ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2010, 09:26 AM   #151
Bob Tosi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,600
so the ride is Oct 23 & 24th? Starting in Brownsville? As long as there is a good beer stop this sounds like fun
When you're lost in the wild and scared as a child. And death looks you bang in the eye, and your sore as a boil, its according to Hoyle to cock your revolver... and die. But the code of a man says "fight all you can" and self-dissolution is barred. In hunger and woe, its easy to blow... Its the hell-served-for-breakfast thats hard........Robert Service
Bob Tosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 12:10 PM   #152
ADVPanzer
Riding this mortal coil

Oddometer: 376
Went down to Ozzies June, 09 with some riding buddies and one of them (with a GPS) suggested we take the "scenic" route back to Redding via Cohasset and Ponderosa Way to 36 (I think it was) I was on my 1150 GS Adv, another guy on a 1150 GS, a F650GS, and a BMW 800 ST . Left Chico about 3pm. After hitting a snowfield that we couldn't get past we decided to turn back. Only two that didn't drop bikes were me and the other 1150GS. Went back to Chico and took the 5. Got home just after 4am. Ponderosa Way north of Cohasset is not for big bikes like the GS. KTM 530/DRZ/650L yes. The guy on the 800 ST had to replace both sides of plastic. The F650 had to replace levers, shifter, plastic, turn stalks.
ADVPanzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 06:39 PM   #153
dakariste
Over and over the hill...

Oddometer: 551
I've been out Ponderosa way many times. There are trails that lead to Butte Meadows that I'm told are not big bike friendly but take less than a hour!

As far as heading to Red Bluff, the area can be uncanny hot in the summer when it is big bike friendly if you leave early in the a.m. No doubt the steep rocky fire roads would test a novice riders skill. And any rain whatsoever can turn the clay parts to slick, slick, mud. There are few riders of dual sports that have the skill to ride wheelies across any sort of snow banks. When I tried to develop that skill on a 650 Dakar I discovered that in warmer weather 200 ft banks of snow are actually slippery rough ice. And it's very difficult to lift a big bike on ice!

When it's dry and you have some skills, this passage is a mildly difficult Adventure ride. There are many ride reports regarding the Ishi Wilderness if you search them up!
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155246
dakariste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:44 AM   #154
Cycleman4
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaPorte
Cycleman4

I have Ponderosa Way on my return route to Brownsville. I have not been on Ponderosa Way. That was the last section I was going to pre-ride. Can you tell me what to expect? Is it big bike friendly? Will save me a trip up.

LaPorte

Sorry LaPorte been gone for a while. The ride from Cohasset to highway 32 is big bike friendly. I have done it many times on a GS and a KTM 950 Adv. The first few miles from the Cohasset end are the roughest. Lots of rocks. Just take it slow. After you cross Deer Creek and start climbing out of the canyon it is great. Hope that helps.
cycleman4
Cycleman4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:26 AM   #155
LaPorte
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycleman4
Sorry LaPorte been gone for a while. The ride from Cohasset to highway 32 is big bike friendly. I have done it many times on a GS and a KTM 950 Adv. The first few miles from the Cohasset end are the roughest. Lots of rocks. Just take it slow. After you cross Deer Creek and start climbing out of the canyon it is great. Hope that helps.
cycleman4
I now see the confusion. I saw your Ponderosa Way off of Hwy 32 and to further confuse the issue it is off of Forest Ranch Rd.
The section of Ponderosa Way I am talking about is Off of Foresthill Rd. not Forest Ranch Rd. Although it looks like it may be a fun ride up there as well.
Didn't know that there was as many Ponderosa Way Rd's

LaPorte
Old 10-06-2010, 10:27 AM   #156
Cycleman4
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Wicked Soda Springs to Auburn

Two week ago my buddy Dave and I did a fun little ride. We rode from Chico to Truckee via hwy 162.
The next morning after a few of these it was tough to get going.
After riding the trails and train tracks west of Donner Lake for 4 hours we needed a break and slabbed it up to Soda Springs for lunch. From there we took a dirt road to Auburn. Not sure the name but it was quite an adventure.
By the way this is my buddy Dave in his new riding gear.

Here are a few more pics of the trip.Dave got a flat. 2hrs stop!!

Great ride but a long day. Slabbed back to chico via grass valley from Auburn.

