ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2014, 09:42 PM   #1666
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 319
Kissing your fender

Does video work done like this.
Test video.

Hop-Sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:23 AM   #1667
KyoXR
Clouds, Snow, Rain

Oddometer: 547
Ha! nice!
Old 02-06-2014, 06:46 AM   #1668
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 11,006
Video worked great,we dont do a ton of bike kissing here in Butte County though. Rossi has been known to kiss his Yamaha after a good win,never once did the Ducati get a smooch.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:59 AM   #1669
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hop-Sing View Post
Greeves, Montesa. you teaser, what year. Is the Greeves a trials bike.
Its a one of a kind Greeves in that a friend's dad took it all apart when it was nearly new,chromed a bunch of parts on it,painted the bodywork pearl white/black in a 60's paint scheme and then it doesnt look like it ever got ridden much.

Its a 1968 360 Challenger with leading link ft end,the bike really pulls the ft room together and has sat there for years now. Its a runner though,and shiny.

The Montesa I found up in Cottonwood a couple years ago,it runs great.
It had been rebuilt top to bottom not long before I got it,powder coated frame,SS spokes,etc,engine redone bottom and top,new Amal square body carb,tires fresh. It starts up and goes like a new bike.

Its a 1976 250 Enduro,I dont know what I'll do with it but I had to have it.
Montesa made 600 of them total in 76.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:08 PM   #1670
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Vintage event

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Its a one of a kind Greeves in that a friend's dad took it all apart when it was nearly new,chromed a bunch of parts on it,painted the bodywork pearl white/black in a 60's paint scheme and then it doesn't look like it ever got ridden much.

Its a 1968 360 Challenger with leading link ft end,the bike really pulls the ft room together and has sat there for years now. Its a runner though,and shiny.

The Montesa I found up in Cottonwood a couple years ago,it runs great.
It had been rebuilt top to bottom not long before I got it,powder coated frame,SS spokes,etc,engine redone bottom and top,new Amal square body carb,tires fresh. It starts up and goes like a new bike.

Its a 1976 250 Enduro,I dont know what I'll do with it but I had to have it.
Montesa made 600 of them total in 76.
So make sure you don't miss out on the Events we are having out at Chrome soon. First on is an AHRMA National that is going to have its first "big" event out at this location.
Several years ago I started having our Club events out on a Friends ranch, It has grown in popularity and the neighbor across the street has giving permission to have a much larger event.
People like Dick Mann are still involved, I will be helping as well. It is a two day event one will be Vintage Trials and the next a Vintage mx race.
then in 3 weeks or so I will hold our club event.
Don't have the dates on me now.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:23 PM   #1671
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
So make sure you don't miss out on the Events we are having out at Chrome soon. First on is an AHRMA National that is going to have its first "big" event out at this location.
Several years ago I started having our Club events out on a Friends ranch, It has grown in popularity and the neighbor across the street has giving permission to have a much larger event.
People like Dick Mann are still involved, I will be helping as well. It is a two day event one will be Vintage Trials and the next a Vintage mx race.
then in 3 weeks or so I will hold our club event.
Don't have the dates on me now.
The Greeves is TOO shiny to race,and been sitting a while and has quit leaking now,needs gaskets/its english.

The Montesa is 2 years too new,but a friend in Paradise has 4 Bultacos and Im in negotiations to race 1 of those,its doubtful.

The MX will be out in a huge field with hills going here and there?
Old 02-07-2014, 08:08 AM   #1672
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Needs gaskets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
The Greeves is TOO shiny to race,and been sitting a while and has quit leaking now,needs gaskets/its english.

The Montesa is 2 years too new,but a friend in Paradise has 4 Bultacos and I'm in negotiations to race 1 of those,its doubtful.

The MX will be out in a huge field with hills going here and there?
When you go to an AHRMA event all the bikes have a pan under them. and a rag, then it was kitty litter. now I see people using Diapers.
there are years that fall between the cracks, But your montesa may qualify in the "Classic". Our club it would be a twin shock. But I could be wrong as it is confusing, even for someone that isn't "Nuts"

There will be lots of "to shiny "bikes out there. Some will even ride them. I would love to get my hands on one of Dick Mann's hand made bike. I have a friend that has one and competes on it. {Tom Stowers} Its sweet, and I would have to ride the 4 line on it and only on a easy loop, only because I would be afraid of scratching it.

