ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2010, 09:54 AM   #136
Hookalatch
Born Under Bad Sign

Oddometer: 349
Brownsville to Placerville ride

This sounds interesting! How about a little more info. I am not familiar with the dirt road riding in the area. I am having trouble imagining a route that is okay for big bikes but takes 2 days to get from Brownsville to Placerville.

Chuck
Hookalatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:53 AM   #137
LaPorte
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycleman4
Sunday is no good for me. Kid duty. I am going to leave sat at 8:00am from chico. I think I am going to go to Chester via paradise, Philbrook lake, Humbug summit. Returning after food, gas, etc through lassen trail, Ishi forest, Ponderosa way to Cohasset/chico. Let me know if you want to come and we can pick a meeting spot.
Cycleman4

I have Ponderosa Way on my return route to Brownsville. I have not been on Ponderosa Way. That was the last section I was going to pre-ride. Can you tell me what to expect? Is it big bike friendly? Will save me a trip up.

LaPorte
Old 09-29-2010, 07:58 AM   #138
Bob Tosi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,607
The part of Ponderosa way through the Chico section should be OK for a big bike. Dirt and gravel , maybe some junk in the road from last winter that has not been cleared. You may run into problems near Forest Ranch with locked section, though. If you let me know exactly where youre going I might be able to give you a better idea.
When you're lost in the wild and scared as a child. And death looks you bang in the eye, and your sore as a boil, its according to Hoyle to cock your revolver... and die. But the code of a man says "fight all you can" and self-dissolution is barred. In hunger and woe, its easy to blow... Its the hell-served-for-breakfast thats hard........Robert Service
Bob Tosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:28 AM   #139
LaPorte
Gnarly Adventurer

Ponderosa Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Tosi
The part of Ponderosa way through the Chico section should be OK for a big bike. Dirt and gravel , maybe some junk in the road from last winter that has not been cleared. You may run into problems near Forest Ranch with locked section, though. If you let me know exactly where youre going I might be able to give you a better idea.
Bob
Using Garmin Topo map to lay out the route. Unfortunately I can't see any of the references you mentioned. I would be headiing in a northerly direction. I was planning to turn onto Ponderosa Way off of Foresthill Rd. head down and cross the North Fork of the American River. Continue pass the Black Oak Mine and continue to where Ponderosa Way merges with Paoli Lane and then turns into Canyon Way which is along side of hwy 80. On Topo Map it appears to be only 8 miles from where you get on Ponderosa Way to where it merges with Paoli Way.
Thanks Bob for your help.

Tony
Old 09-29-2010, 09:35 AM   #140
Hobbes950
Darth Kitten

Oddometer: 3,740
I Google Earthed it. Looks pretty much like Yankee Jim or better. I can go check it out for you and save you that trip. Are you going to head over Weimar Cross to Placer Hills then Dog Bar? That's a nice little road up to GV.

My Ride Reports
Hobbes950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 11:08 AM   #141
LaPorte
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes95821
I Google Earthed it. Looks pretty much like Yankee Jim or better. I can go check it out for you and save you that trip. Are you going to head over Weimar Cross to Placer Hills then Dog Bar? That's a nice little road up to GV.
hobbes

Thanks for the offer, if you would like to, sure. I don't have a Forestry map that shown Ponderosa Way. The map I bought at Georgetown Ranger Station doesen't show it. Map starts east of Ponderosa Way. I am using Garmin Topo Map and a lot of what your refering to is not on the Topo map, so don't know where those places are. What's GV?

Tony
Old 09-29-2010, 02:26 PM   #142
Hobbes950
Darth Kitten

GV stand for Grass Valley, sorry. You can MapQuest Dog Bar. It is a nice little twisty road. Not sure what your plan was, but it is a nice option.
Let me know what your route is from Ponderosa on. I can ride it in reverse tomorrow. Give me a chance to use up the last of my Scorpions before I mount my new Mefo/606.

