ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2014, 09:12 AM   #1591
8lives
Runnin on wonder

Oddometer: 1,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookalatch View Post
Did you (or anyone else) go out 36? If so how was the road after the Saturday rain? I wish it would rain some more but since it is not going to for a while might as well take advantage. They are predicting Redding to be in the upper 70's on Wednesday and I plan to take the day off an get a nice pavement ride in. Probably make a 36-299 loop via Hwy 3 or FS1. Also open to other ideas if anyone else wants to join me.

Chuck
I left Redding around 10:00,me on the V strom my kid on the KLR,headed out 299 was gonna eat at Irene's in Hayfork,logged in the Hayfork area for years and still see old friends once in a while,anyway my kid got cold about the French gulch turn off so I sent him home,ice in the shady spots on Buckhorn,so I decided to hang a left and head towards Bully Choop on County line RD,went a ways up and just ran into some thin patches of snow,I haven't had the pleasure of picking the Strom up by myself yet so I decided to head back to 299 and went home,I usually ride by myself but yesterday I guess the cooler temps and ice on 299 were just to much,still had a nice short ride my intention was 300 miles,ended up in the garage trying to mount the Cycra hand guards on the strom,That was Sunday!
I see the world through KLR eyes
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:16 AM   #1592
8lives
Runnin on wonder

Oddometer: 1,621
Quote:
Did you (or anyone else) go out 36? If so how was the road after the Saturday rain? I wish it would rain some more but since it is not going to for a while might as well take advantage. They are predicting Redding to be in the upper 70's on Wednesday and I plan to take the day off an get a nice pavement ride in. Probably make a 36-299 loop via Hwy 3 or FS1. Also open to other ideas if anyone else wants to join me.

Chuck
I go back to work Wednesday but May see if I can take it off,Gotta use up some vacation and that may be a good day to do it,I'll let ya know.
I see the world through KLR eyes
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:23 AM   #1593
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Quote:

Chuck
I'm off all day Wednesday and have been wanting to make that loop. I am battling a cold though right now so I will have to check back with you tomorrow to see which way this thing turned.
This is my WIFE, here are my BIKES, and these are my STORIES: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897188
BanhXeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:04 PM   #1594
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,430
I havent really worked in 5 years or so,Im pretty open this week as well to get out on a ride, I was up at Ragdump yesterday on the DR,a few icey spots getting there but not bad. Lots of trails open as guys have been chain sawing all the trees that fell in the big wind storm a while ago.

I wonder if Covelo is a problem to get to,lots of ice or ?
Old 01-13-2014, 09:39 PM   #1595
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
I havent really worked in 5 years or so,Im pretty open this week as well to get out on a ride, I was up at Ragdump yesterday on the DR,a few icey spots getting there but not bad. Lots of trails open as guys have been chain sawing all the trees that fell in the big wind storm a while ago.

Road up to 5500ft on fh7 last sunday and just barely started.to see ice. We were chasing daylight to get home as it was and I really didnt want to go down on the bigger bike so we turned around there. M4 was really dry as its on the sunny side of the hill the weekend before. The pass to covelo gets to 6800ft but is in the sun more or less. We actually went into stonyford and took the main rd past faut springs and could only get to 3600ft before we hit no go around ice on the road.
This is my WIFE, here are my BIKES, and these are my STORIES: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897188
Old 01-14-2014, 09:27 AM   #1596
Hookalatch
Born Under Bad Sign

Oddometer: 310
Wednesday ride

Quote:

If you don't have to work tomorrow why not get your big Suzuki out and join in on a ride. A 36-299 loop has been purposed but I am open to other suggestions depending on who can go.

BanhXeo may go but is fighting a cold. I got a backache. Do what i am going to do- take a pill and go have fun anyway. 8 lives- if you have excess vacation are you going to waste a mid-January day like this?

Hope you all can go. I'm halfway between 36 and 299 so a Red Bluff or Redding start would be fine with me.

Chuck
Hookalatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:41 AM   #1597
Hookalatch
Born Under Bad Sign

Wednesday ride

There is probably a way to display the actual map but I don't know how to do it. This is a link to the weather underground website that will plot forecasted temperatures along a route you specify for the departure time you specify. This example is for leaving Red Bluff at 10am.

http://www.wunderground.com/roadtrip...dir.t3=12%3A00

Hard to believe its mid-January!

