ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2014, 07:47 AM   #1876
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
Downieville

Looks like a good ride planned for Downieville area. July 17th.
I meet this guy {Catfish}, I wished I had a bike to ride this kind of single track.
I love this area.
Hop-Sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:01 AM   #1877
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hop-Sing View Post
Looks like a good ride planned for Downieville area. July 17th.
I meet this guy {Catfish}, I wished I had a bike to ride this kind of single track.
I love this area.
Life is very short,you will never regret buying a good trailbike,its the most fun ever! Maybe do it now as we could be the last generation CA allows into it's forest's.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:07 AM   #1878
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
Regrets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Life is very short,you will never regret buying a good trailbike,its the most fun ever! Maybe do it now as we could be the last generation CA allows into it's forest's.
There is a good reason I don't have a good trail bike.
I just cant because of health reasons. I have learned what my limits are. I can still walk some and don't want to completely wreck myself. I am lucky to ride as much as I do.

As for riding in the forest. I have a bit of a different look on it. We are spoiled, silver spoon in our mouths.
If your a fisherman you bitch about new limitations.
If your a hunter you bitch about land closers and such.
If your a logger you cant cut the trees down anymore.
and I could go on and on.
We wouldn't bitch about our Freedom if we never had it.

I do feel lucky to have rode so much land. and never enjoy a closed gate.
Hop-Sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 11:20 AM   #1879
Swashplate

Oddometer: 1,150
Wicked

Just a link for the 1st Annual Sagebrush Ballyhoo

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=980210
Old 05-23-2014, 07:12 AM   #1880
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hop-Sing View Post
There is a good reason I don't have a good trail bike.
I just cant because of health reasons. I have learned what my limits are. I can still walk some and don't want to completely wreck myself. I am lucky to ride as much as I do.

As for riding in the forest. I have a bit of a different look on it. We are spoiled, silver spoon in our mouths.
If your a fisherman you bitch about new limitations.
If your a hunter you bitch about land closers and such.
If your a logger you cant cut the trees down anymore.
and I could go on and on.
We wouldn't bitch about our Freedom if we never had it.

I do feel lucky to have rode so much land. and never enjoy a closed gate.
I guess that's one way to look at it,having had freedoms now we can miss them as they are taken away.

The govt and the USFS are owned and paid for by the public,as are the public lands they are closing, we should be grateful they once allowed us to use them................ I dont know many folks who prescribe to that idea.
The Tahoe Nat Forest is going through a 90% closure of public useage areas,and the Plumas is heading that way,both have lawsuits in motion against the closures.
Old 05-24-2014, 05:40 PM   #1881
mrgizmow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Restrictions and the future

At 65, I miss the freedom and access that I had. Yes, I resent the gates and the "no motorized vehicles" signs. However, at this point in my life I can recall 'zillions of trails to no-where'. Short-cuts, cross-cuts, deep-cuts and VERY deep ruts. Truth be told, if I owned any property that was used in such a disrespectful manner, I would close it off to everyone as well. Without question, the government is flawed and likely they are no more capable of making 'good' decisions than many of us.

I have ridden trails/logging roads for many years. Trash and abandon vehicles in areas that make you wonder how in hell people got this stuff there. Would you want to pay to extract that junk? A few of 'the other guys' have machines with gobs of horse-power and low end torque and could give a shit about mud and marginal traction. Generally, the result is holes so deep what the route is trashed for commerce and travel for all but the most intrepid adventurer.

Yes, at times, we all like a challenge. Then again, if you wanted/needed to move along this path with the expectation of dealing with modest issues you are left with a real issues.

Seems many of us (me) would like the powers-to-be to let us/me use what catches our/my eye. Yes, we all must respect Private Property.

When it comes to 'public' lands, it seems to me, our expectation is, it should be available. Well likely the logging companies feel the same.

Over the years, I have been to more than a couple of ORV parks. Great places to play if you have no other option. When I go exploring I enjoy smelling damp earth and hearing wildlife. As well, am generally resistant to suggesting to my partner, or passer-by that short-cutting trails, or seeing if they can climb the 'hill over there' is likely counter productive for off-pavement explorers as a whole.

I am not trying to be 'self-righteous'. I know I have and continue to be part of the problem. I use to try and climb anything without considering erosion. Now I am resisting becoming a steward and 'policing' the places that I have enjoyed exploring.

My current opinion is, we are a very flawed organism. Nature will likely shit on us as we did 'her' and move on.

Perhaps we will see the light. Likely the problem is your's and mine; not the 'other guys'. Gerry

mrgizmow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 06:04 AM   #1882
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgizmow View Post
At 65, I miss the freedom and access that I had. Yes, I resent the gates and the "no motorized vehicles" signs. However, at this point in my life I can recall 'zillions of trails to no-where'. Short-cuts, cross-cuts, deep-cuts and VERY deep ruts. Truth be told, if I owned any property that was used in such a disrespectful manner, I would close it off to everyone as well. Without question, the government is flawed and likely they are no more capable of making 'good' decisions than many of us.

