ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2013, 10:03 AM   #1531
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,774
Bluhduh Icy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanhXeo View Post
Any of you guys make it out the last few days?? I'm curious what elevation the snow/ice is at. I know it was really really low but I have been slaving away the last 2 weeks and it seemed to be fairly warm down here in the valley all week. May try to get out tomorrow and get some miles in somewhere away from the snow I hope. Thanks!
I didn't get very far, about a mile down Jordon Hill rd. Hit a patch of ice about 75 yards long going downhill around a curve. I went about half way trough it and decided this was stupid. There was a truck stuck on the uphill side of the road and blocking about a third of the width of the road right where I needed to be going down and up. I knew if I kept going it I'd have a heck of a time coming back up and around that curve. Last thing I wanted to do was slide off of the edge of the road. As it was I had a tough time of getting turned around and getting across the road to a point where I could get going again. It was SLICK and almost lost my footing a couple of times walking the bike under power across the road to a dirt spot. Worked up a good sweat doing so. Oh well, scratched that itch a little. Ended up riding down to Lake Oroville to check out the level. Way low.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:24 AM   #1532
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by redog1 View Post
I didn't get very far, about a mile down Jordon Hill rd. Hit a patch of ice about 75 yards long going downhill around a curve. I went about half way trough it and decided this was stupid. There was a truck stuck on the uphill side of the road and blocking about a third of the width of the road right where I needed to be going down and up. I knew if I kept going it I'd have a heck of a time coming back up and around that curve. Last thing I wanted to do was slide off of the edge of the road. As it was I had a tough time of getting turned around and getting across the road to a point where I could get going again. It was SLICK and almost lost my footing a couple of times walking the bike under power across the road to a dirt spot. Worked up a good sweat doing so. Oh well, scratched that itch a little. Ended up riding down to Lake Oroville to check out the level. Way low.
Ice sucks. Thanks Brien. Was planning on heading to the lookout as I figured Concow rd would be pretty well snowed in where its actually fun to ride. If its Icy on Jordan Hill then that about does it. I got front and rear suspension done on the big bike and only got to ride 1 mile home between jobs yesterday. May have to just avoid the higher elevation and go play around with that instead
This is my WIFE, here are my BIKES, and these are my STORIES: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897188
BanhXeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:34 AM   #1533
NorCalLanesplitter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Let's go riding today!!!!

My name is Aaron and I just got my plated Husky out of the shop! I know of County land in Orland area with a fun enduro course that also goes through the flood plain you've always wanted to ride. Im thinking today as soon as it warms a little. I live in Chico and really need to get on my bike!. Please feel free to leave a reply or email me. Thx
NorCalLanesplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:39 AM   #1534
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalLanesplitter View Post
My name is Aaron and I just got my plated Husky out of the shop! I know of County land in Orland area with a fun enduro course that also goes through the flood plain you've always wanted to ride. Im thinking today as soon as it warms a little. I live in Chico and really need to get on my bike!. Please feel free to leave a reply or email me. Thx
Welcome Aaron. Just replied to your email. Talk to ya later
This is my WIFE, here are my BIKES, and these are my STORIES: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897188
BanhXeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 02:26 PM   #1535
redog1
KLR650-2009

Welcome aboard Aaron,

Sorry I missed this, been working in the garage.
Ok, here's a few pics for those interested,

My new to me 2008 KTM 530exc-r the Monday a couple of weeks ago when I picked it up.

Getting ready to head out for a short ride yesterday.

Where I turned around after the voice of reason spoke to me. F---ING slick. I was standing at the back end of the stuck truck that I had mentioned in the above post.

Stayed to the far right in that little bit of unpacked snow to get some momentum going.

Back home at the stables. Short 35 mile ride but scratched that itch a little.
Blue KLR going up for sale this coming spring.

We need a lot more winter, May have to spend some time doing some road riding.
Old 12-15-2013, 02:51 PM   #1536
LucasLeader
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Nice Brien! How does it feel having half the weight with twice the power and modern suspension?

I think I'm going to be riding the poker run at Shasta on New Years. If that doesn't happen I'll probably try and make it to the Ridge Riders event. I just mounted a new knobby on my WR after riding on a trials tire for over a year. I also need to get the suspension sorted. The fork seals are blown and the shock makes a spongy bubbly noise when I bounce the rear end. I think it's time to have the suspension done.
LucasLeader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 04:28 PM   #1537
Rockgarden Bob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Brien, you are going to love that bike!!!! Can't wait until the next time we ride together. Of course you know where to get any needed parts or service.
Old 12-15-2013, 04:47 PM   #1538
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,761
Quote:
Yikes that's a lot of ice for just heading down Jordan Hill road,Im not big on ice at all and would have been happy to turn back where you did.
Upper Honeyrun Road was or is closed due to ice I heard.

