ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-17-2014, 08:28 PM   #1606
8lives
Runnin on wonder
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Shasta County,Calif
Oddometer: 1,538
There is couple spots on the Wildwood road that get me every time,it can be warm and all of a sudden those couple of shady spots well you know what I mean,when I hit um last year I was sure I was going down.
__________________
You can keep your guns,just don't point um at me please!
2013 Wee Strom AKA Miley
1986 XT350 For going places the Wee shouldn't be!
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:37 PM   #1607
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Hop-Sing's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Oddometer: 358
Chuck

You look great, Mr. Calm. Wildwood rd. has some all day shady spots that need respect most all year. But you know the road so that just gives me more of an idea what's out there, and that we should all be extra concerned about riding this time of year. The ice on the dirt roads over the hill on the west side is very bad and I have friends that have had hard crashes. it can be covered with dust and look fine until you are upside down. anyway glad you are fine Chuck.
Did you get a new bike?
In Jan. I like to ride the foothills. Something like ditch grade to Platina store. then down to Ball road South. Or down past bowman to Cannon then South. You can then work the foothills all the way down. Paskenta. to loop back or following 306 and others clear to Hwy 20.
My ABS brakes suck and are my only bitch about my bike. either they don't work properly or I have much more skill then the engineer's expect. Yes I have a switch, and no it is never in the right position when trouble happens. See I ride a dual sport meaning I transfer from street to dirt often. very often. Yes very often.
Anyway I have been lost watching my friend Laia kicking some serious ass down at the Dakar.
Hop-Sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 05:44 AM   #1608
BanjoBoy
Studly Adventurer
 
BanjoBoy's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Northern CA
Oddometer: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanhXeo View Post
Road up to 5500ft on fh7 last sunday and just barely started.to see ice. We were chasing daylight to get home as it was and I really didnt want to go down on the bigger bike so we turned around there. M4 was really dry as its on the sunny side of the hill the weekend before. The pass to covelo gets to 6800ft but is in the sun more or less. We actually went into stonyford and took the main rd past faut springs and could only get to 3600ft before we hit no go around ice on the road.
Really? Didn't know it was that high. Dun did it on mah FJR a few years back, butt it was in June...



Purdie country up thar butt still sum snow 'n slimy areas.



Tried ride'in from HWY 101 ta Quincy, butt could get to Buck's Lake.

__________________
2007 FJR1300
2007 FZ6 (Dirt bike)
BanjoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 09:28 AM   #1609
NorCalLanesplitter
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Oddometer: 13
Anyone up for ride today?

I'm planning on going from Chico to Covelo today. Gonna take M4 to Covelo and FH7 back through Willows. It is a 230 mile round trip and we fuel up in Covelo. I've got a plated Husky 450 that really wants to eat up the last of his rear knobby. Please call me at 206-473-1283 because we have to leave no later than noon. It is a fun ride and I like to go fast! If you're planning another ride today I'm up for options...

UPDATE, we're meeting at Oleander and E. 1st Ave at noon today, going to Willows, Covelo then to Paskenta/Corning back to Chico. Hope to see you!


Aaron

NorCalLanesplitter screwed with this post 01-18-2014 at 11:27 AM
NorCalLanesplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:14 AM   #1610
Foot dragger
singletracker
 
Foot dragger's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: chico,just below rag dump(nor-cal)
Oddometer: 12,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hop-Sing View Post
You look great, Mr. Calm. Wildwood rd. has some all day shady spots that need respect most all year. But you know the road so that just gives me more of an idea what's out there, and that we should all be extra concerned about riding this time of year. The ice on the dirt roads over the hill on the west side is very bad and I have friends that have had hard crashes. it can be covered with dust and look fine until you are upside down. anyway glad you are fine Chuck.
Did you get a new bike?
In Jan. I like to ride the foothills. Something like ditch grade to Platina store. then down to Ball road South. Or down past bowman to Cannon then South. You can then work the foothills all the way down. Paskenta. to loop back or following 306 and others clear to Hwy 20.
My ABS brakes suck and are my only bitch about my bike. either they don't work properly or I have much more skill then the engineer's expect. Yes I have a switch, and no it is never in the right position when trouble happens. See I ride a dual sport meaning I transfer from street to dirt often. very often. Yes very often.
Anyway I have been lost watching my friend Laia kicking some serious ass down at the Dakar.
Laia will be joining you for more domestic bliss when she returns? Its nice you two can work out your varying skill levels on bikes and what not.