My Ride Reports
Old 09-29-2010, 03:25 PM   #143
LaPorte
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes95821
GV stand for Grass Valley, sorry. You can MapQuest Dog Bar. It is a nice little twisty road. Not sure what your plan was, but it is a nice option.
Let me know what your route is from Ponderosa on. I can ride it in reverse tomorrow. Give me a chance to use up the last of my Scorpions before I mount my new Mefo/606.
hobbes

If you have a Garmin GPS I can e-mail you the track! If not the route truns off of Foresthill Rd. onto Pnderosa Way, cross the American river, stay on Ponderosa Way until it changes to Canyon Way. Stay on Canyon Way until 174 and cross over hwy 80. Stay on 174 until Lower Colfax Rd. turn left Stay on Lower Colfax until it comes back on 174. turn left. Go to hwy 49 and hwy 20 take hwy 20 west. Turn right on Britney Springs Rd from hwy 20. Follow Britney Springd Rd. until you come to Pleasant Valley Rd. turn right. Follow Pleasent Valley Rd. to hwy 49. turn left Follow hwy 49 to Moonshine Rd. turn left. follow Moonshine to Marysville Rd. turn left. Maysville rd. to Oregon Hill Rd. turn right. At the end of Oregon Hill you are just about to the end of day two.

If you try it have fun, no dirt just pavement.
I looked at your seggestion of Dog Bar Rd. Looks like it may be fun to put in the ride--Thanks

LaPorte

LaPorte screwed with this post 09-29-2010 at 03:43 PM
LaPorte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 04:38 PM   #144
Hobbes950
Darth Kitten

I have ridden all those roads except for Ponderosa. Looks like a nice route. I will check out Ponderosa and let you know. Dog Bar will be a nice alternative, especially to mix it up if you are already taking 174 on the way out on Saturday.

My Ride Reports
Old 09-29-2010, 05:26 PM   #145
2manyrides
shifty charactor

Oddometer: 1,595
the armchair tour of ponderosa

Here's going down from the foresthill road and going up the other side.

When is this run going on?

and here's my channel...
http://www.youtube.com/user/2manyrides?feature=mhsn#p/u
2manyrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 06:36 PM   #146
LaPorte
Gnarly Adventurer

Ponderosa Way Show

22many

Hey thank you. That was just as good a doing the road live. If you join us on the ride the beer's on me.

By the way were you riding a BSA 441 It looked like one of the newer ones.

Thanks

LaPorte
Old 09-30-2010, 07:45 AM   #147
Bob Tosi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,607
Tony

Sorry for the confusion. Ponderosa Wy is one of those roads I guess that goes on forever. It runs through Forest Ranch and Cohasset on up through Lassen up in my neck of the woods. I didnt quite understand your route.

God I got to stop working long enough to get some riding in.
When you're lost in the wild and scared as a child. And death looks you bang in the eye, and your sore as a boil, its according to Hoyle to cock your revolver... and die. But the code of a man says "fight all you can" and self-dissolution is barred. In hunger and woe, its easy to blow... Its the hell-served-for-breakfast thats hard........Robert Service
Bob Tosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:02 AM   #148
2manyrides
shifty charactor

sorta a 441

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaPorte
22many

Hey thank you. That was just as good a doing the road live. If you join us on the ride the beer's on me.

By the way were you riding a BSA 441 It looked like one of the newer ones.

Thanks

LaPorte
Nope it's a triumph 500, the TR5MX avenger. Plated and with 71,72 BSA parts to complete it's legality. Certainly simular to a 441, but these are the OIF design.
Regarding the ride you guys have coming up, I geuss I'll have to go back and check the whole thread for details, but yes I figured this was a chico area run.
And right, there's alot of "ponderosa ways", ha, seen them all over but they don't connect in a string like one long route!

I like a tasty brown beer with some flavor to it!

and here's my channel...
Old 09-30-2010, 05:05 PM   #149
2manyrides
shifty charactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaPorte
22many

If you join us on the ride the beer's on me.

Thanks

LaPorte
OK, I looked back to see that your date is 23rd+24th. Already have plans for OHV on the 23rd. Might be able to hook up in route on the 24th for dualsport, (and beer) I'll have to watch this thread to stay informed. But on top of that would like to join in and glean some route knowledge about the paradise and east of there next time you do a run up that way.

and here's my channel...
Old 10-02-2010, 09:26 AM   #150
jbcaddy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,206
I am holding out hope that I can find somebody to watch my dad ( he has Alzheimer's) so I can do the ride to Placerville. I can provide yard space for camping and or concrete slab floor in my unfinished house for Saturday night. the house is about 15 minutes S/E of Placerville. JB
jbcaddy is offline   Reply With Quote