ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2013, 07:47 AM   #1486
LaPorte
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
The 530 sold,the 200 sold,Im down to 1 KTM but its a good one!

I put 3 hours on the 2014 300 today and its the smoothest 2 stroke Ive had yet,be even better once I jet it in .
It climbs big granite shelves easily and just keeps pulling away like a 4 stroke.

As far as trees there were lots of them laying all over,we boonie crashed around them as best we could,spent an hour cutting trees off the road just to get Bob's truck up to Rag Dump.

Wind was howling half the day then just petered out to nothing.
I would like to tag along with you sometime, haven't been to RD in a while. Will bring a dirt bike and leave the 610 heavy at home.

LaPorte screwed with this post 11-24-2013 at 07:55 AM
LaPorte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 06:33 PM   #1487
Rockgarden Bob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Yeah it took us a good hour extra to get to Ragdump just clearing the road to get the trucks through, good thing I brought a chainsaw. Brad got to work on his rigging skills chaining up the cut trees to the truck so I could drag them off the road, 1 ton truck in 4X4 low can drag a pretty big tree. Anyway it was great of Howard to let stage on his property, and turned out to be one fantastic day of single track. My group of 7 riders did the Butt Rock trail to the Bruce Rust Memorial, one hell of a trail, it took everything the that myself and the little KDX 200 had to make some sections. Great ride but its defiantly the time of year to get the chainsaw mounted on the bike, we were lucky to have one with us, had to clear several sections of trail from all the blown down trees. Anyway below are a few pics from the ride.

Old 11-24-2013, 09:39 PM   #1488
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,407
Nice pics!

We rode that trail in reverse once,that's a trick.

Involves more hopping up near vertical granite then need be,very scenic but looking over some of the edges is not advised...........
Old 11-25-2013, 07:32 AM   #1489
visualizerent
Raconteur

Oddometer: 191
That Ragdump area looks like some great, scenic singletrack! Nice granite.

We had the same issue with windblown trees on our Saturday singletrack ride here in Nevada County (Burlington Ridge area). Expended lots of effort removing, detouring around em. Up to 7' dia trees down. 9 riders started, 4 of us finished the entire 36 miles...and it took nearly 5 hours! Great day for riding.

OVERLOOKING BEAR VALLEY JUST N. OF HWY 20.
visualizerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:17 PM   #1490
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockgarden Bob View Post
Yeah it took us a good hour extra to get to Ragdump just clearing the road to get the trucks through, good thing I brought a chainsaw. Brad got to work on his rigging skills chaining up the cut trees to the truck so I could drag them off the road, 1 ton truck in 4X4 low can drag a pretty big tree. Anyway it was great of Howard to let stage on his property, and turned out to be one fantastic day of single track. My group of 7 riders did the Butt Rock trail to the Bruce Rust Memorial, one hell of a trail, it took everything the that myself and the little KDX 200 had to make some sections. Great ride but its defiantly the time of year to get the chainsaw mounted on the bike, we were lucky to have one with us, had to clear several sections of trail from all the blown down trees. Anyway below are a few pics from the ride.

Those Granite steps would keep me busy a lifetime.
Hop-Sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:02 AM   #1491
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hop-Sing View Post
Find a good 300 KTM,put a Trials tire on the back and it goes right up everything,all you have to do is hang on.

Your friend Stu rides much like myself,like a maniac on one wheel in other words,Bob commented it was like watching me only on a different bike.
Old 11-28-2013, 05:55 AM   #1492
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by visualizerent View Post
That Ragdump area looks like some great, scenic singletrack! Nice granite.

We had the same issue with windblown trees on our Saturday singletrack ride here in Nevada County (Burlington Ridge area). Expended lots of effort removing, detouring around em. Up to 7' dia trees down. 9 riders started, 4 of us finished the entire 36 miles...and it took nearly 5 hours! Great day for riding.

