Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2010, 11:18 PM   #76
BROTOWNBOY
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Gotta love'm alright, The'll take you to some great places How's the progress on yours Tanami ?

BROTOWNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 04:41 AM   #77
Tanami
Under The Weather

Oddometer: 292
Talking

Much like lego, you can pull em down, pack em up, reinvent em ... a cafe racer, a classic cruiser, an off road race replica, a sensible commuter, a rally hack..they are all way cool. Dreams made (easy) here. Oh and you can send em across country by Australia Post ...(and this should answer your query Brotown)....

prior to discombobulation...

Tanami screwed with this post 06-30-2010 at 05:02 AM Reason: I cant type.
Tanami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:54 AM   #78
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by azcycle
I'm new to the BMW world. I have been drooling over BMW's dual-sport bikes for years but never thought I'd buy one. Now that I've inherited my father-in-law's r65, I'm learning more about old airheads, and love it.

Super easy to work on, even for a newb mechanic. While I haven't taken it out on any long trips (yet) I hope to once I confirm the condition of some of the bits and pieces. I'm not intimidated with the thought of being stranded... it's so easy to work on.

Great looks, a lot of character, and get waves, thumbs-up, and all sorts of comments from other riders. Not that I care about any popularity contest, but it's cool to meet people, and an old airhead is a great conversation starter.
I had a Red '83 R65 with a windshield and bags. It can't quite compete with a sailboat or a dog, but led to far more social success than the other bikes I'd owned.

Eventually had the Simpson painted the same color as the bike. Sold it in '91 as I lived near the ocean and it was rusting to bits.

Toying with the idea of a mid-70's bike, just for fun.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:20 AM   #79
DisplacedYankee
Voyageur

Oddometer: 79
That photo looks straight out of a period catalog.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:15 AM   #80
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,843
Yeah. Nice chinos.
Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 01:16 PM   #81
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce
Yeah. Nice chinos.
Cords. You can't see the cowboy boots....

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 01:49 PM   #82
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by BROTOWNBOY
Gotta love'm alright, The'll take you to some great places How's the progress on yours Tanami ?
Brotownboy

Any links to info on your your bike or a build up thread?

Morningsideforlife
Padmei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 01:50 PM   #83
svejkovat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 856
For most of the reasons already given, particulary Plaka's little tribute on the first page. I recognized some real fellowship in that.

For spending 2200 dollars on it back in '92 and no matter how many other 10 to 20 thousand dollar bikes are in in front of the bar everyone goes out of the way to ask about this one. That always pisses riding friends off.

For being the first bike to get back on after a 10 year absence and never reallly wanting more almost 20 years later.

For being a work of art on its own mechanical merits with barely a hint of embellishment. Among finest examples of "form following function" as I've come across in any design.

Something I can't help noticing though is how poorly treated some of these bikes appear to be. Most, really, of the older airheads I see on the road are dirty and appear poorly maintained. Anyone else ever notice this? I live between Detroit and Chicago. Is it simply that other bikes that are this old are generally in landfills? Does that explain it? Even if they're not well cared for they still keep ticking?

There are a few mentions of the R80s being exceptionally smooth. This is an R65. With all these years of learning my own tuning and maintenance, and getting pretty good at using my DIY aquarium tube and fork oil manometer (thank you advrider!) I almost can't believe that anything could be smoother. At 5000rpm the engine virtually disappears and is only barely noticeable anywhere else in the range. When I first got the bike I paniced on the way to Chicago when I looked down and noticed that the tach was nearly redlined and I hadn't even noticed! I don't know how long I was in fourth, but the engine certainly wasn't letting me know about it.

svejkovat screwed with this post 06-30-2010 at 02:09 PM
svejkovat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 12:09 AM   #84
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by svejkovat
[snip]

Something I can't help noticing though is how poorly treated some of these bikes appear to be. Most, really, of the older airheads I see on the road are dirty and appear poorly maintained. Anyone else ever notice this? I live between Detroit and Chicago. Is it simply that other bikes that are this old are generally in landfills? Does that explain it? Even if they're not well cared for they still keep ticking?
[snip]
I found my first airhead rotting away in a garage behind a pile of old doors. I knew it's full ownership history but the guy wouldn't sell it for weeks. I finally went to work on his wife; she wanted money for a new kitchen, he didn't ride it....

I was a poor social worker living in a basement dive and the bike lived out back under a tarp. Over a few years I fixed I up, painted it , polished stuff, rode it all over the country, fixed stuff that needed it, did a LWB conversion, dual plugging, bigger alternator, konis, a 900cc build out, etc. It was a pretty bike in polished aluminum and Back Imron. I had found another and parted it out to myself so I had two of everything. It always ran perfectly.