Howard got about a foot of snow up at Rag dump,then it was 10 degrees each morning for 3 days,so lots of ice/frozen snow up that way,the spots that are shady all day stay nicely frozen for a good while.

Sometimes I wander over to the West Side and cruise around on the bike to get a ride in during winter,not many cars or people in general over there.
If anybody has a weekday open shoot me a PM.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:04 PM   #1539
redog1
KLR650-2009

Thanks guys,

Good to here from you Lucas, I've got some suspension work to do on the 530. I'm open to input from you KTM guys. Here's how it felt, Slow speed sucked, felt like a jack hammer and frankly, the KLR front suspension feels a lot better. At higher speeds it felt pretty good, especially if I launched it off of a rock and got a little air. The bike has some serious grunt and I definitely have to hold on a little more than with the KLR. I like it.
I have 0 experience setting up suspension. Adjustments on the KLRs are minimal at best. I do have the owners manual and plan to use that to get a starting point. We'll see how things go once I get started on it but I may be picking some of your minds before it's all over with if you don't mind.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:10 PM   #1540
redog1
KLR650-2009

Hey Bob...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockgarden Bob View Post
Brien, you are going to love that bike!!!! Can't wait until the next time we ride together. Of course you know where to get any needed parts or service.
Let me know when you get the items I ordered. I was going to order a CCT from you but found I already have the dirt tricks tensioner in it. I will be getting into it to see if the oil jet, oil pump gears and water pump impeller has been updated. Yeah I've been doing some reading. I also need to check the valve clearance. Shoot, took me a week to figure out the start up sequence for it. The first week I had it I couldn't get it started without running the battery down.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:25 PM   #1541
8lives
Oops I fell again

Oddometer: 1,729
Hey I went and bought heated gloves,I like um and the KLR doesn't seem to mind the extra juice going to keep my hands warm,on my ride home from work last Sunday night there was ice and snow in lotsa places in Redding and it was dark,my hands were warm
1986 XT350 For going places the Wee shouldn't be!
I still see the world through KLR eyes
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 06:28 PM   #1542
8lives
Oops I fell again

Hey Foot Dragger do you still have your 1000 V Strom,I found a 2003 with 50000 miles on it,the price is good and it will give me a better road bike,curious how your experience has been with the 1000 I believe you had 1.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:32 PM   #1543
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Good to here from you Lucas, I've got some suspension work to do on the 530. I'm open to input from you KTM guys. Here's how it felt, Slow speed sucked, felt like a jack hammer and frankly, the KLR front suspension feels a lot better. At higher speeds it felt pretty good, especially if I launched it off of a rock and got a little air. The bike has some serious grunt and I definitely have to hold on a little more than with the KLR. I like it.
I have 0 experience setting up suspension. Adjustments on the KLRs are minimal at best. I do have the owners manual and plan to use that to get a starting point. We'll see how things go once I get started on it but I may be picking some of your minds before it's all over with if you don't mind.
About the easiest thing to do with the suspension is to make sure its set right in the middle of it's adjustment,that's generally where the factory sets it. Check the manual and see how many clicks there are and count out to a middle setting. That usually isnt bad and at least is a place to start anyway. It would be good to know if the suspension has already been worked on/springs changed,etc.
KTM's that new should have pretty nice plush forks and shock.

Of course too much pressure in the tires and no amount of suspension tuning will work.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:36 PM   #1544
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8lives View Post
Hey Foot Dragger do you still have your 1000 V Strom,I found a 2003 with 50000 miles on it,the price is good and it will give me a better road bike,curious how your experience has been with the 1000 I believe you had 1.
I did have one,those things will run for a really long time and make great torque. I sold it for one reason or another and have a 1250 Suzuki Bandit now.

The Bandit is more the backroad cornering device then the Strom was,its just set up more for that,yet it still makes a good all day bike.

Those Stroms seem to rack up lots of miles with no problems.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:48 PM   #1545
8lives
Oops I fell again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
I did have one,those things will run for a really long time and make great torque. I sold it for one reason or another and have a 1250 Suzuki Bandit now.

The Bandit is more the backroad cornering device then the Strom was,its just set up more for that,yet it still makes a good all day bike.

Those Stroms seem to rack up lots of miles with no problems.
Thanks,I am looking at Wee's but this 1000 showed up and I like cheap and used,putting about 15000 a year on the KLR at this point and it would be nice to have something a bit more street like,I'm also looking at a r1100gs with 83000 miles,but the Strom will be cheaper to fix if I need to,but I'm Jonesin hard for a big GS. I hate it when I start looking for another bike,choices are good but I want them all.