Yes, its a huge field, and rolling hills. snuggled up against a 5 hundred foot "Rocky Ridge". RD 306 At Burrow's gap. that is approx 2 miles from North end of rd 306. Or 2 miles North of Chrome ca. population 8. very private property, but we get to use it for this event. Due to "Friendship", and a big insurance policy.

Again I ask if you want to be an Official checker at one of my events let me know. It is not for pay just a fun time. Lunch is supplied and its only 4 hours of "Checking". I could teach you how in just a couple minutes and you would be an Official Checker at one of the sections. I use just one Checker per section and this will give you a chance to interact with each rider as they come through. Very interesting and rewarding as you will learn more about Trials in 4 hours than imaginable.

this would be for the Pits event at the end of April. The AHRMA event will provide their own checker's.

Hop-Sing
Old 02-07-2014, 08:56 AM   #1673
Hookalatch
Old and in the way

Oddometer: 273
Quote:
When you go to an AHRMA event all the bikes have a pan under them. and a rag, then it was kitty litter. now I see people using Diapers.
there are years that fall between the cracks, But your montesa may qualify in the "Classic". Our club it would be a twin shock. But I could be wrong as it is confusing, even for someone that isn't "Nuts"

There will be lots of "to shiny "bikes out there. Some will even ride them. I would love to get my hands on one of Dick Mann's hand made bike. I have a friend that has one and competes on it. {Tom Stowers} Its sweet, and I would have to ride the 4 line on it and only on a easy loop, only because I would be afraid of scratching it.

Yes, its a huge field, and rolling hills. snuggled up against a 5 hundred foot "Rocky Ridge". RD 306 At Burrow's gap. that is approx 2 miles from North end of rd 306. Or 2 miles North of Chrome ca. population 8. very private property, but we get to use it for this event. Due to "Friendship", and a big insurance policy.

Again I ask if you want to be an Official checker at one of my events let me know. It is not for pay just a fun time. Lunch is supplied and its only 4 hours of "Checking". I could teach you how in just a couple minutes and you would be an Official Checker at one of the sections. I use just one Checker per section and this will give you a chance to interact with each rider as they come through. Very interesting and rewarding as you will learn more about Trials in 4 hours than imaginable.

this would be for the Pits event at the end of April. The AHRMA event will provide their own checker's.

Hop-Sing
I went to one of the PITS events you hold a couple of years ago. I stumbled onto it by accident because I was just out for a ride and wasn't able to stay long but it was very worth watching- even for someone not interested in humiliating himself by trying even the beginner routes.

I wouldn't even try to take my bike up the trail between sections unless their was a clear trail and I could get some speed up. Hiking up to some of the higher sections would be challenging. Will you offer life support for volunteers?

I hope to attend one or both or these events but to be honest, I would hesitate to volunteer as a sole checker. I have no doubt you can quickly explain the scoring but after watching these competitors, especially the advanced groups I don't think I am ready to judge them. I had too many questions in my mind about scoring just watching.

Chuck
Hookalatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:58 AM   #1674
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

checking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookalatch View Post
I went to one of the PITS events you hold a couple of years ago. I stumbled onto it by accident because I was just out for a ride and wasn't able to stay long but it was very worth watching- even for someone not interested in humiliating himself by trying even the beginner routes.

I wouldn't even try to take my bike up the trail between sections unless their was a clear trail and I could get some speed up. Hiking up to some of the higher sections would be challenging. Will you offer life support for volunteers?

I hope to attend one or both or these events but to be honest, I would hesitate to volunteer as a sole checker. I have no doubt you can quickly explain the scoring but after watching these competitors, especially the advanced groups I don't think I am ready to judge them. I had too many questions in my mind about scoring just watching.