Chuck
Old 01-14-2014, 11:10 PM   #1598
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

probably out

This cold is wrecking me pretty good. I cant see myself justifying a day trip with double shifts back to back to back this weekend. Ill pm you if it changes early a.m. but I am pretty tore up right now
Old 01-15-2014, 06:57 PM   #1599
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
If you don't have to work tomorrow why not get your big Suzuki out and join in on a ride. A 36-299 loop has been purposed but I am open to other suggestions depending on who can go.

BanhXeo may go but is fighting a cold. I got a backache. Do what i am going to do- take a pill and go have fun anyway. 8 lives- if you have excess vacation are you going to waste a mid-January day like this?

Hope you all can go. I'm halfway between 36 and 299 so a Red Bluff or Redding start would be fine with me.

Chuck
I rounded up a buddy and we did a 40 mile singletrack ride today(wed) It was pretty perfect,I didnt go down but said buddy went down twice on shiny wet ice at 5000'. The rest of the trails were in great shape and Im getting the hang of the new 300XCW. It will climb anything I point it at it seems,engine will pull smoothly from near 0 rpm.
Im impressed and its the best suspended,best running 2 stroke Ive had.
Too much fun!
Old 01-16-2014, 11:13 AM   #1600
Hookalatch
Born Under Bad Sign

Ice Skating

Quote:
I rounded up a buddy and we did a 40 mile singletrack ride today(wed) It was pretty perfect,I didnt go down but said buddy went down twice on shiny wet ice at 5000'. The rest of the trails were in great shape and Im getting the hang of the new 300XCW. It will climb anything I point it at it seems,engine will pull smoothly from near 0 rpm.
Im impressed and its the best suspended,best running 2 stroke Ive had.
Too much fun!
Yesterday started out to be a fantastic ride. Since no one was joining me I decided to take the Ditch Grade Road to Platina vs. Riding down to Red Bluff. Ono is less than 20 miles from my house but the temperature increased 20 degrees in less than 20 miles into the 70's. Stopped to remove a layer. The Ditch Grade Road gets interesting after Ono.

The road doesn't change in elevation much, it is just cut into the side of the mountain and follows every undulation. As usual, I only saw 1 other vehicle until hitting Hwy 36.

Old 01-16-2014, 11:42 AM   #1601
Hookalatch
Born Under Bad Sign

Ice Skating

From Platina the temperature decreased but it was still in the 50's when I stopped at the Old Wildwood Store site to relinquish some fluids. I was still a happy camper at this point.

I was riding along the Wildwood Road having a great time. It was 57 degrees and I hadn't seen any water on the road for miles. I don't ride much over the speed limit but I do like to test my limits a little in the cornors. I hit the one pictured below at about 50 miles per hour. My slide started just outside of the view of the below picture. Both wheels and I am pretty sure my foot at some point, a huge slide going downhill on a turn. The initial slide was followed by some fishtailing and about 50 yards of scary braking to come to a stop.

Once stopped I swallowed my butthole and took a deep breath. My boys said adios to the outside world and were sucked up so far in my abdomenm I probably won't see them again until summer. I still can't believe I didn't go down.

I found out the ABS does work on my front wheel. I also found out even though ABS was working as designed, when you are going downhill on ice on a motorcycle having the ABS cycle the brakes ends up causing skids. It took me 50 yards to gingerly stop the without engaging the ABS. I wanted to go back up the hill and see my skid marks but the ice was so slippery it was difficult to walk on it.

I continued on after that carefully riding thru smaller icy patches until I hit this area. Couldn't go back and couldn't get out. Somehow I can often turn a regular ride into an adventure. I did get out after waiting a while to most of the ice to melt.

Old 01-16-2014, 11:51 AM   #1602
Foot dragger
singletracker

YIKES! I would have hated to flatside my 1250 Bandit on ice! Glad you didnt go down,its sketchy out in the mountains on street bikes this time of year.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:10 PM   #1603
oobus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Chuck,

You need adult supervision, next time I'll join you. Glad you didn't go down out there by yourself!

Matt
oobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:42 PM   #1604
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,715
Holy crapola!!!!

Glad you saved it and didn't go down. Winter riding, unpredictable, error to the side of caution. Serious ass pucker going on I'm sure.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:34 PM   #1605
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by redog1 View Post
Glad you saved it and didn't go down. Winter riding, unpredictable, error to the side of caution. Serious ass pucker going on I'm sure.
Saving it on ice is a scary thing,as we all know things go away instantly sometimes.

The ice at Ramsey Bar at 5000' was clear as glass mostly,with ruts and bumps and water running over it in spots,seemed easy-ish going slightly downhill over it,then went back to help pick up Keith's bike and went uphill.......whoa..idling with both feet out and barely staying up. Trails were nearly ice free which was nice.