I have ridden trails/logging roads for many years. Trash and abandon vehicles in areas that make you wonder how in hell people got this stuff there. Would you want to pay to extract that junk? A few of 'the other guys' have machines with gobs of horse-power and low end torque and could give a shit about mud and marginal traction. Generally, the result is holes so deep what the route is trashed for commerce and travel for all but the most intrepid adventurer.

Yes, at times, we all like a challenge. Then again, if you wanted/needed to move along this path with the expectation of dealing with modest issues you are left with a real issues.

Seems many of us (me) would like the powers-to-be to let us/me use what catches our/my eye. Yes, we all must respect Private Property.

When it comes to 'public' lands, it seems to me, our expectation is, it should be available. Well likely the logging companies feel the same.

Over the years, I have been to more than a couple of ORV parks. Great places to play if you have no other option. When I go exploring I enjoy smelling damp earth and hearing wildlife. As well, am generally resistant to suggesting to my partner, or passer-by that short-cutting trails, or seeing if they can climb the 'hill over there' is likely counter productive for off-pavement explorers as a whole.

I am not trying to be 'self-righteous'. I know I have and continue to be part of the problem. I use to try and climb anything without considering erosion. Now I am resisting becoming a steward and 'policing' the places that I have enjoyed exploring.

My current opinion is, we are a very flawed organism. Nature will likely shit on us as we did 'her' and move on.

Perhaps we will see the light. Likely the problem is your's and mine; not the 'other guys'. Gerry

Youve brought up almost every negative thing about trail riding pretty well,but saying "it'll never work" "Nothing can be done" "Im not interested in helping anyways" Is precisely why things happen like they do.

CA's extreme green has had it's way here,they have more money.

Colorado has a huge bunch of trail networks,the state sends people to maintain it,they have a huge trail access/education organization,OHV brings a billion dollars a year to CO,and like most states they are broke and like money. Rutted trails can be fixed,our local club here does it all the time.

Clear cutting land,or having an 18" wide trail through it are two very different things,hard to compare logging to trailriding.

Giving up is what most casual riders do,they dont want to be involved.
Luckily there are the 2% that will dig in and try to work with the land closing govt.
Old 05-25-2014, 07:23 AM   #1883
8lives
Runnin on wonder

Oddometer: 1,574
Good stuff guys,I don't know much about these things in general,but these times they are a' changing and unless you just hang out in the city and buy into what is available for fun it's okay,but as with many of us who choose a mountain top for place to smile and refresh its all to apparent that our freedom is changing,my perception.
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 08:21 AM   #1884
mrgizmow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Do nothing and NOTHING gets done...

Good for you Foot Dragger, it is a shame you represent only 2% of the population. I agree with everything you said, and yes, on this issue it seems I have given up. Perhaps my contribution is on another front.

Thanks for your concern and willingness to champion this issue. Gerry
mrgizmow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 01:08 PM   #1885
Foot dragger
singletracker

Group pic on top of a 1500' granite dome,we had just ridden singletrack down the canyon wall in the background,many vertical drops off big rocks,probably a 1 mph average trying to get down in 1 piece,then a nice cool creek crossing at the bottom.

Ive never once seen another rider out on this trail,or a fresh tire mark. Sierra Nevada's are beautiful!

Old 05-27-2014, 01:46 PM   #1886
slowerthanu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
hey footdragger keep up the good work! I apreciate your attitude and your hard work! there are some like minded people here in the cencal sierras,who do fihght for our rights,and keep the trails clear. I quit hanging out with whiners and naysayers a long time ago, no time for them.
husaberg fe570 plated
slowerthanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 05:34 PM   #1887
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgizmow View Post
Good for you Foot Dragger, it is a shame you represent only 2% of the population. I agree with everything you said, and yes, on this issue it seems I have given up. Perhaps my contribution is on another front.

Thanks for your concern and willingness to champion this issue. Gerry
I dont think it's 2% of the population,more like a small percentage of people who ride trails.

We have 75 people in our trailriding club,at times maybe 9 of them will show up to fix a trail. Most of the others would like to be shown trails so they can GPS them for their buddies,we weed them out.
Most figure the govt will take care of things for them,so no worries.

Pacific Legal Foundation are the people taking on lawsuits pro bono to keep the forests somewhat open,contributing to them is a good way to help
Old 05-28-2014, 08:53 PM   #1888
oobus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Somewhere North of Crescent City 101 on Friday - beautiful!
Attached Images

oobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 12:22 AM   #1889
BanhXeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Hey guys. I fought pretty hard with this decision but the wife and I just bought a house and we are starting fresh with all our debt. I just payed the BMW off and need to find it a home. I sold the KTM a few weeks ago for part of the down payment on the house. Sorry I haven't been to active lately on the forums but I haven't been able to ride, though I still enjoy hearing about your guys' adventures! Hope to see some of you guys soon. Be Safe and have fun.

Here is the ADV ad if you guys know anyone that might be interested. Thanks
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=981880
This is my WIFE, here are my BIKES, and these are my STORIES: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897188
BanhXeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 06:36 AM   #1890
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,698
Good morning Jeramie...

Sorry to hear you're selling the bike but things change, glad you got into a house. Have you closed yet? I'd snap that bike up in a heartbeat if I could, I know you take good care of your stuff. Good luck with the sale of your bike.