There are only about 80 to 120 miles of open singletrack over this way,no point in coming riding over here.
__________________
Some bikes around at times
Foot dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:17 AM   #1611
Foot dragger
singletracker
 
Foot dragger's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: chico,just below rag dump(nor-cal)
Oddometer: 12,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalLanesplitter View Post
I'm planning on going from Chico to Covelo today. Gonna take M4 to Covelo and FH7 back through Willows. It is a 230 mile round trip and we fuel up in Covelo. I've got a plated Husky 450 that really wants to eat up the last of his rear knobby. Please call me at 206-473-1283 because we have to leave no later than noon. It is a fun ride and I like to go fast! If you're planning another ride today I'm up for options...

UPDATE, we're meeting at Oleander and E. 1st Ave at noon today, going to Willows, Covelo then to Paskenta/Corning back to Chico. Hope to see you!


Aaron
Let us know how that road to Covelo is looking,great weather for such a ride though.
__________________
Some bikes around at times
Foot dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:16 AM   #1612
Hookalatch
Born Under Bad Sign
 
Hookalatch's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Cottonwood, CA
Oddometer: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hop-Sing View Post
.... anyway glad you are fine Chuck.
Did you get a new bike?

In Jan. I like to ride the foothills. Something like ditch grade to Platina store. then down to Ball road South. Or down past bowman to Cannon then South. You can then work the foothills all the way down. Paskenta. to loop back or following 306 and others clear to Hwy 20.
No new bike, I just usually don't do local rides with those HUGE saddlebags on the bike. I don't have a name for my bike but when I put those saddlebags on I think of the bike as my fat bottomed girl. At the end of my ice skating excursion I thought wow- this fat bottomed girl really did make my rockin world go round!

I ready for one of the loops you describe. Maybe Matt or someone else will go too. When do you want to go?

Chuck
Hookalatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:24 AM   #1613
NorCalLanesplitter
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Oddometer: 13
Bluhduh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Let us know how that road to Covelo is looking,great weather for such a ride though.
The ride was good except for the black ice I broke my leg on. Road FH7 is for the most part in good condition. Unfortunately, I hit the first patch of black (brown) ice and as I put my foot down to recover I hit dirt with my foot and my right leg went flying behind me and tore off my back turn signal. From then on to the summit you have occasional snow and ice in the areas of the road that is covered by pine tree canopies. New experience for me because I have never gone riding in the mountains in any past January...had I dropped my bike it would have been 10 times worse because I was doing at least 45-50mph. Temps were surprisingly warm and just be careful. We did not ride F4 so I can not tell you how that road is. It was a 240 mile RT from Chico and I still had a great day! No riding for me until I recover.
NorCalLanesplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 04:22 PM   #1614
oobus
Gnarly Adventurer
 
oobus's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: In the orchard
Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookalatch View Post
No new bike, I just usually don't do local rides with those HUGE saddlebags on the bike. I don't have a name for my bike but when I put those saddlebags on I think of the bike as my fat bottomed girl. At the end of my ice skating excursion I thought wow- this fat bottomed girl really did make my rockin world go round!

I ready for one of the loops you describe. Maybe Matt or someone else will go too. When do you want to go?

Chuck
I may be up for something in the next couple of weekends, the dry weather has allowed me to catch up on my farm work. I'll be anxious to put some miles on my "new to me" KTM 690 that I pick up on Tuesday!

