Old 07-01-2010, 04:54 PM   #91
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by danedg

Mmmm...perhaps a passage from Calvino sums it up:

Cities and Memory, 2

When a man rides a long time through wild regions he feels the desire for a city. Finally he comes to Isidora, a city where the buildings have spiral staircases encrusted with spiral seashells, where perfect violins are made, where the foreigner hesitating between to women always encounters a third, where cockfights degenerate into bloody brawls among the bettors. He was thinking of all these things when he desired a city. Isidora, therefore, is the city of his dreams: with one difference. The dreamed-of city contained him as a young man; he arrives at Isidora in his old age. In the square there is the wall where the old men sit and watch the young go by; he is seated in a row with them. Desires are already memories.

Italo Calvino, Invisible Cities.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invisible_Cities

http://www.amazon.com/Invisible-Citi...8028362&sr=8-1
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 05:40 PM   #92
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartanman
Enter my latest and probably last BMW: a 1977 R100RS. I love everything about this bike. The simplicity. The sound. The feel. The fuel
economy. The fairing!!! It is still a relevant, capable design, a claim few 30+ year old bikes can make. The BMW always seems fresh and ready to pile on the miles.
What he said.

That fairing turns a wobbly old airhead into a cruise missile. "Aerodynamic stability" and stunning good looks that have stood the test of time.

Form and function beautifully wedded like never before in motorcycledom. (except maybe a dustbin Guzzi GP bike...)

imho, ymmv, fwiw,
Bob Loblaw (say it out loud)

Lornce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:13 PM   #93
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaka
Mmmm...perhaps a passage from Calvino sums it up:

Cities and Memory, 2

When a man rides a long time through wild regions he feels the desire for a city. Finally he comes to Isidora, a city where the buildings have spiral staircases encrusted with spiral seashells, where perfect violins are made, where the foreigner hesitating between to women always encounters a third, where cockfights degenerate into bloody brawls among the bettors. He was thinking of all these things when he desired a city. Isidora, therefore, is the city of his dreams: with one difference. The dreamed-of city contained him as a young man; he arrives at Isidora in his old age. In the square there is the wall where the old men sit and watch the young go by; he is seated in a row with them. Desires are already memories.

Poetry, that.

Thanks for the great posts on this subject, Plaka. You've really got a gift for expression.

Steve McQueen

Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:40 PM   #94
JFingers
carpe per diem

Oddometer: 77
Because it's mine

Because my first memories are on the back of the /6, smiling, riding the 5 miles twice a week to one of my dad's appointments, sitting quietly reading for over an hour, then smiling the whole 5 miles back.

Because he sold it to me for a dollar and a cup of ice cream.

Because riding it is the closest thing I've ever had to a religious experience.
JFingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:11 PM   #95
c1skout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
I've had mine for 9 years now, put about 30,000 miles on it and still don't know if I like it...... but I can't imagine ever selling it.
c1skout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:31 PM   #96
Hawk Medicine
Coyote's Brother

Oddometer: 3,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by c1skout
I've had mine for 9 years now, put about 30,000 miles on it and still don't know if I like it...... but I can't imagine ever selling it.
If you double or triple the 3K miles that you ride every year, you'll almost certainly come to love your Airhead!

Airheads are for riders!

Hate rots the pocket that carries it.
Hawk Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:53 PM   #97
110Mike
Lug in my Kop

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Enter my latest and probably last BMW: a 1977 R100RS. I love everything about this bike. The simplicity. The sound. The feel. The fuel
economy. The fairing!!! It is still a relevant, capable design, a claim few 30+ year old bikes can make. The BMW always seems fresh and ready to pile on the miles.
Fuel economy????!!!!???? What fuel economy????!!!!????

But +1 on just about every other response here. Simplicity, ease of maintenance, reliability, cool-factor, attentiongetter, exclusivity, goanywhereability......

Every time I don my leathers I grin
Every time I get on my R100RS, I grin.
Every time I twist that throttle, wether I am doing 40 or 100 mph, I grin.
Every time I switch her off, having arrived at my destination, I grin..... Actually I feel sad that the journey had to end so soon!

She`s like my wife....If I do not ride her regularly, I suffer!

Excuse me. I am off to plant a big kiss on my R100RS and my R80ST.

Mike
110Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 04:14 AM   #98
spartanman
regret minimizer

Oddometer: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by 110Mike
Fuel economy????!!!!???? What fuel economy????!!!!????

Mike
I get mid-high 40s mpg on the R100RS, which is way better than my friends get with their fuel-injected oilheads, a far cry better than the low 30s mpg I get with my panhead, and at least 5 mpg better than my 82 R100RT. So, yes, relatively decent fuel economy for a litre bike with carbs and points.
spartanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 09:43 AM   #99
svejkovat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854
Quote:
Because it's mine

Because my first memories are on the back of the /6, smiling, riding the 5 miles twice a week to one of my dad's appointments, sitting quietly reading for over an hour, then smiling the whole 5 miles back.

Because he sold it to me for a dollar and a cup of ice cream.

Because riding it is the closest thing I've ever had to a religious experience.
The way people have expressed themselves in this thread is interestingly reflective of the bikes. Spare, elegant, unadorned.... functionally beautiful.
svejkovat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 05:58 AM   #100
Jasper ST4

Oddometer: n/a
I was dirt poor when I bought mine. New in 1978. But it was transportation, grocery hauler, a hobby, a sport, all rolled into one. I had no car for the first 5 years. After the initial 600 mile break-in I did all the service work and I wasn't a motorhead.

It has survived to this day, almost 170,000 miles later. A lesser machine wouldn't have made it. If I had the time, space and money, I would buy old neglected airheads and fix em up just for grins.
Old 07-03-2010, 10:27 AM   #101
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,279
Wonderful. This thread keeps getting more better.
Quote:
I was a poor social worker living in a basement dive and the bike lived out back under a tarp.
During the poverty-rider days, I lived under a tarp and the bike got the basement dive...
Quote:
Something I can't help noticing though is how poorly treated some of these bikes appear to be. Most, really, of the older airheads I see on the road are dirty and appear poorly maintained. Anyone else ever notice this?
I tend to leave mine a bit grungy as a social protest on the "buffed leather and polished chrome" HD-clone crowd. The bike is meticulously mantained (retirement budget permitting) but I like to leave the "patina of use" on the bike...

I do give it a toothbrush-and-Gunk cleaning in the Spring of odd-numbered years...
Old 07-03-2010, 11:02 AM   #102
Lornce
Lost In Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris
I tend to leave mine a bit grungy as a social protest on the "buffed leather and polished chrome" HD-clone crowd. The bike is meticulously mantained (retirement budget permitting) but I like to leave the "patina of use" on the bike...

Fight the power.

Old 07-03-2010, 11:21 AM   #103
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,038
takes me to work every day, takes me on trips away, gets knocked about off road but just keeps coming back for more. They are one hell of a bike.

Rob Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 12:27 PM   #104
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,279
Quote:
Fight the power.
...that poor bike has been to the Darkside, and back. A couple of times...
Old 07-03-2010, 03:11 PM   #105
Lornce
Lost In Place

This bike isn't mine but, thought it represented just about the pinnacle of airhead touring development. When the owner began hankering for the greater power of an oilhead I tried to convince him to take it to Chris at CC Products and give it the engine the chassis deserved. Sadly, I believe he sold it.

Some of you left coast guys might recognise the bike. If you do, the next time you see JBW give him a hearty for me. He's a good man.