ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2013, 07:31 AM   #1501
8lives
Runnin on wonder

Oddometer: 1,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyoXR View Post
*#@*&$# just went out to do some pre-ride checking and gas up and found the rear tire flat ,I'll probably be dealing with that tomorrow instead of any riding...
Flats do happen,batteries also,it's times like this I wish we had tubeless tires just plug and go.
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:25 PM   #1502
KyoXR
Clouds, Snow, Rain

Oddometer: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8lives View Post
Flats do happen,batteries also,it's times like this I wish we had tubeless tires just plug and go.
I have been looking at Tubliss but I am waiting for them to go on sale or get some sort of discount.
I want some more so to run lower tire pressures, being able to plug them will hopefully be a bonus.
KyoXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:57 PM   #1503
8lives
Runnin on wonder

Quote:
I have been looking at Tubliss but I am waiting for them to go on sale or get some sort of discount.
I want some more so to run lower tire pressures, being able to plug them will hopefully be a bonus.
The couple of bikes I have owned with tubeless were a snap to plug and go,I often carry my plug kit for when I find someone with a flat,I'm pretty good at doing our type of tube tires but it's a lot of work if the flat happens in the dark and rain.Rode up to Canby,CA today to look at a bike I'm interested in,man I need heated grips and a heated vest,it did everything but snow on me going up and coming back,good ride,damn KLR just hums along like its a fine day,I hang on and smile.Potential next bike has a big alternator,heated grips and tubeless tires,the KLR is nice but I need a better winter bike.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:44 AM   #1504
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,326
Quote:
Those Tubliss jobbers sell pretty well,I found a set of ft and rr on ADV in the flea market for 1/2 price. Ive used em only for trailriding but many have used them for dual purpose riding.

I think you still have to carry a tube and be prepared to install it,if a tire gets torn or too big a hole to plug you are stuck.
But usually a simple plug and your on your way.

Ive been told Tubliss is a one man company,hes done pretty well with it.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:45 AM   #1505
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
The couple of bikes I have owned with tubeless were a snap to plug and go,I often carry my plug kit for when I find someone with a flat,I'm pretty good at doing our type of tube tires but it's a lot of work if the flat happens in the dark and rain.Rode up to Canby,CA today to look at a bike I'm interested in,man I need heated grips and a heated vest,it did everything but snow on me going up and coming back,good ride,damn KLR just hums along like its a fine day,I hang on and smile.Potential next bike has a big alternator,heated grips and tubeless tires,the KLR is nice but I need a better winter bike.
KLR cant run heated grips? It should at least run that.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:38 AM   #1506
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,705
Klr should run heated grips without a problem...

I've had them on my 09 from day one and love them, I know the stator is a little stronger on the 2nd gen but first gen should still handle them ok.

On another note, took delivery of an 08 KTM 530 exc-r yesterday.
Time to put my big boy pants on and really learn to ride or get killed trying. Let the farkling and updates begin.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:10 AM   #1507
8lives
Runnin on wonder

I know the KLR will run them I just have put off doing anything else to the bike in anticipation of getting something else and keeping the KLR for more off-road stuff,the KLR does is such a cheap reliable date that I'm spoiled now,so I may just have to get to work doing heated grips and a bigger shield and ride it another winter.I've been looking at V Stroms both the big 1 and the smaller version,and then I stumbled on a R1100gs BMW,no what I really need,but I've always wanted that particular BMW.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:38 AM   #1508
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,705
Heated grips are pretty cheap...

and well worth the investment. I had less than $40.00 in mine and that includes new grips. Should be right in line with a KLR owners budget.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:59 AM   #1509
8lives
Runnin on wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by redog1 View Post
and well worth the investment. I had less than $40.00 in mine and that includes new grips. Should be right in line with a KLR owners budget.
I agree,cheap or lazy on my part,both I believe!
Old 12-03-2013, 09:31 AM   #1510
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by redog1 View Post
I've had them on my 09 from day one and love them, I know the stator is a little stronger on the 2nd gen but first gen should still handle them ok.