Then I went back to school. 5 years of no money and less time. Sometimes the bike lived outdoors under plastic. Sometimes I had a corner of a garage. It was an urban commuter in a tough climate. More things got patched than fixed. There was no time for polishing or touching up frame paint. it acquired white rust. I used tractor batteries and Chinese tires. I didn't tour anywhere. The bike got pretty ratty. It (and my finances) never recovered. It went a whole lot faster than it stopped or handled and was a hazard and a half to ride. I eventually parted it out. I really never wanted to see someone else riding what I had built and owned for 20 years.

An airhead is a good poverty riders bike. If it came with a factory toolkit you don't need much else to keep it going. It's easy to understand and wrench for a newbie. It's long lived, long legged and tough---it keeps going even when very worn. It's a two wheeled Volkswagen that burns less gas and picks up more babes. It's got brand cachet even if it isn't real pretty (like a rusty old BMW 2002). You feel OK on it and when you're poor and there are so many tastes you might have but can't afford , it's a bright spot. And it's reliable. When it's all you got to get you there it does.. But you can't take it off the road to do a bunch of restoration because it's all you got to ride.

Plaka screwed with this post 07-01-2010 at 12:17 AM
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 12:24 AM   #85
BROTOWNBOY
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Looks like there's a lot to be happening soon Please do keep us updated
BROTOWNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 03:52 AM   #86
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by BROTOWNBOY
Looks like there's a lot to be happening soon Please do keep us updated
Man, that looks like more fun than Xmas
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:45 AM   #87
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaka
I found my first airhead rotting away in a garage behind a pile of old doors. I knew it's full ownership history but the guy wouldn't sell it for weeks. I finally went to work on his wife; she wanted money for a new kitchen, he didn't ride it....

I was a poor social worker living in a basement dive and the bike lived out back under a tarp. Over a few years I fixed I up, painted it , polished stuff, rode it all over the country, fixed stuff that needed it, did a LWB conversion, dual plugging, bigger alternator, konis, a 900cc build out, etc. It was a pretty bike in polished aluminum and Back Imron. I had found another and parted it out to myself so I had two of everything. It always ran perfectly.

Then I went back to school. 5 years of no money and less time. Sometimes the bike lived outdoors under plastic. Sometimes I had a corner of a garage. It was an urban commuter in a tough climate. More things got patched than fixed. There was no time for polishing or touching up frame paint. it acquired white rust. I used tractor batteries and Chinese tires. I didn't tour anywhere. The bike got pretty ratty. It (and my finances) never recovered. It went a whole lot faster than it stopped or handled and was a hazard and a half to ride. I eventually parted it out. I really never wanted to see someone else riding what I had built and owned for 20 years.

An airhead is a good poverty riders bike. If it came with a factory toolkit you don't need much else to keep it going. It's easy to understand and wrench for a newbie. It's long lived, long legged and tough---it keeps going even when very worn. It's a two wheeled Volkswagen that burns less gas and picks up more babes. It's got brand cachet even if it isn't real pretty (like a rusty old BMW 2002). You feel OK on it and when you're poor and there are so many tastes you might have but can't afford , it's a bright spot. And it's reliable. When it's all you got to get you there it does.. But you can't take it off the road to do a bunch of restoration because it's all you got to ride.
Word.

On ya, Plaka.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 02:53 PM   #88
spartanman
regret minimizer

Oddometer: 966
I came to Airheads about 6 years ago after a long affair with old Harleys and Triumphs. It started when a friend's life -- and motorcycle preferences -- were forever changed by a wayward woman BMW rider. He got hooked on BMWs, and married to a great lady.

As his enthusiasm for horizontal twins grew, he repeatedly suggested I try
one. True to my undying love of older, simple motorcycles, I gravitated toward a 1978 R100S. I rode it for a few years, traded for an early 80s R100RT, but found I missed the S, save the vague steering at
high speeds, presumably caused by air lifting that stunning bubble fairing.

Enter my latest and probably last BMW: a 1977 R100RS. I love everything about this bike. The simplicity. The sound. The feel. The fuel
economy. The fairing!!! It is still a relevant, capable design, a claim few 30+ year old bikes can make. The BMW always seems fresh and ready to pile on the miles.

The Brit bikes are history. And I still own and love my panhead. But the Airhead has my deepest, ever-growing admiration.
spartanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 05:10 PM   #89
Hawk Medicine
Coyote's Brother

Oddometer: 3,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaka
Man-O-Man... You really said it!

Hate rots the pocket that carries it.
Hawk Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 05:27 PM   #90
danedg
Horizontally Opposed

Oddometer: 6,412
What Are You Now?

I was a poor social worker living in a basement dive and the bike lived out back under a tarp.