again" back in the '70's. And saying the same thing in the '10's. And meaning it...

Monteagle, TN, 2003
Old 06-26-2010, 08:06 AM   #39
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,090
I rode progressively bigger Asian bikes from the mid 70's into the late 80's. My Brother was a BMW fanatic and insisted that I ride his R80ST one time. I was not very impressed. Not that fast...quiet...what's the big deal? A few years later I saw a 1971 R75/5 in a Wyoming one horse town for $1200.00. I decided to test ride it...once around the block and I was hooked. The bizarre, clunky shifting old thing did something to me. I guess I likened it to driving an old pickup truck. It was far from pristene but never failed me on the road.

A few years later I happened across a "new" 1973 Long Wheel Base R75/5:

The "Toaster" is still with me and will likely be until I am unable to ride. It now is a 900cc. One thing about the 1970 to later model BMW Airhead's: many parts are interchangable. The 900cc top end was a bolt on affair and appears identical to the 750cc top end.

I built this sidecar tug from numerous year / model bikes.

BMW's are user friendly, parts are easy to obtain, they are easy to work on, and there is a large support network of clubs.
Both these bikes are used for sidecar duty...but that's another story...

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992

bmwhacker screwed with this post 06-26-2010 at 08:16 AM
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 08:08 AM   #40
Caddy82rats
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renner
Aye. Yet another case of BlauMitWeiss syndrome.

No doubt your three are conspiring for a forth even as we speak.
Well... I'm thinking more and more about a side car sometime I'm bored to take the car for some house stuf to buy...

And the 80 G/S had made me dreaming about Paris Dakar about travel, about off road, and still made me dreaming

The 90S had made me dreaming with adverts, with chrome enamels (74 model), with paint etc

But buy... I'm in love and there is not always words for that

Caddy82rats screwed with this post 06-26-2010 at 08:24 AM
Caddy82rats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 08:32 AM   #41
Overdog
'Burghherfer.....

Oddometer: 230
I have NO explanation for "Airhead Love"....it just happens. Unlike most on this site I have only owned ONE airhead....my 74 R90/6 that I bought back in 1986 for $1100. I'm still riding it and still loving it. I can't even imagine ever being without it!

Overdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 08:39 AM   #42
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,525
I'm not interested in having the fastest bike, or the lightest bike, or the prettiest bike, or the one with the most suspension travel.

My eyes have wandered over the years, and I've owed some of those bikes above but when the honeymoon ended (and it always has so far) I always bought another airhead. That's over about 20 years now, and of the 50+ bikes I have owned the only ones I miss a little bit are the airheads.... OK, maybe I never should have sold that Ducati F1 but I don't really want it back now

I don't think there is a way to justify airhead ownership that someone can't put up a decent argument against....

For me, the airhead community, parts support and DIY ethos are part of the equation that keeps me coming back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 10:05 AM   #43
Renner
combustophile

Oddometer: 1,873
caught in the act

a couple buddies (who don't frequent this forum) securing the engine during an R65 resto
Renner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 03:35 PM   #44
Hawk Medicine
Coyote's Brother

Oddometer: 3,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris
All of the above.

I like being able to conclude a p'ing contest with a riceburner rider by saying "OK, that may be, but check back with me in 30 years and we'll compare bikes again" back in the '70's. And saying the same thing in the '10's. And meaning it...

Monteagle, TN, 2003

Or how about:

"Sure, I'll race ya! How about we leave now and race from here to Detroit?"

Hate rots the pocket that carries it.
Hawk Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 05:43 PM   #45
Cordless
Two Wheel Addict

Oddometer: 2,012
My airheads give me the illusion I can work on them. And they let me converse with guys like you.
Cordless is offline   Reply With Quote