Chuck
It is very easy to "Check". there is really not much to "Judge".
It is called "Observed trials". put you foot down it is a 1 {Like one point}
put your foot down again it is 2 {one more point} put your foot down again it is 3. {another point} after that if you put your foot down no more points added. unless you "fail" at witch point you receive a 5. {you cant get a 4}
There are several ways to "fail". ie stalled motor, with foot down. running over boundries, missing a split gate, both feet on one side of bike, both feet on ground behind axle. Rolling backward maybe the only judgment call. and then you just need to be consistent, 8 inches maybe 14 inches. 5.
also if you wanted to do it I sometimes use more than one checker per section. I only have 8 sections on Saturday and 10 on Sunday. But this event most people want to ride and not work because it is such a great spot. Anybody that shows up should ask for me and I will give you special VIP treatment. I am in complete control of the 4/26/14 date. and the 27th I have friends "organizing" so I can compete, but will still be able to get you VIP status. as I am the main Organizer for the Pits event. The AHRMA event is ran by them using my help as I am the founder of this location with the "friend" card.
Also anyone checking may ride their bike or car to the section. Chuck you could ride your bike to almost every section. Sit in a lawn chair and just punch cards. Want to see a few pictures?

this is Tom on a Dick Mann hand built bike. And this is the Rocky Ridge trial.

Hop-Sing screwed with this post 02-07-2014 at 12:03 PM
Old 02-09-2014, 09:35 AM   #1675
visualizerent
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Trials Event

Hop Sing izzat u kissin' the fender? Great Vid!..."This doesn't look good Dad..."

Like Hookalatch I stumbled upon this Trials event a few years back on our annual Leesville Rd springtime street ride loop. I've been intrigued ever since and am convinced trials would be the best practice to improve overall riding skills.

Schedule permitting I would love to volunteer as an observer(judge) I can still count to 5 (barely). This would be a good family event and a great way to learn the sport too. I won't know if I'm available until about 3 weeks prior to the event. Keep us posted!

Meanwhile, just got back from 4 Daze of riding in Death Valley w/ StevefromGV. See the Death Valley Daze regional thread. Here's a shitload of my pics here...Good time, easy riding-HUGE distances, limited daylight riding hours.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4037271...7640319890155/

Juan
Nevada City
KTM 350 EXC-F
visualizerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:21 AM   #1676
Foot dragger
singletracker

Nice pics and looks like a fun ride,I bashed my DR650 up Echo canyon once,we did have some carnage back in the pack though.

Its a great time of year to head out that way.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:43 PM   #1677
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 324
Foot dragger's new DR650 promotional video is up:

This is my WIFE, here are my BIKES, and these are my STORIES: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897188
BanhXeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 03:37 PM   #1678
KyoXR
Clouds, Snow, Rain

Oddometer: 547
That's pretty funny, what's a KDM? and what kind of "OL" does it run?
Old 02-09-2014, 04:21 PM   #1679
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 324
Great Pics Juan
This is my WIFE, here are my BIKES, and these are my STORIES: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897188
BanhXeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:42 PM   #1680
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by visualizerent View Post
Hop Sing izzat u kissin' the fender? Great Vid!..."This doesn't look good Dad..."

Like Hookalatch I stumbled upon this Trials event a few years back on our annual Leesville Rd springtime street ride loop. I've been intrigued ever since and am convinced trials would be the best practice to improve overall riding skills.

Schedule permitting I would love to volunteer as an observer(judge) I can still count to 5 (barely). This would be a good family event and a great way to learn the sport too. I won't know if I'm available until about 3 weeks prior to the event. Keep us posted!

Meanwhile, just got back from 4 Daze of riding in Death Valley w/ StevefromGV. See the Death Valley Daze regional thread. Here's a shitload of my pics here...Good time, easy riding-HUGE distances, limited daylight riding hours.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4037271...7640319890155/

Juan
Nevada City
KTM 350 EXC-F
Yes it's me kissing the fender. All you gotta do is come to the event. I always stress about having checkers. Will keep in touch. Our club property is only 45 minutes up the hill from grass Valley. corner of hwy 20 and I-80 eagle lakes turn off. Right by signal Peak.
Yes this is a very good family type of sport. Our Saturday events are great for lower end riders. anybody that can let a clutch out could compete. camp and watch the more serious riders Sunday.