ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2013, 07:37 AM   #1516
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyoXR View Post
That's good advice on keeping the slime in the pack,
I don't really like using slime, I've had it plug up my valve stem so I couldn't put any air in it and I don't think it has ever actually worked on any bicycle I've ever used it in. (never used it on a motorcycle), what it does do for me is make a damn stinky mess every time I have to patch a tube.(because...it never seals )

I always keep a spare tube on hand after that one incident...
Ive never been much of a believer in Slime either,I sold boxes and boxes of it when I worked in a bicycle shop long ago,didnt seem like a good success ratio for it,and once its flat there's no patching it.

But now there's a huge amount of mt bikes going tubeless,They use Stan's sealant and many claim it works well.

The Tubliss settup for dirtbikes simply works too well not to use,5 psi(or less) with no tire spinning on the rim means I can climb stuff with 0 wheelspin even at lower speeds if momentum is lost. Its a cheater deal and I like it! So far just on the back for me.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:41 AM   #1517
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8lives View Post
Flats do happen,batteries also,it's times like this I wish we had tubeless tires just plug and go.
Guys do clean and seal rims with a certain kind of super silicone sealant,thus having tubeless pluggable tires. A friend did this on his Triumph Tiger and it was sealed and tubeless for years that way. You can google tubeless tire conversion and he shows how he does it.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:31 AM   #1518
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by redog1 View Post
I've had them on my 09 from day one and love them, I know the stator is a little stronger on the 2nd gen but first gen should still handle them ok.

On another note, took delivery of an 08 KTM 530 exc-r yesterday.
Time to put my big boy pants on and really learn to ride or get killed trying. Let the farkling and updates begin.
Alright,whats the news on the 530? Any chance to get it out before the big freeze rolled in?

Im glad I got a few last rides in in the mountains before snow and ice hit.
Old 12-08-2013, 01:54 PM   #1519
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,769
Haven't had a chance to ride it...

I want to sooooooo bad. Been home sick. I was going to get the registration and insurance taken care of Friday but been down with a nasty cold/flu. This week I'll get that taken care of and start getting some things ordered for it. Start with a couple of items, cam chain tensioner (if it hasn't been done yet) and a skid plate. Need to put a trial tech 100w stator in it for peace of mind, I like heated grips Lot's I want to do.
Prior owner didn't know much about the mods that had been done to it and I haven't found anyplace where the jetting was noted. Time will tell.
Old 12-08-2013, 02:46 PM   #1520
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by redog1 View Post
I want to sooooooo bad. Been home sick. I was going to get the registration and insurance taken care of Friday but been down with a nasty cold/flu. This week I'll get that taken care of and start getting some things ordered for it. Start with a couple of items, cam chain tensioner (if it hasn't been done yet) and a skid plate. Need to put a trial tech 100w stator in it for peace of mind, I like heated grips Lot's I want to do.
Prior owner didn't know much about the mods that had been done to it and I haven't found anyplace where the jetting was noted. Time will tell.
Might be good to check with Bob,sometimes he has stuff in boxes that can be just what you need.
I found a FMF quiet muffler and a pipe guard for my new 300 over there.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:30 AM   #1521
Foot dragger
singletracker

Not many people riding lately with the cold snap.

But,there is a ride New Years Day,must be about the 5th annual Ridgeriders New Years Day Poker run and barb-Q.

You can either ride or just show up and meet and greet folks,its on private property up 32 between Chico and Forest Ranch.

Bob will be along with real directions and what ever.
Old 12-14-2013, 05:15 AM   #1522
Rockgarden Bob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Thanks Brad. This is always a great time, great riding, food , and drink. Bring the kids, wives, everyone is invited. Here's the back of last years flyer with directions, we dropped the price this year to $25. Anyone needs more info just email me, bob@ironmandualsport.com

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-14-2013, 05:58 AM   #1523
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,769
Wink May have to jump on board with this...

We'll have to see how the weather plays out. Itching to get out and ride. I may have to go out and see what kind of trouble I can find in the snow and ice today or tomorrow.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:50 PM   #1524
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
New years Day ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockgarden Bob View Post
Thanks Brad. This is always a great time, great riding, food , and drink. Bring the kids, wives, everyone is invited. Here's the back of last years flyer with directions, we dropped the price this year to $25. Anyone needs more info just email me, bob@ironmandualsport.com

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]
All off road ? how much ground do you cover ? The Montesa 4rt is complaining.
Hop-Sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 02:51 PM   #1525
Rockgarden Bob
Gnarly Adventurer

It's all single track trails on private property, always get a few trials bikes, the Montesa will be right at home.

[IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-14-2013, 08:27 PM   #1526
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Any of you guys make it out the last few days?? I'm curious what elevation the snow/ice is at. I know it was really really low but I have been slaving away the last 2 weeks and it seemed to be fairly warm down here in the valley all week. May try to get out tomorrow and get some miles in somewhere away from the snow I hope. Thanks!
This is my WIFE, here are my BIKES, and these are my STORIES: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897188
BanhXeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 11:06 PM   #1527
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
sounds like fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockgarden Bob View Post
It's all single track trails on private property, always get a few trials bikes, the Montesa will be right at home.

[IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]
I think I want to try this out. If the weather is reasonable I would like to join in. Maybe my son will come also. gas range maybe low but we would have a good time just meeting everyone and getting a little bike time in.
Hop-Sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 01:12 AM   #1528
KyoXR
Clouds, Snow, Rain

Oddometer: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanhXeo View Post
Any of you guys make it out the last few days?? I'm curious what elevation the snow/ice is at. I know it was really really low but I have been slaving away the last 2 weeks and it seemed to be fairly warm down here in the valley all week. May try to get out tomorrow and get some miles in somewhere away from the snow I hope. Thanks!
I don't know at what level the snow and ice melted to but the day after it snowed I headed up Colyear Springs Rd and made it up to 6000ft elevation before I ran out of time and light and the snow was still only about 3.5 inches deep or less.

@Rockgarden Bob , about how late do you guys usually end up staying up there? my body won't let me do morning, I was thinking about maybe heading up just to meet a few people and get a feel for the ride spot later in the day?

KyoXR screwed with this post 12-15-2013 at 01:18 AM
KyoXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 05:40 AM   #1529
Rockgarden Bob
Gnarly Adventurer

For the New Years Poker Run, guys usually start to leave around 3:00 and everyone's usually gone by 5:00. If you just want to show up to meet some of the guys, maybe have some food and drink 12 - 1:00 is always a good time.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:15 AM   #1530
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hop-Sing View Post
I think I want to try this out. If the weather is reasonable I would like to join in. Maybe my son will come also. gas range maybe low but we would have a good time just meeting everyone and getting a little bike time in.
If your bike can do 4 miles it can make the loop,a person can refuel as much as they want.