Matt
oobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 05:26 PM   #1615
Foot dragger
singletracker
 
Foot dragger's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: chico,just below rag dump(nor-cal)
Oddometer: 12,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalLanesplitter View Post
The ride was good except for the black ice I broke my leg on. Road FH7 is for the most part in good condition. Unfortunately, I hit the first patch of black (brown) ice and as I put my foot down to recover I hit dirt with my foot and my right leg went flying behind me and tore off my back turn signal. From then on to the summit you have occasional snow and ice in the areas of the road that is covered by pine tree canopies. New experience for me because I have never gone riding in the mountains in any past January...had I dropped my bike it would have been 10 times worse because I was doing at least 45-50mph. Temps were surprisingly warm and just be careful. We did not ride F4 so I can not tell you how that road is. It was a 240 mile RT from Chico and I still had a great day! No riding for me until I recover.
Yikes Man you broke your leg and kept going for a while? This riding in the winter with ice is catching some people out.
Best of luck recovering.
__________________
Some bikes around at times
Foot dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:33 PM   #1616
NorCalLanesplitter
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Yikes Man you broke your leg and kept going for a while? This riding in the winter with ice is catching some people out.
Best of luck recovering.
Yes...It was a riding experience that I'll never forget and at the same time learned about Winter riding. I'll keep a tab on this site and hopefully meet some of you soon. Ride safe and have fun!

NorCalLanesplitter screwed with this post 01-19-2014 at 09:41 PM
NorCalLanesplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:48 AM   #1617
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Hop-Sing's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Oddometer: 358
" The ice on the dirt roads over the hill on the west side is very bad and I have friends that have had hard crashes. it can be covered with dust and look fine until you are upside down."

Like I said. this particular road has taken down some of the most experienced riders I know. Sorry you hurt your leg, most people are on the ground before they have time to react. You must be hauling ass to make it out to Covalo and back this time of year after starting at Noon.
Hop-Sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:10 AM   #1618
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer
 
BanhXeo's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Chico, CA NOR-CAL baby
Oddometer: 343
Sorry to hear about your bad ice experience Norcallanesplitter. We found ice on that side of the valley a couple weeks ago at around 5000 ft so we haven't been back since. I caught a nasty bug and finally am back to 100% so my younger brother and I took off from forest ranch, down Garland to Doe Mill, then Powelton up to a logging road I have never had a chance to ride as it has always been gated up pretty good. The views and the road were fantastic. We left after I clocked out at 3pm so I met my Bro about 4pm in Forest Ranch. We caught some great sunsets on top of Skyway headed into Butte Meadows and of course, just when we thought we had seen the last of the ice, my brother found some he didn't see until he was sideways in the air. Tbh its probably better he went down otherwise he could have hit the guardrail or worse yet gone into the creek off the bridge.






I had to overexpose the last one to bring out the detail in the ice and road. It was dark, real dark to be riding mountain roads. This is the bridge right before Bambi Inn. You can see where his foot peg and right handlebar went down. Im standing where the first front tire skid marks started. Looks like he just grabbed the front on ice and put him down quick.
__________________
2013 KTM EXC-F SOLD
2013 BMW F8 GS FOR SALE
SmugMug: http://ktmrider.smugmug.com/
This is my WIFE, here are my BIKES, and these are my STORIES: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897188
BanhXeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:55 AM   #1619
redog1
KLR650-2009
 
redog1's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Magalia, CA./ Butte & Siskiyou C.
Oddometer: 1,678
Glad your brother is ok Jeramie...

Ice is some scary sh--.
Ride safe everyone.
__________________
No, I don't know where that road goes, let's find out!
redog1
redog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:18 PM   #1620
LaPorte
Gnarly Adventurer
 
LaPorte's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Northern Ca.
Oddometer: 455
Yes it is! Especially when you don't see it until it's to late!
__________________
If you don't know where your going don't lead!
LaPorte is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014