OVERLOOKING BEAR VALLEY JUST N. OF HWY 20.
Beautiful day to be out indeed! Makes you wish you lived in L.A. with the multitude eh?
Poor bastiges.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:23 PM   #1493
KyoXR
Clouds, Snow, Rain

Oddometer: 622
Just sharing a few pic's from my last ride.

Whiskeytown lake down there:

KyoXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 02:53 AM   #1494
8lives
Runnin on wonder

Oddometer: 1,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyoXR View Post
Just sharing a few pic's from my last ride.

Whiskeytown lake down there:

The Bally road must still be open ? I love it up there,may need to buzz up it or the Bully Choop lookout today,things to do before the snow hits
8lives is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 03:47 PM   #1495
KyoXR
Clouds, Snow, Rain

I was in the understanding that it wasn't going to be closed until the snow blocked it off but I could be wrong?

I need to now find out about this Bully Choop lookout?
I'm looking for new scenery.
Old 12-01-2013, 03:55 PM   #1496
8lives
Runnin on wonder

Oddometer: 1,594
Quote:
I was in the understanding that it wasn't going to be closed until the snow blocked it off but I could be wrong?

I need to now find out about this Bully Choop lookout?
I'm looking for new scenery.
HWY 299 west,to the top of Buckhorn Summit,hang a left take the dirt road and climb up,stay on the main traveled road there are a couple of intersections just look for the most traveled,enjoy the views and just below the lookout is a gate,but you can walk passed it to get to the building,13 miles I believe from 299,or go out passed Igo/Ono until you see the Bully Choop road it will be on the right.I'll be home till wenesday shout if you want a running mate.
8lives is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 04:59 PM   #1497
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hop-Sing View Post
5 of us did another ride in the Ragdump area on Black Friday,I thought I would be fine leaving the knobby on the back of the new 300 and was thrown on the ground at least 3 times to show me my error.
I would assume I would roll and climb over logs like always and a knobby just isnt the same at all. 5 psi Trials tire be mo bettah.

But we did good,we rode 40 miles of trail,drug huge logs around,got lost on some ultra tight trail in a huge grove of small oak trees,still dont know where we were but it was a huge zig-zagging circle that led us back where we started after jumping many logs.

Snow maybe soon will close lotsa trails.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:40 PM   #1498
KyoXR
Clouds, Snow, Rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8lives View Post
HWY 299 west,to the top of Buckhorn Summit,hang a left take the dirt road and climb up,stay on the main traveled road there are a couple of intersections just look for the most traveled,enjoy the views and just below the lookout is a gate,but you can walk passed it to get to the building,13 miles I believe from 299,or go out passed Igo/Ono until you see the Bully Choop road it will be on the right.I'll be home till wenesday shout if you want a running mate.
Thanks for the extra information, I was looking on Google earth and was seeing a few different options of how to get up there (and trying to figure out where there are gates or not) and was wondering which route you take.
I was able to find the road you were talking about on the top of Buckhorn summit, (E County Line rd)
I'm going to look at Google earth again to look at the Igo/Ono route, I can't find the connection there, It might just be the Google earth is not complete.

Unfortunately, I have always had trouble sleeping, I go to bed late and get up late, so I always seem to start my rides at about 1:00pm (If things go smooth) so that needs to be factored in If I am going to participate in a venturing If that still works I'll try to post up If I head out on a ride.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:36 PM   #1499
KyoXR
Clouds, Snow, Rain

*#@*&$# just went out to do some pre-ride checking and gas up and found the rear tire flat ,I'll probably be dealing with that tomorrow instead of any riding...
Old 12-02-2013, 05:56 AM   #1500
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
*#@*&$# just went out to do some pre-ride checking and gas up and found the rear tire flat ,I'll probably be dealing with that tomorrow instead of any riding...
It happens,I headed out on the streetbike sunday,made it about 12 miles to get gas and the battery died along the way,got it bump started and headed back home.