On another note, took delivery of an 08 KTM 530 exc-r yesterday.
Time to put my big boy pants on and really learn to ride or get killed trying. Let the farkling and updates begin.
Congrats! As good as you go on that big KLR you should love the 530! Im currently planning out the stripping down of my DR,it mainly does short local dirtrides so much of the traveling oriented stuff is coming off.
Centerstand,luggage mounts,fat Corbin seat,huge stock muffler,rear rack,a pile of stuff will be deleted. Im currently thinking about putting the stock 530 muffler on it. 5lbs vs 13 lbs and still a quiet muffler.

Just by chance,by the sheer luck of the draw, I still have the 4.2 gallon Safari tank sitting here that fits 08 to 11 530,and the Seat Concepts seat as well. I have nothing here they fit anymore.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:53 AM   #1511
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 366
Quote:
Low pressure in rocks is best reason to run them. Been running TuBliss f&r on four bikes for several years now. On a recent ride had a slow leaker and assumed it was the seal so just kept inflating it (good exercise), shoulda taken the time to run some water over it and look closer. Saw a bit of Slime on floor next day, traced it to a rock cut, plugged it and rode it all day at Burlington Friday. It is fine.

If you don't need to run Slime for thorns in your area, I would carry it in your pack instead of the tire. Then if you get a sidewall gash too big for a couple of plugs, you might be able to patch it from inside with a truck tire patch. Can't do that if sealant has been installed.

I do carry an extra tube on multi-day rides or far from home by myself, but otherwise I depend on heavy duty zip ties to secure tire on rim after total failure. And tire changes take less than 10 minutes with no chance of pinching a tube!
StuInFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 05:21 PM   #1512
HAPPYTRAILSINC
single track rider

Oddometer: 941
Quote:
Quote:
\

its all good till u get a nice 1-2 inch slice in the sidewall then ur fucked been there twice!

and then its a real pain in the AZZ to remove that stuff to put in a tube cause u cant patch/plug a sidewall

I went back to cheap tubes

***Tuned for a broad power band with the torque curve set just under the wheel spin threshold!*****
HAPPYTRAILSINC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 05:30 PM   #1513
8lives
Runnin on wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPYTRAILSINC View Post
\

its all good till u get a nice 1-2 inch slice in the sidewall then ur fucked been there twice!

and then its a real pain in the AZZ to remove that stuff to put in a tube cause u cant patch/plug a sidewall

Stuff happens when you head out, I used to travel offshore on my sailboat when the waves grew and you were far from shore all you could do is hope nothing happened,sidewalls do slice but not often,you head out and hope nothing serious happens,but hey it was safe I'd shun motorcycles like I do golf and find something else that scares me once in a while.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:02 PM   #1514
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPYTRAILSINC View Post
\

Ive sliced one dirtbike tire too bad to plug in my whole career of dirt riding,so I wouldnt avoid running tubliss because of that. The Tubliss holds the tire so tight to the rim that the chances of denting a rim go way down.
But mainly the traction and smooth ride available with low pressure tubliss spoils a person.

I left the knobbie on the back of my new 300 and went riding,after 2 rides its coming off and the Trials Tire with Tubliss is going on,too much of a dis-advantage on logs/rocks/technical stuff in general.
Less crashes,less chance of getting stuck,smoother ride.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:21 AM   #1515
KyoXR
Clouds, Snow, Rain

Oddometer: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuInFH View Post
If you don't need to run Slime for thorns in your area, I would carry it in your pack instead of the tire. Then if you get a sidewall gash too big for a couple of plugs, you might be able to patch it from inside with a truck tire patch. Can't do that if sealant has been installed.

I do carry an extra tube on multi-day rides or far from home by myself, but otherwise I depend on heavy duty zip ties to secure tire on rim after total failure. And tire changes take less than 10 minutes with no chance of pinching a tube!
That's good advice on keeping the slime in the pack,
I don't really like using slime, I've had it plug up my valve stem so I couldn't put any air in it and I don't think it has ever actually worked on any bicycle I've ever used it in. (never used it on a motorcycle), what it does do for me is make a damn stinky mess every time I have to patch a tube.(because...it never seals )

I always keep a spare tube on hand after that one incident...
KyoXR is offline   Reply With Quote