Cycleman4 screwed with this post 10-06-2010 at 10:37 AM
Cycleman4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 07:47 PM   #157
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVPanzer
Went down to Ozzies June, 09 with some riding buddies and one of them (with a GPS) suggested we take the "scenic" route back to Redding via Cohasset and Ponderosa Way to 36 (I think it was) I was on my 1150 GS Adv, another guy on a 1150 GS, a F650GS, and a BMW 800 ST . Left Chico about 3pm. After hitting a snowfield that we couldn't get past we decided to turn back. Only two that didn't drop bikes were me and the other 1150GS. Went back to Chico and took the 5. Got home just after 4am. Ponderosa Way north of Cohasset is not for big bikes like the GS. KTM 530/DRZ/650L yes. The guy on the 800 ST had to replace both sides of plastic. The F650 had to replace levers, shifter, plastic, turn stalks.
Most of that road is doable at 45-55 mph on my DRZe,it likes big sharp rocks and deep ruts full of silt. We saw a 400 lb(at least) bear way above Cohassett on the way to hiway 32,we were turned back by 6 ft snow banks where the grader had quit.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:00 PM   #158
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycleman4
How about Chico to laytonville Via Paskenta and Covelo. Never done it but seems like a good ride. 136 mi each way. Not sure how much is dirt from paskenta to Laytonville. Anyone know?
Ive done it,theres a rt turn rt out of Covelo that hooks left onto a dirt road that comes rt out in Laytonville. 2 miles south of Laytonville theres a rt onto a dirt road that supposedly comes out in ft bragg,I havent tried that one yet.
Theres also Zenia rd that goes out of Covelo and ties in to various other roads and can go to hiway 36 at Mad River or veer off in another direction and come out in Garberville. Lots of possibilitys out that way.
I also rode a 400 mile dualsport ride this summer from Wildwood on hiway 36 to Fortuna and back again,80% on dirt roads and all on back roads.
Pretty fun and saw some great back country.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:22 AM   #159
LaPorte
Gnarly Adventurer

I also rode a 400 mile dualsport ride this summer from Wildwood on hiway 36 to Fortuna and back again,80% on dirt roads and all on back roads.
Pretty fun and saw some great back country

I rode the Wildwood 400 this summer also, it was fun!

LaPorte
Old 10-07-2010, 09:30 PM   #160
Bob Tosi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,600
Quote:
This first part of Cohasset needs the gas! I started into it and just had t gas it and stand on the pegs. Let the bike do its thing and made it right through.
When you're lost in the wild and scared as a child. And death looks you bang in the eye, and your sore as a boil, its according to Hoyle to cock your revolver... and die. But the code of a man says "fight all you can" and self-dissolution is barred. In hunger and woe, its easy to blow... Its the hell-served-for-breakfast thats hard........Robert Service
Bob Tosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:49 AM   #161
2manyrides
shifty charactor

Oddometer: 1,583
Are they ahead of schedule?

Quote:
Bridge that crosses the south forkis of the American river just north of Placerville is under repair and won't be open until Oct 22nd.

Laporte

Might be it'll be open on the 24th????

and here's my channel...
http://www.youtube.com/user/2manyrides?feature=mhsn#p/u
2manyrides is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:27 AM   #162
LaPorte
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22manyrides

Might be it'll be open on the 24th????
22many

I have talked with the county folks. The work may be done by the 22nd they weren't sure. On their web page it said open on Oct 22nd and the sign said Oct 31st. According to the guy in charge, they have found more damage with the bridge than they had anticiapated. I am going to call them next week and see what the opening date will be.

LaPorte
Old 10-08-2010, 09:24 AM   #163
2manyrides
shifty charactor

Oddometer: 1,583
Quote:
22many

I am going to call them.

LaPorte
There ya go, no surprises.

Still not sure what's going on that weekend, but might want to hook up in route on sunday. Maybe meet in placerville and ride north with the group.

and here's my channel...
http://www.youtube.com/user/2manyrides?feature=mhsn#p/u
2manyrides is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:04 PM   #164
LaPorte
Gnarly Adventurer

Browsville to Placerville ride with a twist

The ride from Brownsville to Placerville is postponed due to the rain this week end. I had changed the over night stay from Placerville to Auburn so I could ride the Donner Train Tunnels with the group from Modesto. They were to pick up a second group of riders in Auburn.

So now it looks like the 28th and 29th will be nice weather and I bet you, there woun't be any dust.

LaPorte
Old 10-27-2010, 10:29 PM   #165
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
The ride from Brownsville to Placerville is postponed due to the rain this week end. I had changed the over night stay from Placerville to Auburn so I could ride the Donner Train Tunnels with the group from Modesto. They were to pick up a second group of riders in Auburn.

So now it looks like the 28th and 29th will be nice weather and I bet you, there woun't be any dust.

LaPorte
Dang! That sounds like fun,Ive got a family commitment this weekend though. Ive also just found a deal on a 08 KTM 200 EXC-W,Ive got to get it out and blast it around soon.